No weight loss after 21 days of goal calories! What's up??

Options
Ok so I maybe I should stop weighing myself all together?? I've been under my calories or very close to it for 21 days! I feel better and I feel my clothes fitting better. My husband says he notices a difference too! but my weight will NOT go down. It's kinda worrisome and definitely discouraging. Did anyone else experience this when they were starting out? :frown:

Replies

• thinkz
    thinkz Posts: 11
    Options
    i'm in the same boat. i lost a few and now i'm not loosing any at all. I'm asking the same question !
  • xboomerx
    xboomerx Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Time for a measuring tape. Sometimes weight is not the best way to tell if what you are doing is working. You say your clothes are fitting better - get a tape and track your measurements forget the scale for awhile.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Keep working at it. your body needs time. when we where all gaining weight and eating what ever we wanted did we look at the scale everyday and say dam didnt gain a pound this month, wha'ts wrong with me. give your body time get your mind in the right place and the body will follow good luck and just go by your cloths for a while and be honest with yourself
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In addition to what xboomerx said, how low have you set your goal? One half or three quarters of a pound/week sounds about right for you, given you have only about 15 or so pounds to lose (I don't know how tall you are but presume you're either within or very close to the "ideal" BMI range already. There are two possibilities:

1. You're eating more / exercising less than you think. Scrutinize your numbers. However....
    2. Given you and your husband notice a difference, very likely you ARE losing fat (though if you're too aggressive with your deficit, you'd also be losing muscle in a significant way, and you don't want that). Just give it some time. The body has an amazing capacity of keeping the weight stable, even if it does it by storing little bits of water all over. Don't force it.
  • SLV9
    SLV9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lose the scale for a couple weeks. If your clothes are fitting better and overall your seeing success without the scale then you probably are. A post above mentioned using a measuring tape. That would be a good trade off to the scale for a couple weeks.
  • thinkz
    Options
    If your in the gym 5 days a week switching up your cardio, Shouldn't you see some loss in weight and in your waist size ? I mean, I'm following the counter as best as i can and I'm getting a little discourage as well.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I recommend purchasing a heart rate monitor. I have noticed that the MFP estimates for burned calories are high. So, you may no be burning as many as you think and therefore not within your calorie limits. Also, when we get closer to our goal weights or only have a few pounds to lose, it comes off much slower. Hang in there, it sounds like you are losing fat and maybe adding muscle too since your measurements are getting smaller and clothes are getting looser!
  • thinkz
    Options
    it sounds like you are losing fat and maybe adding muscle too since your measurements are getting smaller and clothes are getting looser!

Sherri71,

When building muscle. Does it happen at the same time as loosing fat?
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Lose the scale. She is not your friend!!!! in fact she is like a girl that act friendly in your face but try to sleep with your boyfriend behind your back. LOL the mesuring tape is your friend and will tell you what is going on. I have lost a wooping 6 pounds but went from a size 12 to a size 6-4 in the same time.

If you do not lose inches or pounds.....time to take a hard look at what you are doing. If you can say truthfully that you are really doing everything right (eating enought but not too much, the right food) then you have to be patient.
  • wispykrispy
    wispykrispy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips guys!!! You're awesome
  • omgsayalathieo
    Options
    You might be losing inches first, that's what happened to me.
  • wispykrispy
    wispykrispy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In addition to what xboomerx said, how low have you set your goal? One half or three quarters of a pound/week sounds about right for you, given you have only about 15 or so pounds to lose (I don't know how tall you are but presume you're either within or very close to the "ideal" BMI range already.

I set my goal as 1 lb/week... and I am technically within my BMI range at 5'4" (at the very top :tongue: ) So maybe I am being too impatient/aggressive. I think I will try the tape measure too. Thanks!
  • onehicchic
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. After 3 weeks I finally started losing. I can actually feel a difference in my clothes. Only weigh yourself once a week or every 2 weeks. Otherwise you are going to drive yourself batty. HAHA