Vegetarians, I have a question

Options
I have recently decided to go vegetarian. I have a problem though, for the last 2 days I have been having problems eating enough calories. Today I am under my calorie goal by 584 calories. So I've only eaten 900 something calories. What do you guys eat?!? I've been having veggies, beans, and rice. That's pretty much all i eat, and i eat until i'm full. Any tips or suggestions would be awesome! Thanks. :)

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Cheese, avocado, olive oil, nuts. There are plenty of calorie-dense vegetarian foods.

In a few days or a week, you'll be used to eating vegetarian and have no problem eating more. A few short days aren't going to do any harm.
  • laurenss08
    Options
    Tofu :)
    And I eat a lot more carbs being vegetarian - lots of wholegrain bread and wraps, brown rice, wholemeal pasta, lots of potato and sweet potato.
  • curvy_gamer_loses
    curvy_gamer_loses Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a lot of eggs in a week, and almost always with some kind of bread. Avacado, as mentioned, is a way to add calories to a lot of dishes. I also like pasta and trail mixes.
  • Nimai7
    Nimai7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could try non-fat Greek yogurt and 1/4 cup of assorted nuts (~250 calories). I personally love that as a snack! If its a pre/post-workout snack, you could add in a scoop of your protein powder too. (+120/140 cal).

Another option is making a delicious smoothie. I add my protein powder, banana, almond milk and 1/4 cup yogurt (250ish calories). Sometimes I throw in an apple or 1 tbsp peanut/almond butter too. Makes it about 400-450 cal with them.

Or, granola bar.
  • RiyaGomes
    Options
    Eat cottage cheese,tofu,lentils,fruits.breads,mushroom.dry fruits. Eating rice is okay as such but don't eat too much as it is plain starch with no nutrients.Try throwing in a salad or juice between meals. I feel you should see what nutrients are missing and add food items accordingly. Consume flax seeds for healthy fats.You can add me if you need more information. I am a vegetarian but have never had problem eating enough calories and at times i need to cut calories out..lol!
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Nuts/nut butters are a good source of healthy fats and are fairly high in cals!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat full fat yogurt and cheese.
    Add oil to your foods.
    Baked potatoes!!!
    Walnuts are great because they have omega 3s.
    Dried fruit also is calorie dense.
    Granola has lots of calories -- depending on the surviving size.
  • hiraethed
    hiraethed Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and lord jesus I eat a lot of food. Just get a higher volume in. Smash in the fruit! Carb up! Don't be afraid! Or just try some more calorie dense foods like cashews, peanut butter, dark chocolate, hummus, etc. Simple carbs digest faster so you will eat more of them than starchy carbs (for example apples vs. oatmeal) so include more of that! Sugars from fruit do the body good.