Why am I sooo hungry all of a sudden?

Options
I've been on this 1500 cal/day diet for almost a year now, and for most of the time, I was okay with that. I mean, sure, there was the odd day when I had a hard time staying within this amount, but overall, I did okay. Now, all of a sudden, for the last 2 weeks or so, I am constantly hungry and I catch myself thinking "I wish I just once could eat until I'm really full". I eat one of my daily five meals, and 1-2 hrs later, I want to eat again because I feel so hungry. Does anybody have an explanation for that? My friend was saying it could be due to the fact that I've gained quite a bit of muscle lately...?

Replies

• Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    are your calories full satisfying. are you getting enough protein? just thoughts.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Have you increased or changed your workout routine recently?
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've been on this 1500 cal/day diet for almost a year now, and for most of the time, I was okay with that. I mean, sure, there was the odd day when I had a hard time staying within this amount, but overall, I did okay. Now, all of a sudden, for the last 2 weeks or so, I am constantly hungry and I catch myself thinking "I wish I just once could eat until I'm really full". I eat one of my daily five meals, and 1-2 hrs later, I want to eat again because I feel so hungry.

Maybe 5-6 small meals isn't working for you. Try having 2-3 larger meals. On the weekends, I like to have a big breakfast, go for a long run/jog/walk/bike ride, have a light lunch, and end the day with a big meal. It was easy because I got that full feeling and I earned a bunch of calories I could eat back while keeping my calorie deficit. Are you eating back at least half of your estimated calorie burn?

If you're female and still menstruating (I can't tell since your profile is private), then that could be another explanation.
    Does anybody have an explanation for that?
    Hunger hormone imbalance probably. Or maybe you're not getting enough protein, fat, and fiber (I can only give you general advice since your diary is private).
    My friend was saying it could be due to the fact that I've gained quite a bit of muscle lately...?
    You can't gain muscle without eating at a calorie surplus and doing some sort of progressive heavy lifting.
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    are your calories full satisfying. are you getting enough protein? just thoughts.

Yes, I do get enough protein, I weigh 131 lbs right now and get approx. 130 g protein/day
  • greenstar25
    Options

Yes, I have changed my workout routine, I do less cardio now and more weight lifting
  • greenstar25
    Options
    I've been on this 1500 cal/day diet for almost a year now, and for most of the time, I was okay with that. I mean, sure, there was the odd day when I had a hard time staying within this amount, but overall, I did okay. Now, all of a sudden, for the last 2 weeks or so, I am constantly hungry and I catch myself thinking "I wish I just once could eat until I'm really full". I eat one of my daily five meals, and 1-2 hrs later, I want to eat again because I feel so hungry.

Maybe 5-6 small meals isn't working for you. Try having 2-3 larger meals. On the weekends, I like to have a big breakfast, go for a long run/jog/walk/bike ride, have a light lunch, and end the day with a big meal. It was easy because I got that full feeling and I earned a bunch of calories I could eat back while keeping my calorie deficit. Are you eating back at least half of your estimated calorie burn?

That sounds really interesting, thanks, I am going to try the 3 bigger meals. I do not eat back any of my exercise calories....I am afraid I will gain some weight if I do that.

If you're female and still menstruating (I can't tell since your profile is private), then that could be another explanation.

Yes, female, and no, no more periods, yay! I am 50.
    Hunger hormone imbalance probably. Or maybe you're not getting enough protein, fat, and fiber (I can only give you general advice since your diary is private).

I opened up my diary to the public now.
    My friend was saying it could be due to the fact that I've gained quite a bit of muscle lately...?
    You can't gain muscle without eating at a calorie surplus and doing some sort of progressive heavy lifting.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

Yes, I have changed my workout routine, I do less cardio now and more weight lifting

It's probably the lifting. If you have room to add calories you might want to try to add a little more. If not, you might need to play around with the timing and nutritional make up of your meals.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options

That sounds really interesting, thanks, I am going to try the 3 bigger meals. I do not eat back any of my exercise calories....I am afraid I will gain some weight if I do that.

Yes, female, and no, no more periods, yay! I am 50.

I opened up my diary to the public now.

Haha! Yay for no more periods! But perhaps menopause is making your hormones go a little crazy. If this is the case, maybe you can talk to your doctor about your increased appetite?

Are you getting enough water? Thirst can be confused for hunger so pay attention to your hydration. Light yellow to almost clear urine is the goal.

Hopefully, this can be solved without medication. If i were you, I would just try the three larger meals and see what happens. Trial and error is a great tool! Good Luck! :drinker:
  • greenstar25
    Options
    Thanks, FoxyLifter, for your input. Now that you mentioned it, it could be the water intake. Although I am usually very good with my water, now that you mentioned it, I'm thinking that I haven't been drinking my usual amount over the last little while...