should i run through knee pain?

Options
I've been running everyday for the past week and a half, so I'm thinking the knee pain is from a combination of the hard concrete/track, the extra weight of my body, and the sudden increase in activity. Should I take a day off, or should I power through? I'm addicted at this point, so I'm hoping you guys will tell me it's okay to run!

Replies

• bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should hold back a little or do some type of lowering impact exercise. You should see a physician if the pain never goes away to see if there is anything wrong.
  • PrairieSlims
    PrairieSlims Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to have your knee checked out.

Another option would be to walk instead of running. At least you would still be getting some exercise. If the
    pain continued I would have a few days rest and get it checked out.
  • GatorDeb1
    GatorDeb1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    You should NEVER do anything through pain. Soreness is fine, pain never is. Takes years of doing a bunch of stuff to be able to tell the difference of how each feels in your own body.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It's up to you OP. I'd take time off until the pain stops, then dial it down.

Over exuberance has ramifications from time to time.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Do not run through the knee pain or you may end up with a serious injury. Take a couple of days off. Are you a new runner or did you recently increase your run frequency and mileage? Either way, your body is telling you that you're doing too much and that you need to cut back and gradually increase. Also, are you doing any sort of strength training (see MYRTL links below)? Knee pain from running is often caused by doing too much too soon and muscle imbalances (weak glutes, weak hips, tight hamstrings, and tight quads). Were you fitted for running shoes? Poorly fitting shoes is another common cause.

Obviously if you continue to have pain you should make an appointment with a orthopedic.

MYRTL links:
    http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GLrKr54yA0
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    It would be better to take a few days off to rest and decrease the intensity of your runs, then see how it feels. With running it's important not to overdo it early on and instead gradually build up the intensity (speed/duration/ distance) over time. The last thing you'd want to do is to injure yourself and then have to take a significant amount of time off from running to recover.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    It's better to alternate days, and slow down. You'll be further ahead if you don't injure yourself.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I would power walk with some weights until you get your knee checked out. You dont want to risk permanently damaging your knee.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I've been running everyday for the past week and a half, so I'm thinking the knee pain is from a combination of the hard concrete/track, the extra weight of my body, and the sudden increase in activity. Should I take a day off, or should I power through? I'm addicted at this point, so I'm hoping you guys will tell me it's okay to run!

Have you tried running IN water? No, not THROUGH water, IN water. As in a pool. You still have the same resistance, but running in water wouldn't be near as hard on your knee.
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Get your knee checked if you don't know why it's hurting. Also, running on pavement is harder on your knees......try to run on packed dirt if you can. I have water in both my knees but I still run every day on a trail. However, if I have a day where they are hurting badly, I put ice on them, keep them up and either take a rest day or just walk.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I know running is addictive, but I know plenty of people training for full and half marathons that aren't running 7 days a week.
    Rest days are key and help prevent injuries. Working out through pain is never okay. Soreness is different, but pain is pain and pain literally is your bodies way of saying STOP.

Especially if you're ramping up into running and weren't a runner before (which is what it sounds like) you're likely doing way too much, way to soon. Over the course of 6 weeks I ramped myself up from doing two 10-12 minute runs a week to doing three 25-30 min runs, and there are plenty of people who will tell you that is actually a fast ramp up.

Take it easy, listen to your body, and take a few days off until the pain subsides.
  • StephenGammack
    Options
    If you have knee pain your body is telling you something isn't right. Walking would be a good alternative, you can get most of the benefits of running but at a gentler pace, you can always incorporate some hills to make it more challenging.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Have you tried running IN water? No, not THROUGH water, IN water. As in a pool. You still have the same resistance, but running in water wouldn't be near as hard on your knee.
    My physiotherapist told me this when I was dealing with a running injury. She cited studies that show that you get the exact same workout but without the impact. Might be a good option every couple of days instead of running on pavement every day. But first, get your knee checked by a doctor.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Attempting to run through knee pain would be frankly idiotic.
    Rest it until the pain and soreness has gone, if it recurs when you return to running then get it checked out.

You need to build up slowly or you could do yourself long-term harm. Why not mix in some non-impact exercise as well?
    Cycling or swimming for example.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    NO, I know that the culture I'm from (military) has a suck it up attitude and honestly I saw it lead to so many debilitating injuries.People lost mobility and careers because of suck it up. If you are having pain take it back a bit, if it continues seek medical assistance.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    :noway: Absolutely no, no, no.

You'll do more harm in the long run; hinder your running progress and maybe (worst case scenario) cause some long term damage.

Take this time to find some cross training activities you love doing. Go and explore! Plus the cross training will do wonders for your running too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've been running everyday for the past week and a half

I'd asusme from your phrasing that you're new to running, although it might be helpful to clarify what type and volume of other training you do.
    , so I'm thinking the knee pain is from a combination of the hard concrete/track, the extra weight of my body, and the sudden increase in activity.

Overuse is common, for a new runner I'd suggest only running every other day, and progressively increasing your distances, at no more than 10% distance or speed per week.
    Should I take a day off, or should I power through? I'm addicted at this point, so I'm hoping you guys will tell me it's okay to run!

In terms of what to do next, my first recommendation would be to rest it, possibly icing as well, until the pain reduces. If you find that it recurs then I'd suggest some form of medical advice.

There are a number of potential causes of knee pain, some ofwhich are just overuse, some related to your running style, and some related to your biomechanics. In the absence of any more information about your running it's difficult to be any more specific for now.
  • myriadharbour_
    Options
    thanks guys for all the responses! I'm going to take a couple days off to rest and ice, and hopefully I can work my way back up