Is there an ideal macronutrients % target?

Options
I am pretty new. I like the app, but have basically just been calculating calories. I have issues with high glucose and lipids which I am trying to improve with diet and exercise. I tried cutting down on carbs before and I lost weight but my cholesterol went up, I think because I ate more fats. Is it an individual thing or is there a certain % that works well. I am not as concerned with losing quickly as I am with the other health issues.

Replies

• Really would depend on your goal.... atm my highest % is protein... followed by good fats (nuts avocado & fats that come from lean protein) then lowest percentage carbs... soon it will be equal % of protein and carbs and later higher carbs (if I want to bulk)

You really have to consider the types of fats you are letting into your diet are they saturated?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am trying to make changes. I was eating a lot of saturated fats. I do like nuts and avocados
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Really would depend on your goal.... atm my highest % is protein... followed by good fats (nuts avocado & fats that come from lean protein) then lowest percentage carbs... soon it will be equal % of protein and carbs and later higher carbs (if I want to bulk)

You really have to consider the types of fats you are letting into your diet are they saturated?
    What is your goal?
  • lorib642
    Options
    My goal is to stabilize my blood sugar and lipids, lose fat,
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Typically, a good starting point is 40% protein/carbs and 20% fat. This is not ideal for everyone, so feel free to alter these a bit to optimize your progress. Doing a diet higher in protein helps with weight loss. You do want carbs though, since they're fuel for your body. I've also done 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat for weight loss, but going that high on protein is not necessary.

Allan
  • lorib642
    Options
    Typically, a good starting point is 40% protein/carbs and 20% fat. This is not ideal for everyone, so feel free to alter these a bit to optimize your progress. Doing a diet higher in protein helps with weight loss. You do want carbs though, since they're fuel for your body. I've also done 50% protein, 30% carbs, and 20% fat for weight loss, but going that high on protein is not necessary.

Allan

Thank you. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    Doing this a pretty long time, I've found a 30/40/30 ratio works best for me. Lots of my clients have also done it this way with success.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    This is going to be different for everyone. I have higher protein right now due to the exercise I'm doing. You really are going to have to play around a bit BUT...http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    Scooby give's some ideal based on goals
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thanks, I will check out that website.