anxiety and depression issues

Options
13»

Replies

• strassenkoenigin
    Options
    I do not trust medications. Doctors have thrown anti depressants on me waiting if anything would stick. Well, the immediate result was substantial weight gain, which made me, a usual slim person, immediately more depressed. I also found that medication changed my brain chemistry in a way that I became aggressive and suicidal. I hear stories from people who were helped by medication, but few.

I think talk therapy with emphasis on behavioral changes would be ideal, but nobody seems to pay for it and when you are not independently wealthy, you cannot afford it. And then you have to find a therapist, who is good, which may be difficult.

I can see that eating very healthy makes a difference, I also discovered that biking helps me and the difference how I feel when I do not bike, is enormous. In your case I would certainly try everything to lose weight, it will probably open up a whole new world of social activities for your. Start by walking and try to find a walking group in your neighborhood. Or do as I do start biking. Both activities are not very expensive and you can always join a group at your level. Hobbies which involve other people are always helpful to overcome depression.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I've battle with both for most of my life mostly anxiety. I had been on lexipro for 9 years weened off them finally off 100% in June, but now the sad down feelings of depression sneaking up on me. my mind roams and thinks about the past and then thinks of how much it's going to suck as I lose loved ones in the future... While I do walk, I'm wondering what kind of natural ways to fight off these issues ... or should I just go ahead and realize that I might just have to live with taking medication? I've tried to set up meetings with a counselor but the ones my insurance covers give me the run around or not taking "new" clients so kind of at a dead end on that.

not sure about your eating habits, but have you looked into a gluten-free diet? there is some research to suggest that depression, bipolar and other mental issues can be helped by avoiding wheat, gluten. (not CURE, but HELP) I have BPD and I have found this type of diet plan helpful in addition to my medication. good luck. hope you are feeling better today. :flowerforyou:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    I do not trust medications. Doctors have thrown anti depressants on me waiting if anything would stick. Well, the immediate result was substantial weight gain, which made me, a usual slim person, immediately more depressed. I also found that medication changed my brain chemistry in a way that I became aggressive and suicidal. I hear stories from people who were helped by medication, but few.

I think talk therapy with emphasis on behavioral changes would be ideal, but nobody seems to pay for it and when you are not independently wealthy, you cannot afford it. And then you have to find a therapist, who is good, which may be difficult.

I can see that eating very healthy makes a difference, I also discovered that biking helps me and the difference how I feel when I do not bike, is enormous. In your case I would certainly try everything to lose weight, it will probably open up a whole new world of social activities for your. Start by walking and try to find a walking group in your neighborhood. Or do as I do start biking. Both activities are not very expensive and you can always join a group at your level. Hobbies which involve other people are always helpful to overcome depression.

I can see why some people do not like or trust meds, but they are literally life-savers for some of us. I do not promote that people take them, but if the dr is suggesting them, I will give my two cents on what types or any information with which I have experience. I am sorry meds didn't work for you, but many times, if they do not work, that means you do not need them. depression and other mental disorders are chemical imbalances which required meds to steady the brain. if someone just takes meds when they have no "real" issue, I can see where they wouldn't work.

I don't mean this to be rude, but joining a group or starting a hobby is near impossible if you are depressed. it sounds like an easy thing to do, but true depression isn't fixed by being around other people. some days, we literally cannot get out of bed.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    This is definitely something you'd probably want to talk with your doctor and/or therapist (if you have one that is) about.

BUT - from experience I can say that working out has helped me tremendously. Whenever I feel like *kitten* about whatever it may be, the second I lace up my running shoes or hit the weight floor it makes it better. It helps distract your mind from your negative thoughts that can flood your mind.

And most importantly: have faith that you won't always feel like you're in the dark :smile:
  • La5Vega5Girl
    Options
    true depression isn't fixed by being around other people. some days, we literally cannot get out of bed.

Yes, this is real depression. This, in my opinion, is the main difference between situational and clinical.

I can't count how many times I've heard people say something like this: "I've been terribly depressed for years. Over the past five years in the midst of this never ending depression, I earned my master's degree, bought a house, renovated it myself and home schooled my seven French bulldogs in the foyer while practicing my harp exercises for the upcoming symphony performance I'm soloing in. But the depression just never went away."

IRL I keep my mouth shut but always secretly roll my eyes.

Unhappiness, afflluenza and discontent does not equal clinical depression.

very good point. I have heard people say similar things.

my grandmother will usually say, "shake it off!"
    not that easy...
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder about 14 years ago. I was on a medication for a little over a year. In that time I have worked on eating a clean healthy diet. Food does effect mood and I exercise specifically I credit running with saving my life. It has made such an impact on me. There are a number of studies done that study the effects of exercise on mood disorders and their treatment. I read a very good article in runners world magazine a month or so back about the success rate of running in the easing of PTSD in returning combat vets. While I am not saying you have to start running, but I would look at a couple of things in your life, food choices, the people you surround yourself with and the exercise you do now. Medication might be part of that equation, but its not all of it. Behavior modification can be just as effective too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    To everyone here, I highly recommend watching this talk by Greg Baugues -- http://userscape.com/laracon/2014/gregbaugues.html -- he's a phenomenal speaker who talks about depression (in this case, software developers, but the general message applies to pretty much everyone). He also has Bipolar II. And if you ever get the chance to see him speak in person, I highly recommend taking that chance.

Additionally, here's a great article from a friend of mine, about her own depression -- https://medium.com/@kayladnls/youre-not-alone-f210b82893cb .
    I can't count how many times I've heard people say something like this: "I've been terribly depressed for years. Over the past five years in the midst of this never ending depression, I earned my master's degree, bought a house, renovated it myself and home schooled my seven French bulldogs in the foyer while practicing my harp exercises for the upcoming symphony performance I'm soloing in. But the depression just never went away."

People cope with their mental health issues in different ways. That can including doing productive thing after productive thing, trying to find that thing that will bring you out of that black hole. It can also include looking like you're more successful/happy/fulfilled than you really feel (that whole "fake it til you make it" mantra).

Yes, I have a master's degree, a house, and a family. That doesn't change the fact that there are days that the only reason I get out of bed is my sense of duty to get my son to preschool and to do the job I was hired to do. That doesn't change the fact that I have, on several occasions, curled up in a ball and cried for no discernible reason (or for every reason and no reason at the same time). That doesn't change the fact that I've contemplated suicide more times than I care to admit. It doesn't change the fact that it takes every ounce of willpower I have to maintain my composure in a meeting with the principle about my son's behavior, or a meeting with my boss about my performance.

My husband worked his way up the ranks in his company from help desk phone monkey to enterprise systems administrator. That doesn't change the fact that his anxiety was a constant, low-level background noise in both of our lives, which brought down the quality of life for both of us. It doesn't change the fact that it will still sometimes spike to the point that he has an all-out panic attack.

He had a coworker that was in the position that he's in now. It's a pretty cushy job. Pays well. Minimal travel. He had a sort-of girlfriend, a decent place to live. That didn't change the fact that his paranoid schizophrenia eventually got the better of him and he ate the barrel of a shotgun.

Robin Williams' success didn't change the fact that he was still clinically depressed and eventually killed himself. The same goes for the dozens upon dozens of people who are/were famous and had great accomplishments, but suffer/ed from major depression -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_major_depressive_disorder -- including such people as Buzz Aldrin, Jim Carrey, and Drew Carey, among others.

Then, there's John Nash, who revolutionized mathematics, game theory, and economics. He even won a Nobel Prize, among others. That doesn't change the fact that he's a paranoid schizophrenic and was admitted to psychiatric hospitals multiple times during his life.

So please, don't disregard others' struggles with mental health, just because they took a different path than you, or didn't immediately self-destruct.

OP - I also suffer from anxiety and depression, and my husband suffers from anxiety as well. Here are a few things that I found that make it more manageable.

Myo-Inositol supplementation - Myo-Inositol is a pseudo-vitamin (ie - it's a nutrient that our bodies make). Studies have shown its promise in dealing with anxiety, in particular. My husband and I have been taking about 12g a day for about two months now, and have both noticed positive effects with it. His change was pretty much night and day.

Sunlight - Vitamin D, of course. Make sure you're exposing as much skin as you can for at least 15 minutes a day, whenever possible.

Whole foods diet - Nutrient deficiencies seem to be a big factor. Things tend to be more stable in general when eating a whole foods based diet and avoiding refined carbs and sugars. Even in the short run, pretty much without fail, if I have more than a tiny amount of refined carbs/sugar, I get a lot more moody and down.
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    St John's Wort is known for aiding in depression. As others have said, exercise activates your endorphins releasing serotonin into your brain. (Serotonin = feel good)

Aside from the above, look around you. What are the colors your have surrounded yourself with? (Google Feng Shui) Are they dark and depressing? How about lighting in your home? The darkness will bring depression on. Read. You don't have to read self-help books, reading a novel (a cheerful one preferably) will "take" you to that world for a time. It provides a nice escape from your own thoughts.

Insurance sucks where counseling is needed. The company can limit the number of visits and you haven't reached your goal yet. Mental/emotional issues need to be better addressed (at least in the US) than they are.

Keep talking. Those of us who have BTDT will always try to be there for you and to be supportive!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I've dealt with these issues, too. I'm sorry they are creeping back up for you. I know how hard it is :frown:

For me, exercise does help those feelings of despair, but only to a point. I have tried to stop the medication and it just didn't work for me. I currently take Pristiq and Wellbutrin and it has made a world of difference.

Adding the exercise (per the direction of my psychiatrist) has helped keep me feeling "up" and I notice that as I go, I have less and less down days.

I'm sorry your insurance gives you the run around. I work in insurance billing and I understand.

I hope you are able to find something that works for you. Feel free to add me as a friend, I'm a good listener :smile: Sam
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    See your regular medical doctor for blood work to check for everything -- including hormones, vit D, B12, . . calcium, inflammation markers, magnesium, folate,
    Some people can manage without medications if they keep a very regular regime of
    exercise, meditation or focused yoga-type breathing, sleeping and eating the same time every day, sunlight (helps with sleep), . . .
    Youtube has some breathing videos.

Vitamin D supplements quite literally saved my life after a suicidal episode a few years ago. I felt AMAZING for the first time I could remember.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Start reading up on both, there is excellent support forums and informational articles if you just use google!

I am a very firm believer that the causes of anxiety/depression need to be addressed as much as possible before medications. I was miserable in my job and my boss actually suggested I take meds. It made me laugh...then I gave notice a few days later. I knew deep down that meds would just cover up the problems, when I knew the answer was to leave.

There is a wonderful anxiety book, the "Anxiety and Worry Workbook" that I used. It gave amazing insight into my anxiety, as well as techniques to really assess situations REALISTICALLY prior to getting worked up and anxious over stuff. This along with journalling and tracking anxiety levels on a daily basis really improved my thoughts within 30 days. I went from having panic attacks (actually attacks, not over exaggerating) every second day...now, I dont even remember my last one.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So please, don't disregard others' struggles with mental health, just because they took a different path than you, or didn't immediately self-destruct.

Huh? You might want to read my earlier posts in this thread to clarify the context from which I speak. I've discussed depression(s) from my personal perspective as a 47 year old licensed healthcare professional who has years of experience working with the full spectrum of psychiatric diagnoses. Including misdiagnosis. And although my opinions on depression are as refutable as anything else on a public discussion forum, neither my "path" nor my personal history has been revealed as game for this thread.

I never claimed to know your personal history, but judging by your snub-nosing of people who have seen what others would consider "success" in life, despite depression, as "not real depression," because they can actually get out of bed enough mornings to do something that society deems productive in some way, it's pretty clear such a situation isn't in your history, regardless of whether you, yourself, have depression (either that, or it is and you now don't believe you had depression to begin with, which is a valid possibility).

Are some people misdiagnosed? Of course (after all, how many years does it take to get an accurate Bipolar diagnosis?). But you don't have the insight into any given individual to determine whether they were or not unless they were a patient of yours. Your comment about rolling your eyes at someone who outwardly appears successful was extremely rude and offensive. Even "real medical doctors with real medical degrees" can get things wrong, and that includes you.
  • IconStillFree
    IconStillFree Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Dude I deal with OCD so I know how you feel. No matter what you're going through, just be optimistic!
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have taken Wellbutrin for years (okay, decades). The times I have tried to go off it, I found very quickly that I became extra critical of myself and started to spiral back into depression. I now know that I HAVE to stay on that medication if I am going to have any decent quality of life. I'm cool with it, because depression really, really sucks-- a lot more than just having to take a few pills a day. At least for me it hasn't caused any weight gain, so that helps.

Not the same medication but the needing medication- yes. I unfortunately did gain weight though.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    true depression isn't fixed by being around other people. some days, we literally cannot get out of bed.

Yes, this is real depression. This, in my opinion, is the main difference between situational and clinical.

Unhappiness, afflluenza and discontent does not equal clinical depression.

Things like that make me so angry. I have suffered from clinical depression for the past ten years. In that time I have achieved 2 degress and landed a decent full time job. That doesnt change the fact that I cannot always control my throughts. Nothing started teh depression nothing causes the depression except clearly a deficit in something in my brain.
    As someone who has tried absolutely everything to help "cure" or alieviate my depression I can honestly say when you get to the point and admit that this is something you need to live with at somepoint you find ways to get on with life. I take two medications and will be on them for the rest of my life (I am 24) and I am ok with that.
    What I am not ok with is someone thinking that because I have taught myself to live with depression that means I am not depressed or I am just too dramatic, or I am not trying hard enough or I want damn attention.
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, just chiming in that you aren't alone. :flowerforyou:

I have a mood disorder that includes anxiety and depression. I've just started taking medication for it. Here's to a hopefully brighter future.
  • strassenkoenigin
    Options
    Interestingly enough on these threads discussing depression there seems to always be a contest, who is the most depressed . And those , who are perceived as not so depressed, are dismissed. There are enough people around who do not understand depression , those who have it , should not be part of them.
    There are people who have lived with depression for a long time and have learned to deal with it with other means as medications.

Isolation certainly contributes to depression and so does being overweight . Not everybody responds well to medication , even if you do. Not all people are the same. Be a little bit more compassionate and understand that your point of view is not the only right one.

We are trying to help each other by sharing information and maybe helpful tips.