2»

Replies

• Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When you're low-carbin' and need a hit of chocolate goodness:

3 T. sour cream
    1 T. unsweetened cocoa
    2 pkts Splenda or fake sugar of your choice.

Mix well. So good.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you like cheesecake (who doesn't?), this is a very good one, very low carb!

Bawdy's Cheesecake

Use your mixer to blend:

2 eggs
    2 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 cups sour cream
    1/2 cup Splenda (or any flavored SF syrup you like)

Blend until combined, maybe 15 or 20 seconds. Then slowly add:

16 ounces cream cheese (2 packages, softened)
    2 Tbsp melted butter

If you like, in a separate bowl, you can make a crust out of 1 1/2 cups almond meal, 1/4 cup splenda, and 1/4 cup melted butter.

Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes (longer if you use liquid SF syrup). It won't look quite done, but it does firm up as it cools and has been in the fridge. To help keep the top from cracking, place a pan filled with water on the shelf below.

This last time I made it without a crust. I added some lemon juice and the zest of one lemon to the batter. It was good. 4.1 net carbs per serving.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If you want to try something heavenly and low low carb...try this

1 bag Pasto Zero (cook to instructions)
    2 ounces Full Fat Cream Cheese
    2 TBSP Grated Parmesan/Asiago Cheese
    2 TBSP Butter
    2 TBSP Crumbled Feta Cheese
    1 Can Spinach (drained solids to equal 1 cup)

Add all ingredients to the cooked pasta and microwave for about 2 minutes. Stir it up real good to coat everything, and enjoy (Note, this pasta is a bit different texture, so I use kitchen scissors to cut up the linguini pasta into smaller strips. Just lift it up with a fork, and clip it with scissors). It's scrumptious and halts all carb cravings.....guaranteed.

Now, on the note to all those that posted "CARBS ARE YOUR FRIENDS". No, carbs are NOT my friend, and they are not the friend of many other people. I am T2 Diabetic, and if I ate what all of you non-carbers suggest, then I would die early and end up looking like a blimp. Please resist promoting your lifestyle, when all this poster asked for, was recipes.
  • mereditheve
    mereditheve Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've never liked most carbs (not a fan of pasta, white potatoes, chips, crackers, cake, etc.) so I have tons of low carb recipes. Here are the easy stand-bys.

1 - Avocado salad - sliced avocados, tomatoes, bell peppers and a little bit of lime juice
    2 - Tuna salad with hard boiled egg -- eat with celery sticks
    3 - Protein brownies (various recipes online... I usually reinvent mine every time with different amounts of egg, protein powder, etc. -- but I use some sugar so not sure if that's low carb enough for ya)
    4 - Beef Carpaccio (delicious with capers and some olive oil and fresh black pepper)
    5 - Baked chicken thighs (coat in olive oil, add lots of Italian seasoning, pepper, salt to taste, and sometimes I add a little bit of cayenne pepper or chili oil)
    6 - Fennel bulb dipped in olive oil and spices (instead of bread with olive oil)
    7 - Smoked salmon (if you have a smoker and can make it at home, it's even better)
    8 - Chicken, goat cheese and sundried tomatoes - mix together and serve over arugula
    9 - Omelets
    10 - Cheez-its - put small squares of cheese in the microwave for 30 seconds until they become crispy and eat like cheez-it crackers
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Betty's Mini Asian Porker Cabbage Wraps

5.9oz ground pork, raw
    3 parboiled green cabbage leaves
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cabbage
    1 tbsp chopped onion
    1/4 tsp ground ginger seasoning
    1 tbsp Kikkoman low sodium soy sauce
    1/4 tsp plain sesame seeds
    1 tsp vegetable oil

1. mix ground pork, chopped cabbage, chopped onions, ground ginger, and soy sauce together by hand. Form 15 thin finger shapes and set aside.
    2. bring pot of water to boil. After cutting down each cabbage leaf into 5 pieces ending in a total of 15 cabbage wraps, place these into the boiling water and let parboil for just a few minutes before taking out to drain.
    3. heat 1 tsp vegetable oil on med heat. add the 1/4 tsp sesame seeds to the hot oil and stir continuously until light golden brown.
    4. spread the oil and sesame seeds out within the pan and begin to add the mini asian pork fingers. turn over frequently and be very careful not to burn. remove from pan as soon as pork is done so as not to overcook.
    5. place cabbage wrap on plate and add a pork finger, then roll up and ENJOY!! If you have enough calories and carbs to spare, feel free to spritz with more soy sauce on the outside.

Makes 15 wraps servings. Each serving has 36 CALORIES, 1g CARBS, 2g PROTEIN, 3g FAT, 46g SODIUM, 53g POTASSIUM, and 8mg CHOLESTEROL
  • BettJo64
    Options
    Betty's Protein Lasagna by the 1/3 Cup

14.1oz Publix Ground Turkey 93%lean/7%fat cooked, drained
    6.9oz Publix Mild Italian Bulk Sausage cooked, drained
    13.5oz Boar's Head Golden Classic Oven Roasted Chicken Breast, Low Sodium, thin sliced
    1 large egg
    1 3/4 cups Polly-o Ricotta Cheese-original
    1 tbsp Great Value Extra Light Olive Oil
    1 cup yellow onion chopped
    1 cup zucchini chopped
    2 tsps. Great Value jar Minced Garlic
    3/4 cup mushroom slices
    6 cups Publix bag frozen chopped spinach
    1 cup Publix Six Cheese Italian Fancy Shredded Cheese
    1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    4 tsps. Italian seasoning
    2 cups Classico Tomato and Basil Pasta Sauce
    3 cups Gia Russa Low Sodium Marinara Sauce

1. preheat oven 425F while sauteing onions, zucchini, and mushrooms in olive oil with the minced garlic. add in spinach and saute until all veggies are soft and lightly browned. remove from pan and place into a bowl for later.
    2. brown the turkey, then drain and remove to a waiting bowl.
    3. brown the sausage, then drain and remove to the same bowl with the turkey. add pasta sauces and italian seasoning to this bowl and mix well. set aside.
    4. In a 3rd bowl combine the egg and ricotta cheese. Mix well.
    5. Apply cooking spray to a 9X13 baking pan.
    6. Evenly spread 1/2 of the meat and pasta sauce bowl into the bottom of the baking pan first.
    7. Next begin to layer part of the thin chicken breast slices completely across the meat and pasta mixture. This will serve as your "Faux" lasagna noodles in this meal.
    8. Spread 1/2 of the Ricotta cheese mix evenly across the tops of the chicken breast slices.
    9. Layer 1/2 of the sauteed vegetables bowl next. Spread out as evenly as possible.
    10. Sprinkle 1/3 of the Parmesan and then 1/3 of the Six Cheese Italian Shredded Cheese across the vegetables.
    11. Repeat the layers a second time.
    12. Top with with all remaining cheeses.
    13. Mist a large piece of aluminum foil with cooking spray before placing over the baking pan. This will keep the foil from sticking to the top layer of cheeses in this lasagna.
    14. Bake 25 mins at 425F . Remove foil and bake another 25 more minutes. Remove from oven and allow 15mins to settle.
    15. Makes 32 servings of 1/3 cup each per serving: CALORIES 130 CARBS 4g PROTEIN 11g FAT 8g
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    http://beautyandthefoodie.com/easy-paleo-hamburger-pie-crust-free-and-low-carb/

I made this tonight and it was ridiculous. I actually like everything on her site, and the nutritional info she gives is pretty accurate with substitions for paleo, primal etc as well.
  • BettJo64
    Options
    Ricotta Muffins

2 cups Polly-O Ricotta Cheese
    4 large eggs
    1/2 cup Stevia powder
    1/2 tsp vanilla pure extract

1. preheat over 400F
    2. apply cooking spray to medium sized muffins pan.
    3. combine and blend all ingredients with mixer.
    4. bake 25-30 minutes watching carefully for burning.
    5. makes 16 muffins. Each muffin has 73 CALORIES, 2g CARBS, 5g PROTEIN, and 5g FAT.
  • elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like Linda's website, has so many recipes.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Carbs do not "go to your waist and stay there'. If they did, you would be a medical marvel and they'd lock you in a lab and study you like a rat. Seriously, what you are claiming is impossible.

It may be that because higher carb food items commonly have more calories, that when you eat more carbs you are inadvertently taking in more calories, causing you gain weight. But carbs in and of themselves do not cause weight gain. Only an excess of calories can do that.

edited for clarification

Ok so yeah,, I think this will be my first BS call-- I will agree with this post somewhat in that for "normal" adults they don't.

But for some women- such as myself- with a medical condition like PCOS or hypothyroidism (I have both) carbs literally are the cause of my weight gain. I can eat the same amount of carbs as a normal person without going over my calories and I will gain weight while they will lose or maintain. Also perhaps if the OP says carbs do this to her- maybe she has an undiagnosed medical condition that she is just self treating with the low carb diet! Just saying there are possible factors that cause this exact scenario
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    elsie0o0 wrote: »
    I like Linda's website, has so many recipes.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Goldmine-- thank you thank you for posting this website!!! I have been struggling with this since my doc put me on a really low carb diet (30g/day) or atleast really low carb for me-- but with all of these yummy looking recipes- I think I will be doing better with it!
  • Strongmom79
    Strongmom79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cavemanketo.com