Granola -- high calories

Hello All,

I've heard that granola has high fiber and protein; so, I went to Sprout and check it out. The nutrition facts did list all the ingredient, but I noticed it's high calories. The one that I bought has 150 calories per serving (1/3 cup). I mean, I am trying to keep the calories low but then this so called high protein is high calories.Should I eat it or should I not?

Help me understand the calories count please. Thank you.

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    I eat it, but I make sure I portion it out properly before since I can just keep eating it since it's so tasty. I like it for a mid morning or mid afternoon snack. I also make my own, I actually just went to my Sprouts last night for ingredients. Here is the one I use:

http://www.theroastedroot.net/paleo-granola/

The first time I made it, I measured out the nuts in dry ingredient cups and weighed them. I created a recipe in the builder on this site and I have to make this about once a week since my friends and coworkers love it too.

Sorry, I guess I could have put the nutrition info! One batch makes about 32 1/4 cup servings at about 154 calories with 4 grams of protein.

I don't eat it every day but I can always manage to fit it in to my daily goal.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Granola typically has a lot of high-calorie ingredients (things like nuts, raisins, other dried fruit, etc.) and can have a lot of sugar and fat. It's not usually high-protein, though.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    It's not really all that high in protein as a rule, especially when you factor in the calorie vs. protein ratio compared to other foods. I can eat an entire bag of it in one sitting though so I usually don't keep it around. All the things that make it taste so good (lots of sugar and fat) are why it is so high in calories.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    It's not really all that high in protein as a rule, especially when you factor in the calorie vs. protein ratio compared to other foods. I can eat an entire bag of it in one sitting though so I usually don't keep it around. All the things that make it taste so good (lots of sugar and fat) are why it is so high in calories.
    +1.
    its rolled oats with honey and added dried fruit etc.
    recommended serving sizes to be within calorie counts are miniscule, i am just using mine up as yoghurt topper( in the pot) and them im done with it.
  • Boccellin
    Boccellin Posts: 137 Member
    Olivia from myfitspiration has a great recipe for "faux-nola" lower in calories, high in protein. She uses quinoa instead of oats.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    I have had weight loss surgery so a small portion of (homemade healthy) granola fits into my calories and macros nicely especially at times when I'm out for a long day of cycling or hiking.. BEFORE my surgery a 1/3 cup serving would have been a joke. I would have wanted the whole bag. If you enjoy enjoy eating a small portion and it fits into your calories and macros, then definitely eat it.. If eating a small portion of it seems like a tease to you and leaves you unsatisfied, then you'll do better trying to find something else that gives you more bang for your caloric buck.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Sure, eat it or not.

It's high in fat. High in sugars and carbs.

Damn it's good though, particularly when you make your own.

As a protein source though? That would be a terrible idea.
  • ypurcaro
    ypurcaro Posts: 17 Member
    Missjulesdid: What is Macro? Thanks for sharing your opinion.
  • ypurcaro
    Sure, eat it or not.

It's high in fat. High in sugars and carbs.

Damn it's good though, particularly when you make your own.

As a protein source though? That would be a terrible idea.
    I'm glad I didn't buy a lot. :-)
  • ypurcaro
    Thanks for sharing.
  • ypurcaro
    Same here, i don't keep it around either. This is the first time I bought it.
  • ypurcaro
    I eat it, but I make sure I portion it out properly before since I can just keep eating it since it's so tasty. I like it for a mid morning or mid afternoon snack. I also make my own, I actually just went to my Sprouts last night for ingredients. Here is the one I use:

http://www.theroastedroot.net/paleo-granola/

The first time I made it, I measured out the nuts in dry ingredient cups and weighed them. I created a recipe in the builder on this site and I have to make this about once a week since my friends and coworkers love it too.

Sorry, I guess I could have put the nutrition info! One batch makes about 32 1/4 cup servings at about 154 calories with 4 grams of protein.

I don't eat it every day but I can always manage to fit it in to my daily goal.
    What I bought is very similar to the link you posted but with some coconuts. Taste good. But, after reading all the feedback and opinions, I don't think I would want to eat Granola.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Missjulesdid: What is Macro? Thanks for sharing your opinion.

short for macrronutrient. Protein/Fat/Carbohydrate. Many of us try to fit foods into both our CALORIE allotment and our macro allotment. So depending on what else I'm eating in any given day, a food like granola, might fit into my calories for the day, but it might not fit into my macros because I might need something with more protein or fewer carbohydrates to stay in line with my preferred macro nutrient ratios for the day.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I haven't eaten it in many years due to the high calories but a box at Costco caught my eye. I came home and had a small dish and it was good. So an hour or two later I had another. Then I logged it and saw 540 calories. YIKES. This might be my last box of granola for another decade!
  • woofer00
    woofer00 Posts: 123 Member
    I reserve granola for circumstances when I need calorie or energy dense foods and space/weight are at a premium - for example, backpacking or hiking. There are almost always better options for a quick bite at home.