Knee Pain, Squats and Lunges

Options
A little background: When I was 14 or so I took up free running. I had gotten pretty good at it, but that came crashing to an end when I tried to do a jump that was way out of my league. I ended up landing wrong, and screwing up my knees pretty bad for a few months. Though, ten years later, they do ache on occasion they haven't been bad enough to cause me concern, until recently.

When doing squats and lunges after a set of 20 or so, I start getting a severe sharp burning pain in my knees. I wouldn't be concerned, except that it is not the sort of muscle burn 'pain' I would expect. It feels more in the joint, and less like muscle getting a decent workout.

I have tried correcting my form, and that has helped a bit, though I cannot seem to grind through a couple of sets without wanting to curl up and die. I'm afraid that, if continuing while ignoring the issue, I could screw up my knees.

I've noticed a similar feeling in the tendon than connects the bicep to elbow when working my arms, though it isn't half as painful. And in the case of the arms, goes away after half hour or so.

Is this a common experience? Should I work through it? Or ease up? Can I trade someone a pair of knees?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Tendonitis?

What has your doc said? If it were my legs, I'd be in with a physical therapist with the quickness.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    While I don't know your specific medical history, I do know that good form has helped me. I focus on keeping my weight in my heels and not letting my toes touch the floor which forces me to do a correct squat/lunge.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I have pretty bad knees, osteo-arthritis, a torn meniscus, almost 0 cartilidge, and inflammation behind my knee caps, and being knock knee'ed also really doesn't help. But I don't ditch the leg day work outs, but for sure I ditch the lunges, any exercise that puts all weight on one leg for me, puts in pain for a few days afterwards, I focus more on squats and bridges, and stick to the 5x5, anything more than that and it kills me. So maybe decrease the reps if you're doing 20+ reps in each set? and also yes on the form, on squats make sure to at least hit parallel or lower, I noticed in the beginning when I was pretty much half squatting, I would put soooo much strain on my knees that it would cause almost instant swelling. Try taking a wider stance and make sure to push up from your heels.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my left knee. I can only do partial squat/lunges...therefore I look like a beginner since I can't squat/lunge deep like you should. I also can't load up on the weights. I still think partial is better than none, so partial it is. I also do not extend past where it hurts.

One thing that helped me is cycling (low impact stuff) and, although I had my doubts, I take an over-the-counter glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. The glucosamine/chondroitin took about 2 weeks for me to notice a big difference...my wife notices it in 2 days, but she is inactive and I am very active.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    why don't you go see a doctor and get xrays ? My knees would hurt if i did 20 squats in a row, they hurt just thinking about it. I lift heavier in the lower rep range so my knees wont hurt . Make sure you are warming up your knees really well before you start squatting, get the blood flowing , maybe even wear knee sleeves to keep them warm and add a little support. Before i squat , I always spend about 15-30 minutes warming and limbering my knees and leg muscles up , and yoga and foam roller etc. that makes a HUGE difference in my knee pain.
  • ChrisCross0
    Options
    Thank you all for your input.

I'm trying to avoid visiting a Doc as they are expensive (especially procedures like x-ray), and at the moment I don't feel as though the issue is impacting me enough to worry. Excluding the squats and lunges, the pain never gets to be any more than a bother.
    Make sure you are warming up your knees really well before you start squatting, get the blood flowing , maybe even wear knee sleeves to keep them warm and add a little support. Before i squat , I always spend about 15-30 minutes warming and limbering my knees and leg muscles up...

Typically my warm ups are a light jogging alternating with sprints (both 25 meters ) I alternate 4 times. I toss a bit of shadow boxing on top of that if I plan on working my arms/chest. I've been having a hard time finding decent resources on warm up routines or exercise, is there anything you would recommend?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Options
    Something to consider although I'm not sure if its your reason for pain.

I found out 2 years ago from my personal trainer that my pelvis was out and causing an imbalance in my flexibility between my left & right side. I went to my physiotherapist and she gave me some great exercises to try and correct my pelvis rotation (one side is higher than the other and slightly shifted). I didn't continue with the therapy (ie. getting lazy) and then this year I started having knee pain. I took a few weeks off and started back up with Physio and have continued to do my stretches after my workouts and have way less pain. I'd say relatively pain free, even since starting Insanity.

I would suggest taking a few weeks off squats/lunges and trying a physiotherapist to complete an assessment to see if you have anything going on that could be easily helped.

Good luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid visiting a Doc as they are expensive (especially procedures like x-ray), and at the moment I don't feel as though the issue is impacting me enough to worry.

The joint(s) are compromised and injured. You can exacerbate it or you can fix it.

Fixing it is completely beyond your capability, because you're asking here. Go talk to an expert, or make it worse and spend months doing nothing while it heals and rehabs.

Blue pill or red pill. Your choice.