been exercising but not losing weight/body fat

Options
Hi, I'm a female,19, currently 63kg (138lbs), 170cm(5'7'') tall.
I've been hitting the gym quite regularly since June, and it's been almost 3 months now, but I don't seem to be losing much body fat. I've had the body fat test on my first day of gym, it was 30.6%. And I had another test last month and yesterday, there were both 29.6% and 29.7%. I feel like my body fat isn't going down as how I want it to be.

I go for spinning classes 2-3 times a week (45 minutes per session)
slow jog (7.5km/h) on the treadmill for 70 minutes a week
attend gym classes (trx , body pump, grit strength).

My eating habbit is pretty much the same, I try cutting down on my food intake, no more supper, reducing oily food.

Also my fats are mostly at my tummy area. My limbs looks pretty toned and fit. Most of the people don't believe that my body fat is 30% when they see me. Does abs workout help in reducing my fat tummy?

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Replies

• jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Also my fats are mostly at my tummy area. My limbs looks pretty toned and fit. Most of the people don't believe that my body fat is 30% when they see me. Does abs workout help in reducing my fat tummy?

You have to change your diet more. You are probably gaining muscle, but the fact that most of your fat is in your belly makes me think you need to cut down on carbs and sugar. You know what they say: weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

And "no more supper!?!?!" That's not a good idea LOL!! Just have a healthy supper- lean protein and a salad or steamed vegetables. Eat smart, not less!

I would recommend the South Beach Diet... I lost 8lbs in a week and most of it was in my belly. It has stayed off too for the most part!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You can's spot reduce but as you lose, it will come off all areas. You just keep doing what you're doing. If you are at a deficit, you will lose, and the exercising while you're doing it is maintaining muscle mass. Remember, there is a LOT of room for error in those fat tests and not many pay too much attention to them.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    My eating habbit is pretty much the same, I try cutting down on my food intake, no more supper, reducing oily food.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

weigh/measure your foods (use a scale)
    Track everything you put in your mouth

You are still eating more than you need.

Your body will burn off the fat where and how it sees fit.....can't do anything about it
  • MityMax96
    Options

You have to change your diet more. You are probably gaining muscle, but the fact that most of your fat is in your belly makes me think you need to cut down on carbs and sugar. You know what they say: weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

I would recommend the South Beach Diet... I lost 8lbs in a week and most of it was in my belly. It has stayed off too for the most part!

You don't have to cut out carbs.
    I do a ton of carbs.....they are wonderful little macros.

And you don't need to do a specialized diet....
    Just keep your calories under what you need daily
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit=weight loss, exercise=fitness. That being said, you're already at a healthy weight. Five pounds to lose could take a long time to take off.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein and do more lifting weights. The classes that you listed are still more cardio based right? Try to get some muscles and eat the protein so you have the necessary building blocks for it. Looks like you are doing a ton of cardio.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think you're at a good weight for your height. I would guess that if you're trying to lose fat, maybe lifting weights would be more beneficial than cardio. Cardio will burn calories and can contribute to weight loss, but I think lifting would help turn fat into muscle. And it makes me sad that you think you have to skip dinner. Be good to yourself.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

And "no more supper!?!?!" That's not a good idea LOL!! Just have a healthy supper- lean protein and a salad or steamed vegetables. Eat smart, not less!

OP isn't gaining muscle. There may have been a very miniscule amount at the very beginning, but OP is doing a 95% strictly cardio workout. Spinning has a touch of resistance to it, but not enough where muscle is going to be gained.

Op doesn't need to cut down carbs and sugar. Telling the OP to do so is a pretty blanketed statement considering their diary is closed.

OP, you have 5lbs to your goal weight. From what I'm readying you should probably cut back some on the cardio and really start mixing in a good strength program. At your ht/wt you most likely need to focus more on a recomp vs trying to lose the last bit of vanity weight.

OP, I'd recommend opening up your diary for others to view.
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I tried exercising without changing my diet much. Total failure. I just ended up eating more without realizing it because I got hungrier. I switched to changing how I ate and i worked out less and I'm seeing much better results. I will add more work out time after I've dropped a little more, but for now I abide by the rule of 80% diet 20% fitness
  • jfeakins
    jfeakins Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Op doesn't need to cut down carbs and sugar. Telling the OP to do so is a pretty blanketed statement considering their diary is closed.

I should have been more specific. I would recommend cutting UNREFINED carbs and ADDED sugar. I'm not talking about sweet potatoes or strawberries, I'm talking about white bread, white pasta, white rice... food so processed that it's sugars are absorbed directly into the bloodstream and stored as fat.

Studies show that these types of carbs and sugar are directly correlated to belly fat, and in my experience, cutting them makes a huge difference in your waistline. But I agree, without seeing her diary it's hard to say. I was just going with what *I* know to be true.
  • MityMax96
    Options

I should have been more specific. I would recommend cutting UNREFINED carbs and ADDED sugar. I'm not talking about sweet potatoes or strawberries, I'm talking about white bread, white pasta, white rice... food so processed that it's sugars are absorbed directly into the bloodstream and stored as fat.

Studies show that these types of carbs and sugar are directly correlated to belly fat, and in my experience, cutting them makes a huge difference in your waistline. But I agree, without seeing her diary it's hard to say. I was just going with what *I* know to be true.

I do white rice (a lot)
    and gummie bears.....

They have nothing to do with belly fat.
    Eating more than you need over prolonged periods of time has to do with belly fat
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Oh and this past Sunday night, I ate an entire large pizza, NY Style
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Unless you log every single thing you eat and drink there is no way to know how many calories you are taking in. And guessing/assuming is not going to do it.
  • 12_oz_Curls
    12_oz_Curls Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You gain fat from the center out, you lose fat from the outside in. Guess what the last part to lost the fat is! Just eat at a deficit, and you will lose weight. Add in strength training and you will change your body while you're at it. But you can't target fat loss. Your body is designed to store it in a certain way.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Does abs workout help in reducing my fat tummy?

Oh, and no...not directly. They're fine for core strength, but are pretty inefficient when it comes to overall strength and calorie burn. You can't pick what part of your body you want to lose fat from, ie spot reduce.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has helped me drop twenty to twenty five pounds. I love it because they are all measured for you, and actually really good meals!! Has helped me out a lot!! Plus I can eat the other style of meals but I make sure I am with in my point range, so I can enjoy my diet but still stay with in my points.
  • 39in39
    39in39 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I completely agree.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Simple: You're eating too much.