Do the comments ever stop?

Options
PocketPunky
PocketPunky Posts: 187 Member
I've lost 60 pounds. I'm 5'2", so I get that that was a big deal to the people around me. However, it's been a year since I stopped losing. So, WHY do people still feel the need to make comments???

This conversation just happened on the elevator:

Coworker: "Have you tried the new food trucks on Wednesdays?"
Me: "No, I haven't. Are they good."
Coworker: "Oh, that's right. You don't eat anymore."
Me: "Seriously? I eat a lot!"
Coworker: (laugh) "Sure you do..."

WHY IS THIS OK???? If I were overweight a coworker wouldn't feel comfortable making comments about what I eat. So why is it ok now that I'm not?

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Does this ever happen to you guys? Did it EVER stop???

Replies

• ap9133a
    ap9133a Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It stopped when I changed jobs!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Eventually, but I've been into health and fitness now for almost 6 years. I guess it helps that I moved 2,700 miles away, too. :P
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    1. Some people have no tact and will continue to make comments forever.
    2.You should challenge your co-worker to an eating contest.
    3.How many food trucks are there and why have you not tried them yet? Food trucks are awesome.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Because people feel bad about themselves and what they know are their own bad choices so they lash out in various ways at people who are doing what they KNOW they should be doing, but don't.

Usually it's just teasing - but there's a kernel of truth buried there.

It only stops if they 1. Make peace with themselves, or 2. Get off their lazy butts and do something about whatever it is that makes them unhappy.

Either way, it's not your problem. It's theirs.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    people in my office think i eat non-stop. because i get a lunch that is twice, or sometimes three times as large as theirs. they also know that i have lost 50-55 lbs.

so they comment on how much food i get. and that is almost daily. it gets a little annoying, but only when i'm already cranky.

then they get itty bitty lunches because they are trying to lose weight. somehow, it's not computing in their head that, again, i lost weight and am eating 3x what they are and they are not losing and eating very little.

i just smile and nod when they tell me about their "diet."
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Embrace it, sounds like something another woman would say. Shes jealous of your progress. It just means you are doing something right. Probably won't stop because she is jealous of you so she will try to say things to make herself feel better.

Take it from me though you look damn gorgeous. Congrats on the weight loss. Proud of you.
  • MasterBroshi
    MasterBroshi Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you don't get fat shamed by thin people, you get thin shamed by fat people. Don't let it bother you too much. Or, you could just verbally retaliate.
  • JojoW8183
    JojoW8183 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 pounds. I'm 5'2", so I get that that was a big deal to the people around me. However, it's been a year since I stopped losing. So, WHY do people still feel the need to make comments???

WHY IS THIS OK???? If I were overweight a coworker wouldn't feel comfortable making comments about what I eat. So why is it ok now that I'm not?

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Actually if you were overweight they'd try to give you tips on what to f-ing eat to lose weight. I just tell me to f* off and mind their own business...probably why I have so very few friends...like 3...including my husband :ohwell: lol.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    We teach people how to treat ourselves... BY NOT saying something... you give permission to your co-worker to treat you in a way that finds you reaching out to strangers on the web for affirmation that it was wrong... is your relationship with this co-worker so bad that YOU are reluctant to say something? OR is this the way you allow everyone in your world to interact with you?
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    No, I think no matter what you're eating (or not eating) people will comment on it. Years ago I used to always eat frozen dinners, ramen noodles, or Chef Boyardee, so people would comment then because it was all packaged food.

Now I cook food and bring leftovers, and people still feel the need to comment on my lunches.

Some days it can still bug me, but most of the time I just ignore them. Or at least try to hide my eye rolling.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Whoops, lol then he is either gay or he is mad he can't have you.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Actually if you were overweight they'd try to give you tips on what to f-ing eat to lose weight. I just tell me to f* off and mind their own business...probably why I have so very few friends...like 3...including my husband :ohwell: lol.

Sounds like my kind of friend.
  • monicastricker9
    Options
    I had this very same conversation with some friends of mine before. All I can say is that at the root of jokes is a kernel of truth. Meaning that there is a reason for the snide remarks and comments and it never has anything to do with the person to which it is directed. Those people are often jealous and insecure and when you took charge of your life and made the changes necessary it makes them take notice of how out of control their lives are. This coworker has rationalized your weight loss as being from a starvation diet and in their mind can content themselves with thinking, well I could be that small if I was willing to starve myself but Im not so I'm actually better off. It really is about the other person trying to feel better next to you. I find it ironic how many people make just as hurtful, mean spiteful comments to active smaller people and its accepted. If I were to say some of what has been saifd to me to obese people I would be written up, maybe fired etc. I would like to say the comments stop but they don't. I get the labeled and joked about often. I guess all I can say is to let it go. I know easier said than done. I will tell you though what I told my son and I follow it myself. If someone is bullying you or generally trying to bring you down, just remember you are the center of their universe and their own little obsession. He actually told someone that one day who kept trying to get him in trouble and cause trouble. The kid has since left him alone. I digress, and that is not to say that is what you face, but I have to remember that when people take issue with my fitness. And kudos to you on a healthy lifestyle.
  • jbrownnolan
    jbrownnolan Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Nope, they never stop. It's been 9 years since my big weight loss and the comments still come is almost all family outings.
  • TheDingBat
    Options

Ok, sorry, rant over.

Sounds like my kind of friend.

ditto
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Here's what happened...you got defensive. If you let it bother you...more specifically, if you let it show that it bothered you, the comments will keep coming.

Coworker: "Did you try any of the food trucks?"
    You: "No."
    Coworker: "Oh that's right you don't eat."
    You: "Yeah, I'm skinny. I look amazing, don't I?"
    ***End of conversation

ETA: This is why I have 3 friends, including my husband
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely curious: why does it bother you?
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The comments of your co-worker seemed rather snarky and insinuated a few things about you. The comments usually do not stop, it depends a lot on the person and the environment.