Fed up of doing this

Options
I know some of you have been doing this way longer than me. I'm sticking with it, I'm not giving up, but god I just want to eat and eat and eat! I feel like food is all I ever think about. And it's so slow, I feel like I've made loads of changes but I've only lost 8lbs in 2 months and don't seem to have lost any inches, altthough my clothes are looser. I know 8lbs in 2 months is good and I want to do it slowly so it stays off, but goodness me it's soul-destroying at times!

Replies

• floweredsteel
    floweredsteel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You can do it!

Try to find a friend that will catch up with you on a monthly basis, either in person or on the phone. They can help by adding the wider perspective of seeing changes over a longer period of time. It's tough when the changes are so small that the daily, self- perspective seems so bleak.

Also, I'm just guessing about this based on your weight loss tracker, but 8 pounds might not translate to a lot of inches at this point. Think of weight as a roll of toilet paper: When it's full, a lot of pieces taken off won't changed the size of the roll much. But when the roll is closer to empty, a few pieces will change it a lot. You're making progress and before long you'll see the results in your clothes as well as the scale! Keep going!
  • lisanangel
    lisanangel Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hang it there...you are doing good !!! I know it's tough but it gets easier.:flowerforyou:
  • lizzynewm
    lizzynewm Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    you can do this!! it can seem painstakingly slow and be incredibly frustrating at times, that is for certain! but 8 pounds in 2 months is actually so good - that's a whole pound of fat a week! imagine how that's going to add up in a few months!

i'm not sure if this advice is good for everybody, but i am so with you in the "always-thinking-about-food" boat. i go to culinary school and food is my life! all i want to do is go eat delicious buttery cheesy things. to keep myself in line i always plan a "cheat" (i prefer the phrase "treat yourself") day over the weekend where i go eat whatever i want! it is a lifestyle, after all, and if you get as excited about food as i do, then it's sort of a necessity to let yourself indulge every so often. it's kind of gross how much time i spend fantasizing about that food-indulgence day, but hey, it works!

also, you can almost always make the foods you're craving, just a more-reasonable-calorie version! it doesn't have to feel like torture. there are ways of making it a lot of fun!

best of luck to you~
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know it can be frustrating sometimes but keep at it--slow is okay. As long as the scale is moving downward whether it be slowly or in leaps and bounds, it is still a positive thing and you can be proud of it. Don't be too hard on yourself. :happy:
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I know some of you have been doing this way longer than me. I'm sticking with it, I'm not giving up, but god I just want to eat and eat and eat! I feel like food is all I ever think about. And it's so slow, I feel like I've made loads of changes but I've only lost 8lbs in 2 months and don't seem to have lost any inches, altthough my clothes are looser. I know 8lbs in 2 months is good and I want to do it slowly so it stays off, but goodness me it's soul-destroying at times!

(A) 8 pounds in 2 months is basically a pound a week. That is VERY good.

(B) "don't seem to have lost any inches, altthough my clothes are looser" If your clothes are looser, you've probably lost inches. Good job.

(C) Suck it up. This ain't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Permanent changes take time. But, as another person said, indulge at times. If it fits your macros, chow down!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    My sister and I were just whining on the phone to each other -- me about exactly this, her about her own albatrosses. Find someone to share a whine with. It helps. There must be reciprocal whining for it really to work well. Then quick email or PM "thank you for listenings" are exchanged to leave a nice taste in your mouth.

Works for me. Of course, then my sister and I call our mother to whine about each other ... :laugh:
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options

(A) 8 pounds in 2 months is basically a pound a week. That is VERY good.

(B) "don't seem to have lost any inches, altthough my clothes are looser" If your clothes are looser, you've probably lost inches. Good job.

(C) Suck it up. This ain't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. Permanent changes take time. But, as another person said, indulge at times. If it fits your macros, chow down!

This is exactly what I was about to post. A pound a week is excellent progress, and looser clothes = lost inches.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    embrace the vegatable. That is the only thing u can eat a lot of and lose weight.Try new ones,use different condiments and spices. I bought gourmet sea salt and Braggs Liquid (it's like soy sauce), try sirachi. allow 2 tablespoons of a higher calories dressing once a day. I will eat almost anything with french dressing. eat sesames seeds and bean sprouts, try everything. roasted mushrooms are incredible. Good luck! I have also lost 17 lbs in 2 months. Do I wish it was melting off my body like icecream on a hot day YES!!!! but 17 lbs mean i can walk across the parking lot with out back pain and sob. Good luck!!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Seems you are on the right track. If it was easy, every one would be fit.
  • seren218
    Options
    Its not so much about "dieting" as it is making a lifestyle change. You are working on creating new and healthy habits and that takes time to adjust to. Also remember that the slower it comes off, your chances increase for it to STAY off. Keep your goal in mind EACH and EVERY time you want to "cheat" . Ask yourself if the extra calories are worth it. Planning for a cheat meal once a week can help keep you sane as well as keeping the body guessing at what you are doing, thereby getting to a sticking point much later in the process. Just dont let the cheat meal turn into a cheat day! Stick with it! ITs worth it in the end.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    find something that weighs eight pounds and pick it up.feel how heavy it is and think how that felt all over your body.i find it a great motivator when i get that same feeling as you.keep your chin up.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    More protein and more fat help me with the "hangries" tremendously. :flowerforyou:
  • bvagle
    Options
    Hang in there!! It is hard and some days I feel the same way! You are losing about a pound a week - which is that they recommend!!! Keep up the good work!
  • Glowiie1
    Glowiie1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    find something that weighs eight pounds and pick it up.feel how heavy it is and think how that felt all over your body.i find it a great motivator when i get that same feeling as you.keep your chin up.

Absolutely do this!!!!!!!!!! Then walk around with your 8 lb weight for a while, put it back down, and revel in the fact that you aren't actually carrying it around all the time!!
  • cogginsfamily91
    Options
    Hang in there.

Loose clothes and weight lost is a good thing!

I am starting back on my journey after giving up last year. I feel miserable and so unhealthy. I want to feel good again.

Continue on your path and find new snacks that will spice up your daily menu and break the monotony and make you feel more full. If there is a craving that you have, find a sensible way to fill it. There are so many food websites out there with awesome low-fat, healthy recipes.

Take care and I'll whisper a prayer for you today. :)

-Shelly, Tennessee
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! You've made great progress, and this will get easier as it becomes a habit. For now, maybe it's time to reward yourself (with something non-food related). Perhaps there's a movie you'd like to see or a purse you've been eyeing?
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Try aiming for 10lb goals. If you do it that way you'll soon hit 1 out of about 7 of your goals. Reward yourself after each goal (something small maybe not food if you think it'll make you back track). Good luck!
  • 40andFindingFitness
    Options
    Try aiming for 10lb goals. If you do it that way you've just hit 1 out of about 7 of your goals. Reward yourself after each goal (something small maybe not food if you think it'll make you back track). Good luck!
  • Early_Riser
    Early_Riser Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I hear you. And I get it. Personally I think people should take breaks from time to time if they're frustrated. I know I'd have given up without my weekly cheat days.

Here's what you do. Have a F it day. Eat all the food you've been missing skip the gym. It'll be fun, for a little while.

Then you'll feel bloated and lazy and probably a little down on yourself. The next day you'll go back to happily logging and exercising. You'll realize a day of indulgence can be fun, but living like that all the time is what got you to where you are.

Best of luck to you. Just don't give up.

This +100. I really feel like cheat days are important. every couple of weeks I go nuts. Order a pizza or something, tell myself I'm going to eat the whole thing..I usually end up eating 2 pieces and then I'm full. I eat two more later, then the next day I'm ready for another few weeks.