sports bra or tank?

Options
Hi, I was wondering, what's the best way to stay dry during a run for the upper body for females?
I've just been wearing cotton tanks and gotten used to it and I haven't gotten a sports bra, but I was thinking of buying something this week.

Is a sports bra or tank more useful? I don't want to spend too much money on it since it can get expensive, so I'll probably just buy one for now and see how it works.

Thanks!

Replies

• NoMoreBlameGame
    NoMoreBlameGame Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I don't know about staying dry (I'm soaked at the gym no matter what I wear)...but I do know that without a sports bra, my boobage could easily smack me from here to kingdom come during my workouts at the gym (and I have small boobs despite my weight).

I think you should buy one...if nothing else, to keep the girls tucked in, and happy. I'm not a runner (bad knees/bad hips), but my boobs hurt just thinking about running without a sports bra...ouch.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Both, unless you plan on running in just a sports bra. Are you running in a tank top without a bra or in a tank tops with the bra built in? I'd get a supportive sports bra and some moisture wicking tank tops. If you don't need a lot of support, you might like the running tank tops with the bra built it.

You're not going to stay dry in a cotton tank top, especially if it's humid.
  • VitaminAmy
    VitaminAmy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love my moisture wicking sports bras.
    I wear both cotton tanks and athletic styles equally... I feel that the bras are most important in my running wardrobe.

I got 'em for around $20 each on Amazon, Champion brand (I prefer buying the ones based on cup size, not s/m/l they seem less accurate for sizing)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I don't know about staying dry (I'm soaked at the gym no matter what I wear)...but I do know that without a sports bra, my boobage could easily smack me from here to kingdom come during my workouts at the gym (and I have small boobs despite my weight).

I think you should buy one...if nothing else, to keep the girls tucked in, and happy. I'm not a runner (bad knees/bad hips), but my boobs hurt just thinking about running without a sports bra...ouch.
    ROFL as soon as I saw the OP's question, this is exactly the response I thought of. Having lost a lot of weight previously and then had a child, not only would I slap myself silly, but people within a two foot radius would be also be in the danger zone :laugh: :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well you're wearing cotton, that's probably #1 in terms of staying dry.

wearing moisture wicking materials is really helpful when working out if you're a sweater
  • slemonfit
    slemonfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Now I have just been wearing a regular bra which is secure enough, but after a workout my tank is usually soaked.
    I think I'm going to get a sports bra first and see how that goes and maybe my tank will stay drier too.

Thanks for the responess!
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options

I disagree- you need to avoid cotton when you are running. Cotton soaks up the sweat but it retains moisture so you end up running in a wet soggy top. Buy a tank in "wicking fabric" - usually has a silky look to it and made from polyester. Sounds vile but that's what most runners wear over their sports bra to keep cool. Good luck with the running. (Edited for typo)
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I disagree- you need to avoid cotton when you are running. Cotton soaks up the sweat but it retains moisture so you end up running in a wet soggy top. Buy a tank in "wicking fabric" - usually has a silky look to it and made from polyester. Sounds vile but that's what most runners wear over their sports bra to keep cool. Good luck with the running. (Edited for typo)
    This! Cotton isn't good for keeping dry. Most experts will recommend avoiding it and wearing a moisture-wicking fabric instead. If you're comfortable in just a sports bra, do it! If you're like me and a little shy (due to some scars from surgery in my case), pop a tank top on. Wear whatever you're going to be most comfortable and at ease in so your focus is on your run!
  • pikanchi
    pikanchi Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    +1ing the suggestions for a sports bra and/or a moisture wicking top. That said, I find (personally) that I tend to feel more ... clammy, I guess, when I work out at the gym versus outside, but that's purely due to the fact that the gym tends to be quite humid even with the air con on, whereas when I'm going for a run outside, the air's cooler and moving, which helps WRT my levels of comfort as far as sweat goes (at least until I stop moving!!)

At the end of the day, though, you're never (or at least you shouldn't be!) going to stay dry during a run. You'll be able to be run in clothing that works with the sweat better, but that's about it.
  • DragonfliesOnWings
    Options
    If you're female you NEED a sports bra. Sounds like you already have some tanks. I would guess you are not well endowed or this wouldn't even be a question. There are cute compression bras at most department stores that are inexpensive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    buy a sports bra.

A regular bra isn't going to cut it.

Wear whatever you are happiest with on top of it- you're going to soak your clothes if you are a sweater no matter what you wear.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Regardless of size, I believe we need sports bras to hold our breasts in place becasue, well, I don't know if it's true or not but won't they get more floppy of you don't fetter them?
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you're doing any running or is cup B and above, I would buy a sports-bra. Look at it as an investment in firm tissue down the road:)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

wearing moisture wicking materials is really helpful when working out if you're a sweater
    Cotton is one of the worst things you can wear when running it holds all the misture so unless you want to be chaffed within an inch of your life don't do it. Go for technical man made tops

http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ss/14-Things-Every-New-Runner-Should-Know_2.htm
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options

ROFL as soon as I saw the OP's question, this is exactly the response I thought of. Having lost a lot of weight previously and then had a child, not only would I slap myself silly, but people within a two foot radius would be also be in the danger zone :laugh: :laugh:

I was thinking the same thing, not for fear of slapping myself with them (because quite frankly there just is not that much there for me :wink: ) but because the thought of running with no bra or support (even with my b cups) sounds extremely uncomfortable.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Sports Bra + Dryfit Tank = WIN. Seriously, look into clothing that's dry fit or moisture wicking.
  • jmt08c
    jmt08c Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    +1ing the suggestions for a sports bra and/or a moisture wicking top. That said, I find (personally) that I tend to feel more ... clammy, I guess, when I work out at the gym versus outside, but that's purely due to the fact that the gym tends to be quite humid even with the air con on, whereas when I'm going for a run outside, the air's cooler and moving, which helps WRT my levels of comfort as far as sweat goes (at least until I stop moving!!)

At the end of the day, though, you're never (or at least you shouldn't be!) going to stay dry during a run. You'll be able to be run in clothing that works with the sweat better, but that's about it.

You clearly do not live in Florida if you sweat more in a gym than outside.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    The Florida thing... so true. And applies to anywhere in the south.

Edited because I can't quote good.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I just bought a really nice moisture wicking sports bra and it's amazing! I put it on after I stepped out of the shower (I wear a bra 24/7, Dr's orders) and it instantly pulled any stray water drops that I missed after a 1 second dry off.

Amazon has some really good sports bras on sale everynow and then. There's also Herroom.com and Barenecessities.com but they can be very pricy is you don't shop the sales.