CPAP titration sleep study

Options
Tomorrow, I am going in for my CPAP titration sleep study. The staff member will fit me for a few different masks and attach wires and sensors to my head, arms, chest, and legs and monitor my sleep and breathing patterns overnight. I have never had a CPAP titration before, but I have done a few sleep studies in the past. I am hoping it will go smoothly. they allow me to bring items such as a pillow and an extra set of clothing for the next day. a shower is available inside the room which is set up basically like a hotel room. The room includes a TV, fan, big comfy chair, and tables where I can set my items. Wish me luck!

Replies

• bluwingsskies
    bluwingsskies Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This actually went quite well! I slept like a baby, and the mask I chose was so comfortable. I can't wait to have my own CPAP at home. I am so glad I did this, and the technician said she got plenty of data for the doctor to look at. I should know my results in 5-7 business days.
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Not to mention the bed was super cozy, and I had my own pillow from home. What a great experience!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm glad it went well for you! I got my CPAP last October and it has been a life changer. My goal is still to get rid of it but it helped set me on a path to be healthier. Sleep is so important. It's amazing how different you will feel after just a few days and then weeks and months :)
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    When I woke up this morning, I felt very at ease. It seems like all the stress I was under during the last two or three days was lifted off my back and shoulders. The home care company is supposed to call or visit within 2 weeks of today. I will find out my results, and I will be all set up. I'm so glad I looked into this back in July!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    it's amazing how our 'norm' feeling is terrible and then when we use the CPAP (for those who need it) we start to feel great (in comparison)! I didn't realize how bad I felt until I started using the machine. I thought after I lost the weight maybe I could stop using it, as many people can. but nope... the level went down from 10 to between 6 & 7 but I still need to use it. I think we need to be at a 3 or less to be able to be removed from the machine. glad you've got it! you'll start feeling wonderful... :flowerforyou:
  • KarenGMT
    Options
    I couldn't tolerate the CPAP, so 2 years ago I went to my sleep doctor asking for the SomnoMed oral appliance. Good grief, what a difference! Before having that device, I was sleeping in a separate bedroom from my husband because I hated that I was disturbing his sleep. We've shared the same bed for 2 years now without a problem.

For people who can't tolerate CPAP, these oral appliances are becoming more widely prescribed by sleep doctors. When I asked for mine, my sleep doctor wasn't 100% on board with it but recognized that I wasn't going to be able to use CPAP. Within a year of that initial visit with him, he was prescribing it almost exclusively--without requiring that patients go through a CPAP trial! He said they are seeing improvements in almost every single sleep apnea patient who tries the oral appliance.

It does take a bit of getting used to, but I was desperate. I now don't even feel it in my mouth at night and have learned to gradually readjust my bite in the mornings. (I chew sugarless gum for 5 or so minutes.) It was a lifesaver for me.
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    I had the option of using the mouth device, but I already have a bite splint, and the technician showed me the CPAP mask she likes, and I tolerated the same one quite well.
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    The only con so far that I have about it is dry mouth or dry nasal passages.
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Now that I am home and without a CPAP, it is more difficult for me when I relax or lay down. My throat does not relax. I may still need the pressure adjusted.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I have a cpap .. but never use it. I did the easier thing .. lost weight. I know that is not always the answer but it is probably a factor.
  • kylegrace1965
    kylegrace1965 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My CPAP machine has a humidifier on it and it helps a lot. It will take some getting used to but it sure is a life changer. I don't use the mask I use the nose pillows which is way more comfortable fo me.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have had a CPAP for over 5 years and it has been literally night and day with helping a more resting sleep. I am not overweight nor have I ever been. My issue is that the pads on the mask seem to wear out quicker than my insurance replaces them.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I I have been using a full face mask for 8 years, I have even learned to sleep on my stomach with it on.

When I first got it I felt so much better, now I don't anymore, I was even changed to a BI-PAP machine. I need to go back for another study.

I wish all the luck !
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    Thanks to all of you!
  • lnicmatt88
    Options
    I get a sleep study done Oct. 7. My husband has one, and I've always poked fun at him and his "Darth Vader" mask. Prior to today, I thought of it as a badge of failure and didn't think I would ever accept one. I always thought "heck, I'll just lose weight!" However, I've got to do something. I'm exhausted all the time. I'll "sleep" nine to 10 hours at night, and when it comes time to wake up, I just can't. I'll keep resetting my alarm over and over again. My husband's told me before that I sound like I'm possessed in my sleep, that I'll make gargling noises. My hope is that it'll give me that boost of energy, seeing as I'll get a full night's sleep. Then, I can get serious about my weight loss.
    In the meantime, it's good to see people's positive feedback on the masks.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,266 Member
    Options
    Losing weight won't always get you off a CPAP. I lost almost 20 pounds and finally went in for a sleep study. I will probably never be off of it, but who cares? I won't sleep without it. I use the pillows too, although I'm wondering if a mask might be better. IMO, a bad night with my CPAP is better than a good night without it. When you stop breathing during the night, you'll do whatever it takes to keep the oxygen going to the brain. My husband (who has never been overweight) has one too. We're quite a pair. Our kids call them our Life Support systems :laugh: Wouldn't give it up for love or money.

~Curly
  • dawnmitchell6766
    dawnmitchell6766 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Got a CPAP machine and couldn't stand it. I felt like Hannibal Lecter. I too am now using an oral device, so much better and happier!:smile:
  • Sweet_Pea4
    Sweet_Pea4 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Good luck with it :)
  • bluwingsskies
    Options
    On Monday, I have a meeting to get my machine and learn how to use it and maintain it. They do a 10-month rental with a monthly fee which is partially covered by my insurance. I am excited to finally be sleeping better every night! It will be great that I am getting the same make and model that I liked during the sleep study.