Best protein powder for protein oatmeal

Options
I love oatmeal but need more protein in the morning because I get too hungry without it. So I tried protein oatmeal but it was super clumpy and the powder did not mix well with the oatmeal. So for anyone that has tried it what protein powder worked best and is there a special technique I don't know or something?

Replies

• kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it,but the label might say to dissolve in a certain temp fluid,before adding to your drink?
  • dj1skywalker
    Options
    I know some people put protein powder in their coffee or yogurt. Oatmeal is already clumpy so not sure I would notice the difference.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Any vanilla flavored powder is a pretty safe bet. If you want more protein look for protein isolate, it's more concentrated and often more easily digested. Just mix it with a bit of milk before stirring it into your oatmeal. Adding it to hot water (or hot water to it) makes it curdle, but if you mix it in with something first it won't do that.
  • DarcyHaines
    DarcyHaines Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I make a breakfast of "overnight oats" I make it the night before by mixing natural yogurt, porridge oats, flax seeds, protein powder (any flavour you fancy). I mix in some semi skimmed milk to make it mix easier. It thickens overnight and I eat mine by spoon. You can adjust the initial consistency with skimmed milk if you prefer it runnier to drink.
    I hope this helps
  • vegkitten
    vegkitten Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use Vega One Berry flavor in oatmeal sometimes. If I add in some fruit, I don't even really notice it and there is no weird texture.
  • greenstar25
    greenstar25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've tried protein powder in oatmeal too and didn't like it, so what I do now is eat my oatmeal first, and then have a scoop of protein powder mixed with 1/2 c almond milk and 1/2 c water. I mean, it doesn't really matter how you get it in your body, right?! I have tried many different protein powders. Whey to me tastes disgusting, my favourite ones are 100% plant based, Vega and Sunwarrior.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just tried the Biochem natural. It is pretty taste neutral. I mixed it with my greek yogurt and couldn't really taste it which was a plus for me.
  • msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I add peanut flour to my oatmeal for extra protein. I use protein plus peanut flour that i order from amazon. 55 calories for 2 tbsp &8g protein (make sure to weigh because it clumps and measuring is inconsistent). maybe not as high protein as some others but the only thing i have found that doesnt taste horrible.
  • kiwigirl007
    kiwigirl007 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Almost like what msurads06 said, I recently discovered powdered peanut butter - fewer calories (they've extracted the oil/fat), concentrated protein. It's on Amazon. :) I bet it would taste amazing mixed with some cocoa powder!

http://www.amazon.com/PB2-Powdered-Peanut-Butter-6-5/dp/B002GJ9JWS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1411082369&sr=8-2&keywords=powdered+peanut+butter

I discovered it at Big Lots, of all places. :) You might be able to find it cheap at a place like that...