Can't stay in Ketosis - experienced Atkins advisers

Options
Hi all!

Replies from people please who actually want to give advice and not those who are Attkins/low-carb pooh poohers! I've been doing low carb for a few years, its a way of life, I'm 100% healthy according to tests and the doctors, but have recently switched to Atkins to try and shift the last 10lbs and also to stop eating fat free stuff like I was on Dukan as think this in itself is unnatural. Suits me and my medical conditions.... so please read on...

I have been on Atkins for about 3 weeks and purchased a blood monitoring kit to make sure I got into
ketosis, All was going well and first reading was 1.1 after about 1.5 weeks and I was was very happy with this as I'd been eating lots of peanut
butter, cashews and nuts before I realised you shouldn't during Induction Phase 1.

Anyway, despite probably eating too many calories some days (1600-2000) Im still staying within the net
gram carbs of 20g - BUT although blood sugar is lower (3.7 - 4.1) - my ketone reading has dropped to 0.3 morning and evening! Although I've
pretty much cut out the nuts etc except a few (instead of a whole bag!) - only thing I've introduced are the All Phase
Atkins bars (have had 2.5 in the past 3 days).

1) So, those experienced using the ketone monitoring systems - have you found some weeks it seems like you're not in ketosis, then you are, but overall its made no difference as long as you stuck to the diet? (I've not weighed myself as I don't want to get obsessed with the scales! - clothes are getting looser though)

2) I keep reading how some people have been on Atkins for a while, doing well, as soon as they've had an Atkins bar it's
kicked them out of ketosis.....has anyone here found this? I find it hard to believe but maybe there are more carbs and natural sugars in them that we should be consuming and the products are a bit of a con?

3) I feel I'm getting slimmer despite eating too many calories and copious amounts of protein (which I heard can stall the weightloss) - do any of you experienced Low-carbers find that as long as you stick to your daily carb limit, you can eat as much protein, fat and calories as you want?

Sorry for this long post but I am baffled! Yesterday I had

3 slices unsmoked bacon
Coffee with 15mls cream

1 boiled egg
Atkins caramel bar

Beef mince 100g
chicken breast 100g
Eat Water Slim rise (carb free) 100g

Pork crunch - carb free (they are like a very light version of pork scratchings, 3g sat fat per bag, 160 cals)

173g sirloin steak with fat
30g (10z) soft goats cheese
Smidgen of yellow mustard

Drinks - Pepi max x 3 (0.9g carbs) - sugar free squash (1g carbs) - 100mls unsweetened soya for coffee

1 piece sugar fre chewing gum -(1g carb at most)

5ft 3" - weight 124lbs (8st 13lbs - some days 8st 11)

Where am I going wrong?! I know I need to incorporate more veg but I don't think that is a lot of protein really, and carbs are carbs?

Thanks all!

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Drop the Atkins bars -- or any low carb products that advertise net carbs for that matter if your goal is ketosis. You can use net carbs for whole foods like fruits and vegetables but the processed low carb products are notorious for making false carb claims.
  • twinkleboobee
    twinkleboobee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Drop the Atkins bars -- or any low carb products that advertise net carbs for that matter if your goal is ketosis. You can use net carbs for whole foods like fruits and vegetables but the processed low carb products are notorious for making false carb claims.

Hi - thanks so much, I thought that may have been the case! It's just really nice to have some chocolate now and again but it's not worth it if kicking me out of ketosis! Surprised the companies get away with false claims....especially Atkins themselves! My Dad is diabetic and relies on genuine nutrition being on the product - I guess this is why so many low-carb diets say eat natural so you know exactly what you are eating. Think I'll go back to the peanuts for a treat!

Thanks again :)
  • IvyLuci
    IvyLuci Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's just really nice to have some chocolate now and again...

I just wanted to say that you can still have chocolate...a cube is 3-4 g of carbs if you choose a chocolate with high % of cocoa. Let it dissolve slowly in your mouth, though, that way you get a more lasting effect. And I find I don't need more than a cube or 2 a day, and I can fit it in my macros (I'm at40g carbs though)
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Watch out for sugar alcohols too. Those will affect Ketosis

I find if I'm eating too FEW calories I drop out too. Try upping you calories and see what happens.

Also, check at different times of the day. First thing in the morning I am not in ketosis, but by the time I get out of work I am.
  • Vexxe
    Vexxe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A lot of people struggle to get into deep ketosis because they dont eat enough fat. Just having a glance at what you eat, altough good in most cases, there isnt enoguh fat. Atleast 70% of your macronutrients should be coming from fat. You are correct in saying protein can throw you off and into a wobbly one. You want to eat enough protein that body has sufficient amounts to maintain muscle mass or you will fade away. My generaly rule of thumb is work out how much protein you need, hit that macro then eat fat to satiety. You wont need to count calories.

The low carb stuff is ok every now and again. I drink a can of diet soda every other day. Cut back on those as much as possible and replace those carbs with fibre from green veg.

It will take time for your ketone levels to increase as your body adapts to ketone production. I get a sweet taste in my mouth which is when I know im in ketosis. It usually occurs about an hour after i eat and continues through most of the day. I have been in solid ketosis for a solid 10 eeeks and I lost most of my weight during week 3-7. Still creeping down but havent got much left on me.

Id move away from Atkins and look at the more recent nutritional ketosis science. Atkins had the right idea but its for from the most efficient. What most people do today is a modifed atkins diet.

Check out r/keto, r/ketoscience for a community of people that know a lot about this kind of stuff. I expect youll bump into people that have been doing this far far longer than I have and have significantly more knowledge than I.
  • twinkleboobee
    Options
    It's just really nice to have some chocolate now and again...

I just wanted to say that you can still have chocolate...a cube is 3-4 g of carbs if you choose a chocolate with high % of cocoa. Let it dissolve slowly in your mouth, though, that way you get a more lasting effect. And I find I don't need more than a cube or 2 a day, and I can fit it in my macros (I'm at40g carbs though)

Cheers for the advice, you are right and if I'm eating sugary carbs with the Atkins bars I might as well have less of the real thing,
    enjoy it more and save a lot of money! My friend said when he did the original Atkins about 10 yrs ago, every other day he'd have a few chunks of proper milk chocolate and it never affected the Ketosis or weight-loss....Cardbury's here I come!
  • twinkleboobee
    Options
    A lot of people struggle to get into deep ketosis because they dont eat enough fat. Just having a glance at what you eat, altough good in most cases, there isnt enoguh fat. Atleast 70% of your macronutrients should be coming from fat. You are correct in saying protein can throw you off and into a wobbly one. You want to eat enough protein that body has sufficient amounts to maintain muscle mass or you will fade away. My generaly rule of thumb is work out how much protein you need, hit that macro then eat fat to satiety. You wont need to count calories.

The low carb stuff is ok every now and again. I drink a can of diet soda every other day. Cut back on those as much as possible and replace those carbs with fibre from green veg.

It will take time for your ketone levels to increase as your body adapts to ketone production. I get a sweet taste in my mouth which is when I know im in ketosis. It usually occurs about an hour after i eat and continues through most of the day. I have been in solid ketosis for a solid 10 eeeks and I lost most of my weight during week 3-7. Still creeping down but havent got much left on me.

Id move away from Atkins and look at the more recent nutritional ketosis science. Atkins had the right idea but its for from the most efficient. What most people do today is a modifed atkins diet.

Check out r/keto, r/ketoscience for a community of people that know a lot about this kind of stuff. I expect youll bump into people that have been doing this far far longer than I have and have significantly more knowledge than I.

Hi, thanks for your detailed response as well, much appreciated!

I've read all about the 70% fat...but how do I eat lots of fat? I know bacons a good one but then I'm eating too much protein. Mayo is another but just a tablespoon is 100 cal so I'd need lots to fill me up, carbs add up - any suggestions?

I would try and ditch the diet soda but with only 0.3g carbs per can I don't see the point as a few of the carbs may as well come from foods/drinks you love to keep you going, Cherry Pepsi Max is something I look very forward to in the day at work when bored and tired at my desk! Do you think the carbs affect the diet? I'm trying to drink squash at home that has trace carbs so I don't waste too many on drink

I've read that the amount of protein you need max is your weight in lbs x 1? So I need no more than 125g a day? I get stuck on what to eat, if i'm cutting down on protein I can't sit at work eating chicken and steak all day...I don't get full like others...a little baffled!

Well done on your weightloss!! Good luck with the rest of the lbs, sounds like you've done brilliantly!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Egg, cheese and 20% fat beef mince have the sort of fat content you're looking for. Chicken breast is protein only, so not the best choice for a LCHF diet. 10% fat greek yoghurt is another good one.
  • agrasso88
    agrasso88 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are eating too much protein. Egg, bacon, 200 grams of meat at lunch and a steak for dinner is a lot of protein. Try a salad or steamed greens lathered with butter or olive oil for lunch with a smaller protein source like a can of tuna. A steak for dinner is fine but too much protein will be converted to glucose and affect ketosis.
  • twinkleboobee
    Options
    Egg, cheese and 20% fat beef mince have the sort of fat content you're looking for. Chicken breast is protein only, so not the best choice for a LCHF diet. 10% fat greek yoghurt is another good one.

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

Have eggs most mornings for breakfast if I don't have bacon - I could eat them all day but then the protein is high and Atkins says only 2-3 a day? I guess if I have chicken breat, I can have less than usual, fry it in oil and add the veg with butter. I think greet yoghurt
    coms in phase 2 but also I guess its about finding your limits and what your body can tolerate! :)
  • twinkleboobee
    Options
    It looks like you are eating too much protein. Egg, bacon, 200 grams of meat at lunch and a steak for dinner is a lot of protein. Try a salad or steamed greens lathered with butter or olive oil for lunch with a smaller protein source like a can of tuna. A steak for dinner is fine but too much protein will be converted to glucose and affect ketosis.

Hi, I've been trying to cut down on protein and like today had to guess what I had for lunch as I forgot to weight it! But this time added
    green beans, bok choy, mayo and cheese. I still thought bacon was protein and cheese/tuna...so couldn't work out how to fill up as
    you're also restricted to 2 cups (tea cups...mug size?!) a day on veg, or 4-5 for salad, which can easily be eaten at lunch time. I guess like I've done today, just eat more veg with butter etc and smaller portions of meat/fish...and not worry so much about veg limit? I need to work out how much protein I can have each day, then work around that...its just odd when I ate nuts and peanut butter I was in ketosis yet they are banned during induction and i was eating lots! :D Thanks for your reply.