Giant deficit today?

Options
I went swimming for a few hours today. I'd say that it wasn't extensive or anything but I was moving around a lot. I then went on a jog tonight. I'm apparently at a 700 deficit today... I could definitely fit in another meal before I go to bed but not that big of a meal. Looking back on it now, I realize that I probably didn't eat enough yesterday either. If I am more cautious about what I eat on days like this will it be alright? I didn't mean to under eat. I don't usually count my calories but I decided to put it all in because I had been so active and I tend to add them when I don't follow my routine. I doubt a day will hurt me but wow. It's pretty much telling me that I only consumed 465 calories! I'll take into consideration that I may not have burned as many calories as it says I did. But even if I take away my exercise it leaves me at a 240 deficit. I don't want to hurt myself by under eating but sometimes days are really active? I managed to fit six small meals into my day and I only ate good food. .

Replies

• spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    My days are starting to look like this, too. In for answers and ideas.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You have to eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day, otherwise your metabolism slows down and your body goes into starvation mode. Now if you're burning calories thru exercise a good rule of thumb is to never eat back more than 1/2 of calories burned, because MFP and other devices have a history of overestimating burnt calories, and you could end up overeating your workouts.

Hope that helps.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This answer is completely false.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    seems he had a giant burn and didn't eat back his exercise calories.
  • I meant to say that I am 700+ calories under budget.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here, here.
    Looking for answers as well.
  • You have to eat a minimum of 1200 calories a day, otherwise your metabolism slows down and your body goes into starvation mode. Now if you're burning calories thru exercise a good rule of thumb is to never eat back more than 1/2 of calories burned, because MFP and other devices have a history of overestimating burnt calories, and you could end up overeating your workouts.

Hope that helps.

It doesn't, because it false.

OP, I don't understand what you mean by "deficit". You are using that term oddly. Do you mean you have calories left over? If so, eat. Or, do you mean something else?

What makes it false?
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    i very rarely eat back most of my exercise calories - i eat protein if i get hungry between meals - usually fat free greek yogurt, egg beaters or protein powder, but it rarely equals more than half my exercise calories and often equals a lot less. some people don't feel hungry but they will feel weak, shaky or dizzy - that's a sign to eat, too.

whether you use a HRM, an app or an online calc, most exercise calories are exaggerated. if you're not losing weight too fast (figure 1 to 2 pounds per week is safe), don't feel weak or dizzy, you're probably okay - and you're either eating more than you think or your burn is less than you think.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    i very rarely eat back most of my exercise calories - i eat protein if i get hungry between meals - usually fat free greek yogurt, egg beaters or protein powder, but it rarely equals more than half my exercise calories and often equals a lot less. some people don't feel hungry but they will feel weak, shaky or dizzy - that's a sign to eat, too.

whether you use a HRM, an app or an online calc, most exercise calories are exaggerated. if you're not losing weight too fast (figure 1 to 2 pounds per week is safe), don't feel weak or dizzy, you're probably okay - and you're either eating more than you think or your burn is less than you think.

Sounds good to me. Thanks!
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    welcome :)
    Sounds good to me. Thanks!
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

^ this.
    i have a 6000-10. 0000 weekly net calorie deficit .
    eat back max 30% of exrcise calories.
    losing 2llb +a week in a 3 month plan.with doctors oversight too.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Damm I thought this would be thread about Giants