Is it too late?

Options
I have started to lose weight because my son was following in my footsteps and has a weight problem as a teenager I didn't start having problems with my weight until my late 30s. . I had some tests done beforehand and I had some bad results. I have a fatty liver, my blood glucose is in the diabetic range and my lipids are high. I see my doctor on Wednesday to go over the results. I know the weight loss will help but i can't help thinking that I waited too long and let it get too bad. My primary care doctor hasn't got back to me about the blood tests. My sister says it is because even though they seem really bad to me, they aren't critical and can wait.

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    It's never too late! All those things you mentioned are quite reversible if you begin (and sustain) a healthier lifestyle. Keep it up, and good luck! :flowerforyou: :wink:

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but it totally depends on what you mean by glucose being in the "diabetic" range...
    Once you've crossed a certain threshold, diabetes doesn't go away. Blood sugar levels can be maintained at a certain level with diet, exercise and sometimes medication...

Unfortunately there is a lot of misinformation going around about being able to "reverse" or "cure" diabetes...It depends on what the levels actually were-I'd wait until you hear from your doctor.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It is never, ever too late to improve. The things you listed can all be improved with a healthier lifestyle, and a lot of other things besides. Even if they couldn't be "fixed", their progress could be slowed or arrested by taking care of yourself, losing excess weight and eating in line with the guidelines for pre-diabetic or diabetics.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I saw my doctor and she said I am doing the right thing by dieting. She just wants to follow me for now. I was really nervous but she seemed to mean it could get better :)
  • faithnfitnesss
    faithnfitnesss Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine was in a similar situation and he is in his late 60's - and he turned his life around! I'm going to private message you Lori!
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Not to late at all! I've got you by a couple years and I've lost 17 pounds in the last 2.5 months. Add me if you'd like.
  • goyologo
    goyologo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No, it is not too late. You can reduce and even reverse your bad numbers by weight reduction and exercise.
    Surf around these boards - there are many, many examples of people salvaging their health by getting back in the game & tackling their excess weight and develping their muscles. Go for it! Good luck!