Any martial arts buddes?

Options
About a year and a half ago I started MFP to improve my appearance. I started at about 149 pounds, and managed to get myself down to 128. At 128 pounds, I hit a serious plateau, and was eating a net of about 800 calories a day to try to get over that hump, but to no avail. I lost my motivation, and gained back a good 12 pounds of the 21 I had lost. That being said, I am really into martial arts. I do kung fu, and I really want to get in shape so that I can do full contact fighting in a tournament next summer. I need to cut about 9 pounds in order to make it into the lower weight class, and I'm really trying to build up my arm strength and core. I train 4-6 days a week. I'd love to see if there are any other users out there that do any kind of martial arts or boxing! While the tournament I want to compete in is technically a kung fu tournament, the fighting is almost straight up street fighting, lots of boxing and ducking, as opposed to actual kung fu techniques. I'd love to have some fellow martial arts buddies on my friends list!

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Yep - TKD, Tang Soo Do and Kenpo in my past. Been away from it for some time but hoping to start Hap Ki Do if I can get my back settled down a bit. Miss it. Did a few tournaments in the past.
  • sti1imatic
    Options
    No official training but I give a mean *kitten* drop kick :)
  • lim12371
    lim12371 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Judy. I am practicing kickboxing moves with my personal trainer. He gives me 15 to 20 minutes of it as a bonus, when I've been good. I really like it a lot and I feel that it rounds out my strength training with him. I take the group cardio kickboxing class at 24 hours fitness center, but it's just hitting the air. Once I got to hit and kick a real target, kickboxing class is just not as satisfying. I started a tai chi class but will join it later on. I'm not that young, but I've gotten very fit over the last couple of years. I'd love to be your pal and give you some weight loss ideas that I've incorporated in my lifestyle. I lost 10 pounds more and now I'm at 113. I'm building strength and started on 30 pounds dumbbell. My trainer is impressed with me. Working on abs and nutrition. I actually went to gym in a sport bra with leggings. Finally confident enough to do that. Hope to hear from you. -Judy
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    kate21797: About a year and a half ago I started MFP to improve my appearance. I started at about 149 pounds, and managed to get myself down to 128. At 128 pounds, I hit a serious plateau, and was eating a net of about 800 calories a day to try to get over that hump, but to no avail. I lost my motivation, and gained back a good 12 pounds of the 21 I had lost. That being said, I am really into martial arts. I do kung fu, and I really want to get in shape so that I can do full contact fighting in a tournament next summer. I need to cut about 9 pounds in order to make it into the lower weight class, and I'm really trying to build up my arm strength and core. I train 4-6 days a week. I'd love to see if there are any other users out there that do any kind of martial arts or boxing! While the tournament I want to compete in is technically a kung fu tournament, the fighting is almost straight up street fighting, lots of boxing and ducking, as opposed to actual kung fu techniques. I'd love to have some fellow martial arts buddies on my friends list!

You may add me.

Recommend you Friend Request members you feel will be of some positive effect on you, via having a read through of this discussion thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068676-anybody-take-martial-arts
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Martial artist and instructor here! I would love to connect with more MAists. I am currently a 2nd Black Belt in Kuk Sool Won, working on my 3rd degree.
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently studying MA, but from 2011-2013 i took WTF Tae Kwon Do, but I had to quit due to financial reasons. Now i just workout at my local gym, but i really miss the mental and physical challenges that go with Martial Arts. I'm thinking of taking kickboxing (not cardio) classes on the weekends to help supplement my gym time, and maybe do it full time once my situation improves. Either that or BJJ, Muay Thai, or Karate..........not sure yet. I've always been a fan of MA, and i'm glad it's still a part of my life in some aspect.
  • pug_geek
    pug_geek Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st degree black belt in ITF Tae Kwon Do and purple belt in Bujinkan Ninjutsu. I am a big girl but love Martial arts I have to lose more weight because I have bad arthritis in both my knees and getting older I plan to go for my 2nd degree and need my knees to improve.
  • lovelyaddict
    Options
    I've been doing an art called Ho Kuk Mu Sul for nearly a year. I did a bit of krav while they had it at my school, but it was discontinued :(
  • muaythaijunkie
    muaythaijunkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am an assistant instructor in Muay Thai, and hold certifications in submission arts wrestling and pankration. I had stopped training for about 5 years, but now that I am back with my trainer in Kingston I am back into muay thai and BJJ. Looking for my first official fight in muay thai next year.
  • ConnFused
    ConnFused Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2 black belts korean karate Choi and Moo Duk Kwan. Black Sash Kung Fu. Competed on RSKA year ago ranked in top 10 for point fighting. But did that to practice for Koshu Kung Fu continuous fighting. got 2 national Silvers in fighting, and golds in forms and weapons. Miss It, but still have hanging bag in training room.
  • mericose
    mericose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Tae Kwon Do background and currently training MMA.. would love to connect with other Martial Artists! Feel free to add me!
  • ninjagrrl44
    ninjagrrl44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Second dan in shaolin kempo karate. Been a little out of practice since I moved out of my home state a year ago, but I still try to practice 3-4 times a week during my workouts to at least keep up with what I have. Hoping to get back into it soon to continue through the ranks. Feel free to add me C:
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    4th Dan Taekwondo here (28 years and counting!). Finding that as I get older, staying fit is a lot harder than it used to be! Martial arts is a big part of my life - I'm always happy to connect with others.