Benefits of saunas?

Options
My gym/pool has a sauna. I've never used it before because I just used to pay for individual pool sessions but now I've got a membership I can use it 'for free'. I've used saunas before at health spas and such but I've never considered if they would be beneficial to weight loss/fitness.

What are your thoughts? Does anyone use them for weight loss? Does it work? Or does all the weight you 'lose' just ping back on when you rehydrate (I'm guessing yes!)? Are they beneficial to fitness/health? When is the best time to use them? Before/after/during a workout? OR, should I just use it as I have in the past - that being to enjoy a nice, invigorating sweat and think no more about it?

Replies

• TLIVIGNSTON
    TLIVIGNSTON Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    just relaxing.. maybe help a little bit with muscle recovery but not much. anything else is hype.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    meh it doesn't help with weight loss. but it's nice for sore muscles.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    jockeys use them for weight loss.
    i just use steam room / jacuzzi for warm downs and advised it does aid muscle recovery.
    plenty of threads on same.....
  • mlh37214
    mlh37214 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Not really an answer to your question (and I don't use a sauna), but here's my 2 cents. I love being warm/hot after my workout. I feel like once I'm in relaxation mode, but keeping my muscles warmed up, they recover better and I'm not as sore in the following days. I would think that using it after would help with recovery, or using it before would help with warming the muscles up. I would guess, as you do, that any weight loss would be water loss and come back with rehydration. Personally, b/c of the dehydration factor, I probably wouldn't do it before a workout, especially if you are doing a lot of cardio and going to sweat a lot more. Maybe before yoga or stretching??

I think if you enjoy it, do it!! Don't expect there to be a bonus, and if there is, surprise!
  • PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like the steam room at my gym - to me it's kind of a luxurious treat, a reward for all the good work I do exercising. I tend to use it at the end of the week for a nice relax. So in a way it does help with my weight loss because it's part of what makes going to the gym fun and not a chore.
  • Katleskin
    Katleskin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Yep, that's what I figured.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I like the steam room at my gym - to me it's kind of a luxurious treat, a reward for all the good work I do exercising. I tend to use it at the end of the week for a nice relax. So in a way it does help with my weight loss because it's part of what makes going to the gym fun and not a chore.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Also I like to wash my hair and then go in the sauna/steam with a conditioning hair treatment so I feel truly pampered! It keeps my hair in good condition, and is especially good if I've been swimming!