Confused about Protein Powder for weight loss

Options
I'd like to start making more smoothies for meals but want to know about adding protein to the smoothie. I was thinking of going with greek yogurt but not sure if that will be enough protein to cover a meal. Is it worth adding protein powder to smoothies if I'm not weight training? The last thing I want is to create a situation where I'm gaining weight instead of losing it.

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I would recommend eating real foods and then adding a smoothie as an addition (snack), that way you don't have to necessarily worry about protein in the smoothie. I do a Nutribullet shake every day and use greens and other veggies along with a few almonds or coconut milk, berries, a dash of cinnamon and sometimes sliced apple. It's delicious and nutritious and keeps me going/satisfied until dinner :)

Also I used to add plain greek yogurt for protein to my drinks as well. But now I'm 100% paleo and don't do any dairy. Although you can still do Skye yogurt while paleo but that's up to the individual.

For the record, a 6 oz container of Skye has around 20g of protein and only around 5g of sugar... 110 calories and thick as cement with live and active cultures that aren't included in regular brands of greek yogurt. It's also organic, non gmo, from grass fed cows, etc. You can find it at Whole Foods... it's expensive but totally worth it.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is all about calorie deficits so if your still within a deficit you'll lose weight. Protein powder is just a supplement. If you're getting sufficient protein via your normal diet there is no real need. Some people use it for the convenience of getting protein in easily post exercise or just because they struggle with protein in their normal diet. Protein powders do not miraculously make people build muscle or lose weight and the calories need to be accounted for as with any other food
  • Alastair007
    Alastair007 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Total all the calories that you add to your smoothy. Stay under your daily calorie limit. Add protein , whey, or Greek yogurt. Try and balance your protein, carbs, fats, sugars etc according to your goals each day. Whey is a good source of protein without too much fat. You will only put on weight if your net calorie count exceeds your daily limit.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start making more smoothies for meals but want to know about adding protein to the smoothie. I was thinking of going with greek yogurt but not sure if that will be enough protein to cover a meal. Is it worth adding protein powder to smoothies if I'm not weight training? The last thing I want is to create a situation where I'm gaining weight instead of losing it.

Have a meal instead of making a smoothie, smoothies are like a snack ... not meant to replace your breakfast, lunch or dinner.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Is it worth adding protein powder to smoothies if I'm not weight training? The last thing I want is to create a situation where I'm gaining weight instead of losing it.
    Protein is important only when you are trying to build muscle mass and strength. In which case you will need more that average person. But if it's not the case then you will get all the protein you need for basic health from normal foods.

Protein is very low in calories so adding it will very unlikely make you gain weight. But it will just be used as energy for calories just like any other food, cos you will not use it to build muscle. Waste of money and time for you.

Protein is irrelevant for weight loss. It's not a magic pill. It's just food in form of powder. They make it from milk, eggs, beans, rice, etc. Good if you are in hurry and don't have time to ate a normal meal or need a lot of protein and eating normal foods makes you feel too full. But if that's not the case might as well enjoy your food instead of taking bland powder.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    your body needs enough protein, so the point of using protein powder or greek yogurt would be to help you meet your daily protein goal. if you log all your food, you can figure out whether you get enough and go from there.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes only as a supplement to my daily foods. There are times in the evenings where I will make a smoothie with Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk, a scoop of protein powder, and Walden farms calorie free Chocolate syrup, this make a delicious snack, and I am getting additional protein, I do this when I can't sit and eat 4 oz of chicken or beef at 8 pm at night.

The protein I buy is low in calories, low in fat, sugar, sodium and carbs. It is Dymatized Nutrition Elite 100% Whey Protein, 120 cal, 1.5 fat, 2 g of carbs, 25g of protein.

But it is all a personal choice, adding whole food protein, won't necessarily make you gain weight, as long at it is within your intake for the day, but it will make you fuller and for longer. And you won't gain muscle, unless you are working out like a body builder, and women just don't have the ability to gain the mass like men do unless they are taking steroids,

Best of luck finding something that fits and you enjoy.
  • parasshelawala
    parasshelawala Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder in shakes once in a while for a quick breakfast to keep me full until lunch time without consuming a lot of calories.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Is it worth adding protein powder to smoothies if I'm not weight training? The last thing I want is to create a situation where I'm gaining weight instead of losing it.
    Protein is important only when you are trying to build muscle mass and strength. In which case you will need more that average person. But if it's not the case then you will get all the protein you need for basic health from normal foods.

Protein is very low in calories so adding it will very unlikely make you gain weight. But it will just be used as energy for calories just like any other food, cos you will not use it to build muscle. Waste of money and time for you.

Protein is irrelevant for weight loss. It's not a magic pill. It's just food in form of powder. They make it from milk, eggs, beans, rice, etc. Good if you are in hurry and don't have time to ate a normal meal or need a lot of protein and eating normal foods makes you feel too full. But if that's not the case might as well enjoy your food instead of taking bland powder.
    Stop, JUST STOP.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

:grumble: :grumble:

As others have said, ignore this poster. They do not know what they are talking about.

Protein is very important for satiety and for retaining lean muscle mass. Now, you don't need protein powder to get there but there are some days it is nice to have it as a supplement when you may be running low on protein.
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are a big part of my intake. I'll kill a whey/almond milk after lifting, and on days not lifting and just doing cardio I'll do a Casein/almond milk. I use it to replace a meal, typically breakfast, so it fits in with my deficit.

Edit - I think this has helped keep my lean mass stay up while fat is going away. My Withings scale shows the last 30 pounds lost as 26 pounds of fat, and 4 pounds of lean mass, which I am okay with.
  • ainarsraciks
    Options
    I'm sorry but you couldn't have been more wrong.

Protein is not only important when building muscle. Protein is vital for overall health.
    I never said it isn't. It is, and like I said above, she could get that all from normal foods. Even without counting it. Even if she would be vegan and not ate super high protein foods such as meat or dairy. For good health you need very little and all that can be met from just a few veggies and grains super easily. Nobody needs to count it for health, assuming they get majority of cals from healthy foods and don't get majority of their calories from table sugar or something.
    Protein is in no way irrelevant for weight loss. Protein is not directly responsible for weight loss but having adequate levels of protein and resistance training while in a caloric deficit will help preserve as much lbm as possible.

When "building muscle" or a bulk you can actually get away with less protein than when you are cutting but protein is always import.
    It is irrelevant for weight loss, I still disagree on that. Having adequate levels of protein and resistance training while in a caloric deficit will help preserve as much lbm as possible, indeed. But like OP said, she does not weight train and I assumed does not care about preserving strength or muscle mass. Neither you have to, people can look great and healthy, and be very healthy, even with very little muscle, assuming that your body weight and everything still stay in healthy range. If you want to preserve as much muscle as possible while dieting it's your choice, go for it, not everybody cares about it tho. Some people just wanna look and be healthy, that's all.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sorry - re read OP - didn't answer the question at all!
  • moonlitrose25
    moonlitrose25 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist said that if you're losing weight and eating less calories, a lot of your calories that your are eating should be from protein. But your body can only absorb about 30 grams of protein at a time. So space out your protein intake. Also the best powder protein is Whey.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I make a smoothie every morning for breakfast. I do add a protein powder bc it helps me get closer to meeting my protein goals. I use 3 cups of spinach (or a spinach/kale blend), 1.5 cups frozen fruit, 5 grams of honey (to sweeten), 30 grams of protein powder (I use half of Nutiva Hemp protein powder & half of Eidopro Whey protein powder - both found at amazon, with very little to no sugar, and flavorless), and I add either 1 cup of Minute Maid's 15 lemonade or 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. I also add other supplements to boost the vitamin content. It's about 320-350 calories (depending on the liquid).

It's a nice, well rounded meal. I get fat, carbs, and protein. And it keeps me full until my mid-morning snack.

That being said, protein powder does not do anything life altering besides help me get closer to my protein macro. I'm still working on reaching it completely, but without the protein powder, I wouldn't be as close as I am now.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in my smoothies occasionally, mainly because it keeps me full longer. I was doing Spinach and berries blended together for a smoothie and that didn't keep me full long enough and I ended up snacking all morning. If I added some protein powder, I didn't need to snack. I don't do this every morning, but sometimes I need quick and on the go. Today was even quicker...protein shake with protein powder, PB2 and almond milk and shake.
  • ainarsraciks
    Options
    This debate isn't even really worth it. Protein is relevant to life therefore it's relevant in weight loss.

Saying people who don't care about preserving lbm or don't mind losing muscle don't need to worry about protein is a weak argument because anyone who doesn't mind losing muscle or doesn't care to preserve muscle already has a misguided idea of what they should do. But hey if that's what you want, knock yourself out. Either way, your entire original post is still wrong.

Lets then just agree to disagree. :)
  • I use protein shakes for my breakfast most days so I can get to classes early - a cup of coconut milk, a scoop of protein powder, and whatever flavorings I feel like, usually some cocoa powder and sweetener. Keeps me full until lunch, and good macros, so I say it's good enough.