Will a 1000 calorie deficit ruin my metabolism??

Options
Hello :) I'm Steph, an 18 year old, 164cm, and after a few years of being unhappy with my weight I have decided to lose the last 17kgs.
I am actually going on holidays overseas in early January and I really really am hoping to lose the weight before then.
I'm playing it safe and have decided on a daily deficit of 1000 calories.
I know there are a lot of controversies, where people think it isn't safe if you're not really overweight, or it might induce eating disorders and everything like that and I know the risks and everything.

I'm deciding to eat a base of 800 calories a day, and eat back exercise calories.
30% vegetables, 20% fruits/sweeter vegetables like carrots, 30% protein, e.g. eggs, egg whites, protein powder (isolate), 20% fats/dairy.
I will juice my vegetables most days to get the maximum nutrition, vitamins and minerals without feeling stuffed.

My lifestyle is pretty sedentary, but I do workout for at least 45 minutes a day. 4 days a week I do strength training. I drink heaps of green tea, lemon+water, ginger etc to rev up my metabolism

Okay thanks for reading all that! From your past experiences or what you know, is this a safe regime to go on? Will this destroy my metabolism??
NOTE: I have 19 weeks exactly until my holiday, so I will only do this 1000 calorie deficit for 3 1/2 months.
THEN I'm going back to a normal healthy diet.

Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it :)

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    This is a terrible idea.
  • veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options

NOTE: I have 19 weeks exactly until my holiday, so I will only do this 1000 calorie deficit for 3 1/2 months.
    THEN I'm going back to a normal healthy diet.

^^^ You just said you know it's not normal or healthy. It won't be sustainable, not even for more than a few weeks I'm guessing. Just lose the weight the right way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds overly complicated and totally unsustainable over time. Don't set yourself up for failure. :flowerforyou:
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What is your current weight? Without knowing that, it is hard to tell if a 1,000 calorie deficit is appropriate. I am supposed to have a 1,000 calorie deficit, but I also weigh 300 lbs.
  • occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know people with serious eating issues who only eat 800 and they don't do half as much exercise as you plan. Drinking green tea and all that crap doesn't 'rev up' your metabolism, your metabolism is a set thing, starving yourself, and self induced vomiting are two things I know from experience that slow it down. What you plan is unhealthy, stick to a minimum of 1200 calories per day if you don't want to a) get into binge cycles and b) gain a lot of the weight back when you go back to your normal diet.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    So, here's the low down: if you wanted to lose 17kg before your vacation, you should have started like 6 months ago.

800 calories, even if you're tiny already, is too little.

Here are a few links explain what you could be risking: including damage to your heart, hair loss, and mental illness.
    http://eating-disorders.org.uk/information/the-effects-of-under-eating/
    http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/why-undereating-works-against-you
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/421552-undereating-stomach-fat/
    http://www.eatingdisordersonline.com/articles/general/what-are-the-effects-of-under-eating

Since you're 18, I did some more magazine-y type sources that were nice and easy reads instead of all scientific.
  • tehmiminator
    Options
    Do people actually do this?? This is insane!
  • JewelsSparkles
    JewelsSparkles Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was eating WAY more than that & exercising less than that for a much shorter period than you're planning to when my metabolism broke. 1 year & 20+kgs of excess fat later, I'm STILL struggling to repair it.

Don't do it, seriously. It's not worth it.