5ft 6 ladies, TDEE method, less than a stone to lose

Options
Hi guys! I'm doing the TDEE method and was wondering how many calories you guys are consuming? I'm 5ft 6, active, female and have less than a stone to lose. Thanks :)

Replies

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't do the TDEE method, I may do in the future. I know it's not what you asked for, but I thought I'd share this calculator though, http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I'm doing the TDEE method and was wondering how many calories you guys are consuming? I'm 5ft 6, active, female and have less than a stone to lose. Thanks :)

net 1700 to lose 0.5lb per week. i like earning workout cals so i use MFP not TDEE
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I "kinda" do TDEE method, as I do know my average TDEE (I use a Fitbit), but I use the MFP method (like PP, I like to "earn" exercise calories and eat them). Overall, my average TDEE is ~2050-2100 a day, and I eat an average of 1700 calories/day (sometimes more, as I get closer to my goal). I've lost almost a stone and half (20 lbs now) over 5 months (rate of 0.8lbs a week or something).

With only a stone or less to lose, you certainly could take a smaller cut, say TDEE -10% (or less 250 calories). If your TDEE is close to mine (or higher--might be, you're younger and probably more active), you may be pleasantly surprised at "how much" you can eat to lose.
  • landgirl321
    Options
    Hi there

I might sound a bit ignorant, but what is TDEE?
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a modified TDEE method. I have mine calculated withOUT exercise, and then I use a HRM to determine my calorie burn when I exercise and eat them back. I tried doing the regular TDEE method and found I was always going over my calories. It's a psychological thing for me: if I see that I have calories available, I will eat them whether i work out or not.

I've lose 2.5st (35 pounds) and have about 12 lbs to go.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Hi there

"Total Daily Energy Expenditure". Basically, it's a method where one determines their average daily "burn" (from all sources, from just being alive to daily job activities to workouts) and eats a certain percentage or calorie amount less than that everyday.

The two calculators I like are http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/#results and http://exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html. I personally (YMMV) don't like IIFYM.com calculator, as IME, it calculates too low for some of us (me included). Or, an activity tracker like Fitbit does this for you, based on your own daily movements. It's a good number to at least be aware of, IMHO.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a modified TDEE method. I have mine calculated withOUT exercise, and then I use a HRM to determine my calorie burn when I exercise and eat them back. I tried doing the regular TDEE method and found I was always going over my calories. It's a psychological thing for me: if I see that I have calories available, I will eat them whether i work out or not.

That is actually the NEAT method then, which is what MFP gives you. Though they may use a different BMR calculator and multiplier than you did, but the theory is the same.

TDEE is meant for you to eat all the cals everyday whether you workout or not! It essentially averages your workouts for the week (say if you workout 4 times, then divides that by 7 and applies to everyday)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi there

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Basically it is the number of total calories you require to maintain your weight but it includes exercise calories.

TDEE method you eat the same number of calories everyday, do not record calories earned from exercise (as they are already included) and typically take off between 5-20% to lose weight.

To the OP I use TDEE method and I am currently eating 2k a day which is my TDEE-10% to lose another couple of pounds.

Keep in mind TDEE is an ever changing number depending on a lot of factors and you need to check is about every 10lbs.

For me last year my TDEE was 1995...after weight lifting for 6months and losing about 15-20lbs it went to 2137 then over the summer I did TDEE-3-5% on average continued lifting but added in a bit of cardio and now it is 2267 and I am down another 10lbs.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Depends on what your TDEE is. Mine is 2200 and I eat 1800-2400 on a given day at 124 lbs (I'm maintaining)
  • annietud
    annietud Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi, my tdee with iifym is approx 1740. I'm 47 - 170lb and set at no exercise.
    Mfp has set at 1540c per day. I add on my exercise, reducing by 20% what mfp calculates them at, to allow for overs.
    I've lost 3lb in 2 weeks and ideally would like about 10lb total.
  • Hopefullysane
    Hopefullysane Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    45 years old. 140 lb. TDEE is approx 2100 cals (depending on which calculator I use) and I am eating roughly 1800 per day to lose another 5lb.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    5'6, 33 years old, I ate around 1800 while I was losing.
  • landgirl321
    Options
    Hi thanks for that. I'm pretty new to this and whilst it may not sound a lot, I need to lose around 17lb. I'm only just over 5' and weighing in at 10st I look and feel like a blob. Up until my early 40s I used to weigh 8st 7lb and over the last few years it has just crept up on me and if I don't do something now I'll just get bigger and bigger, so I am determined. Seeing everyone's positive stories on here is so inspiring. :-)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5", 133-134 and 39 years old. Just trying to lose a few more, and looking more to toning. I'm not worried about the scale #, if it doesn't go down I'm fine where I am. But know there is improvement to be made around my middle section, thighs, etc.

I eat 1600-1800 per day. Works well.
  • dressagediva51
    dressagediva51 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. That's really helpful! I was wondering because I'm pretty active every day and my TDEE - 20% works out at 1800 which just seemed like a lot (though I guess that's because I've grown up with diets where 1200 is the max!). I guess I can only try for a few weeks and see what happens...!!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

That is actually the NEAT method then, which is what MFP gives you. Though they may use a different BMR calculator and multiplier than you did, but the theory is the same.

TDEE is meant for you to eat all the cals everyday whether you workout or not! It essentially averages your workouts for the week (say if you workout 4 times, then divides that by 7 and applies to everyday)

See and here I thought I was clever and came up with it myself! lol Thanks for cluing me in!
  • myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use MFP because my exercise is pretty erratic (I'm a teacher and in the summer holidays I was regularly swimming/cycling/walking for over an hour per day but now school has started back I'm lucky if I fit in exercise once or twice a week).

I've got it set to lose 1lb per week, and it tells me to eat 1,530 calories per day. I do go over fairly regularly but obviously I am still in a deficit and losing if I eat 1,700 some days instead.

1 started out at 11 stone 11 (but wearing UK size 10-12s - my fat is well distributed and I have quite muscular arms and legs) and am now 10 stone 12. I'm not sure exactly where I'm aiming for but definitely less than a stone now.
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • FoogooFish
    FoogooFish Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    5'6"
    SW: 174 lbs.
    CW: 164 lbs.
    GW: 130 lbs.

I have my daily calories set to 1511, which is my TDEE (no exercise) minus 20%. I've been consistent for 60+ days, and I exercise five to seven hours per week. I've also lost two inches from my waist in addition to the ten pounds. =)
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Bump . will read later