32.5 inch waist for optimum health :)

Options
I bought a copy of "You: On a Diet" at the goodwill store and started reading it.

interesting fact:

"For optimum health, the ideal waist size for women is 32.5 inches; once you hit 37 inches, the dangers to your health increase. For men, the ideal is 35 inches, and the dangers to your health increase once you hit 40 inches."

The book really emphasizes waist size over weight. I can really relate to this, because according to my bmi I am a "healthy" weight but my waist sure doesn't say "lean and healthy". From now on, I pledge to weigh myself once a month and track my progress by my waist size and how my jeans fit :D

good luck, ya'll!

Replies

• kkrupp
    kkrupp Posts: 20
    Options
    Intesting, but I do agree with this
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    i agree i'm going to do this as well once my challenge is over :)
  • purplespeckle
    Options
    update: i've dropped the challenge i was in and i'm no longer using my scale :)
  • mandypooh2103
    mandypooh2103 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Very interesting but so true b/c when I gained most of my weight I did measure my waist I was right @ 37" and I noticed how it affected my health and I was always so tired but since it has come down a little I have more energy and I feel alot better.
  • ralevin
    ralevin Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I often find that I am confused about waist size. I wear a size 40 pants, but I don't think I wear them at my waste. If I remember correctly, I'm supposed to measure waist size around the belly button (though I'm not really sure - can someone tell me if that's correct?) My circumference at my belly button is a good 10 inches larger.
    Where's the right place to measure my waste, for the purpose of knowing the health factor?
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Really????,thats seems like alot to me.when i was at a 32inch waist i was trying to hide my stomache,now at a 28 im only now comfortable with it.
  • salmonpi
    Options
    I think it depends on your height. I've heard you want your waist to be less than half your height, so 32.5 is fine for a woman who's 5'5" but for a shorty like me I should aim for 30"
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's not the "ideal" waist size, it's the MAXIMUM for optimal health.
  • Janfit
    Janfit Posts: 7
    Options
    I am currently getting measured for a brides maid dress when they measured me they asked me to bend, over or lean to one side. Where the crease is is where your waist iskind ajust below your ribs :)
    Hope this helps :)
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I have a 29 inches waist but I am overweight. like usual, it does not apply to fun size people
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's not the "ideal" waist size, it's the MAXIMUM for optimal health.

Thank you for making that distinction!!!! That was my instant reaction. I work in public health and 32.5" is the MAXIMUM a woman's waist should be before health is negatively impacted.

That does not mean that 32.5" is "ideal" i.e. that anything lower than that would somehow not be ideal.

As an example I am 5'6" and my waist at 32.5" would be positively fat! My ideal ratio when considering bodyfat etc is much more around 27"/28".