too much sugar from fruit?

Options
I hope this isn't a repeat question. I have noticed that it is very easy to consume too much sugar from fruit. For example, today I had a large apple at lunch, and that alone was 22g of sugar - about half of my daily allotment. Then if you add in the banana I had with breakfast and some grapes in the afternoon, I have too much sugar!

I like fruit, and I used to eat some with every meal, as well as for a snack, but I started to cut back when I saw myself consistently consuming too much sugar. I always assumed fruit was a safe snack, and it helps curb my sugar cravings. But should I be worried if it consistently puts me over my sugar limit (sometimes way over)? I'm very careful to avoid added sugar most of the time. Does anyone have any experience or insight with this problem?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, there is no such thing as too much fruit. I often exceed the MFP recommendation, but I'm okay with that and so is the doctor. :)
  • infomancer
    infomancer Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It's a decision for you to make, but for me personally:

The WHO draft guidelines on sugar intake explicitly address free (added) sugars and specifically exclude intrinsic sugars in whole foods like fruit and vegetables.

I don't have any health issues related to blood glucose-levels and feel I benefit more from the nutritional content of produce than any risks from their intrinsic sugar content.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Nope. Fruit is good.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Unless you are either diabetic or insulin resistant I wouldn't worry about it. Most people I know just try to make sure they aren't going over their number in added sugars and back out the natural sugars from fruits and veggies.
  • mrsmammahunter
    mrsmammahunter Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    my doc said you can never have enough fruit as long as your not eating a bag of apples and a liter of coke your good
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1181259-so-what-s-with-this-sugar-then-revised-faq-jan-2014

Banana is the highest sugar fruit, grapes are second.

Australia suggests 90g/day of total sugar intake.
  • fit4eva86
    fit4eva86 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If your looking to reduce bodyfat then stick to 1-2 portions a day just until you reach your target, I hate personal trainers who recomend no fruit! it is not healthy. We get our vitimins from lots of fruit and vegetables and we need it for healthy digestion, healthy hair and nails and so on. Berrys are the best to eat. blue, black and rasp and apples and pears.