accurate calorie loss

jrwillden
jrwillden Posts: 3
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I am curious if anyone can explain why my calorie loss displays differently on the 2 monitors I use.

My treadmill (no weight or age entered) says I lost 270 calories when I walked for 30 min at 3.5 MPH, uphill.
My Mio HRM (weight and age entered) says 121 calories at the same speed and time.
And actually, when I enter my exercise on this site it usually gives me a completely different figure but closest to the treadmill total.

Is my Mio that off or is it the accurate one?

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    I'd go with the Mio - it's taking in far more precise factors (your HR plus age/weight) in estimating your calorie burn. The fact is, they are all estimates. The treadmill without weight or age is a pretty generic, useless (non-reliable) formula. MFP, while it does take age/weight into account, doesn't have the heart rate factor and I find tends to estimate on the high side for most things. You're safest going with the reading from your HRM.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Trust your HRM because it has your age and weight documented.
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    it is hard to say what is accurate and what isnt, they all only offer a guide, eg my new hrm gives me soooooo many less calories than mfp and as it has by age height weight and heart rate I am going with that. I was a bit pi@@ed off at first but I have got my head round the fact that IF it is the accurate one I need to be eating with that as a guide and not outrageously high numbers coz i wont lose.....
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    You can go with your threadmill just manually enter it so that you get the credit :)
  • Thanks for the info. I guess it is better to be safe than sorry and log the Mio figure.

Especially since this site makes me think I can eat more than I should after a workout. I like that feature on days when I'm craving something sweet but getting my exercise calories back doesn't always help this lover of food!

Thanks for responding!
  • ChristyDPierce
    ChristyDPierce Posts: 36 Member
    i go with what my Polar F11 HR monitor watch states....it has my height/weight plugged in, plus it is measuring my heart....so it can be a little more close to accurate...i don't think ANYTHING is ever ACCURATE tho... :( Good Luck :D
This discussion has been closed.