Omron Strapless Digital Heart Rate Monitor Opinions...

Options
I'm looking into heart rate monitors that aren't too expensive, and I found this one:

http://www.target.com/p/omron-strapless-digital-heart-rate-monitor-with-chest-strap-sensor/-/A-13950913?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=13950913&CPNG=Health+Beauty&kpid=13950913&LID=17pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13950913&kpid=13950913&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4uSgBRDZveXz9M-E1aoBEiQA2RMP6qmkqBO6pMirT_nzg6f4KGcBfXu_zEaB7NxUaPJ81ukaAs7X8P8HAQ

What I'm wondering is if anyone is using it? If so what do you think of it? Good buy? Bad?

If you're using a different and not too expensive brand and don't mind sharing your experience with the product let me know.

I'm just tired of estimating the number of calories I'm burning and the phone apps I've been trying either have the calorie count WAY to high or too low. Using one app I walked two miles and it said I burned 3 calories. That one was too low. I used another app and it said I burned 300+ calories walking the same two miles, but that was walking and seemed way too high.

So yeah, to end it I really want to get a heart rate monitor and would like tips and advice on good products for those willing to share.

Thanks!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't waste my money on any strapless HRMs. I would stop worrying about your workout calories and just use a TDEE method or up your base activity level in MFP. Or get a $50 Fitbit Zip.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    HRM models without a chest strap are going to be less accurate. A FitBit just bases on steps, not speed of steps. Walking speed ups the calorie burn.

This chart goes by weight & speed. But then gender would be helpful too (men burn more).

http://walking.about.com/cs/howtoloseweight/a/howcalburn.htm

I have a Polar FT4......basic for a Polar, but I like it for cardio. Not that much more.........
    http://www.target.com/p/polar-female-ft4-heart-rate-monitor-pink/-/A-15070619#prodSlot=medium_1_1&term=polar+ft4
  • got2befitnow
    got2befitnow Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A HRM is definitely great to help log your exercise more accurately. I found the same thing - different apps gave me very different estimates. I bought a Polar FT4 about a year ago. At that time it was $90 (Canadian). I don't think they sell that model any more, but it was just a basic HRM with a strap. If you're going to purchase a HRM, get one with a strap because it's going to be more accurate. They're really stretchy, and usually a soft material, so you can't really tell that you're even wearing it.

Good luck!
  • Chibimii
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I will take all of these into consideration.

Also I'll look up this "TDEE method" as I'm not sure what it is.
  • RJeria
    RJeria Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the basic Polar chest strap model and love it... you can get one fairly inexpensive.. maybe $59.. mine is a couple of years old and has started having trouble sometimes losing my heartbeat... has anyone experienced this issue with a Polar? I have changed the battery in chest strap and the watch. Any suggestions of how to fix would be appreciated.

Thanks, Renee