Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

not losing weight

soo, I have been off and on of mfp for years. I have stayed the same weight with or without it. I lose 4 lbs, gain `1, 2, 3, 4, back.... I eat less than I am allotted and work out and burn an extra 600 calories at least each day. What more can I do to help me lose the weight for good? I really only have around 10 lbs that I would like to lose.. but mostly in my belly.
thanks for any and all thoughts!!
angi

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    We can help more if you tell us more.

What are your stats? (height/weight/age/gender...)
    How much are you trying to lose in a week? With so little, you should be aiming for at most 1/2 a pound a week.

This thread addresses it well:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/737101-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner

Don't under eat. That won't help much.

And, finally, if you open your diary, we can offer more specific advice regarding that as well.

Good luck!
  • mommy2626
    mommy2626 Posts: 32 Member
    sure, I am about 5 foot 1 inch and between 123 and 118 lbs..... :) I am trying to lose a half to a pound a week. I have all the stats in mfp. and eating 1500 or so calories each day. today it was much more(stress eating and drinking wine:()
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    my suggestion would be you need to change your mindset. Instead of being just the same you that is on a diet for a bit change the way you view yourself. To keep weight off you need to be a different person because the current you doesn't . It depends how much you want to get into shape but how about looking at different types of fit people and turn yourself into they type that floats your boat. If you look and see people running and think that's a good way, do that. If you go to a gym to yourself into a gym bunny, if you fancy a splash see yourself as a swimmer. Once you chose just act out the new role - if you see yourself as a swimmer - swim as much as you can etc. As I said it depends how much you want it. If you want it as much as watching TV then you are in trouble, if you want it as much as seeing it as transforming your life into something far better than it is now then it will work for you.

Good luck
  • mommy2626
    That calorie number 1700 seems way high for a girl! I forgot to add I am almost 40 on the 27th of this month..... and a female:)

I thought my number would be more around 12-1500 calories a day. I run/strength with weights, hiit, and barre. I try to mix it up .
    I do not usually eat back my calories and usually leave 300 or more each day. I am trying to be more accurate with my food logs to make sure I am not overeating. today was a stressful overeating day. but not by that much:) and I still worked out. I hope to run in the morning. :)
  • mommy2626
    Thanks! I really generally feel good about myself. My belly is saggy and stretched from 7 births:) and I would love to change that and tone a little more. I do run a couple to few times a week. and work out every day for at least an hour. usually walk and or run, then work out strength or hiit:) and in general eat healthy:)
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    If you're not happy about your body's composition, eat enough protein, and start a heavy lifting program (or some other progressive resistance program).

When you get some time to yourself, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Do you strength train? Have you tried mixing up your exercise program?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    That calorie number 1700 seems way high for a girl! I forgot to add I am almost 40 on the 27th of this month..... and a female:)

I thought my number would be more around 12-1500 calories a day. I run/strength with weights, hiit, and barre. I try to mix it up .
    I do not usually eat back my calories and usually leave 300 or more each day. I am trying to be more accurate with my food logs to make sure I am not overeating. today was a stressful overeating day. but not by that much:) and I still worked out. I hope to run in the morning. :)

i'm a girl and i eat NET 1700 cals to lose weight....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    OP, before you change anything, do you use a food scale? And can you open your food diary? And how long do you workout?
  • mommy2626
    how do I open food diary? and no i do not use a food scale.
  • mommy2626
    I do strenghth, cardio and hiit.

I didnt mean that women shouldnt eat that much. everything I have looked at since I am a woman and short and not that overweight says I should be eating around 1200 calories, or less.... but I work out so much that I eat at least 1500 :)
  • mommy2626
    got it opened the diary:)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    If you don't use a food scale, you don't know how much you're eating.

To lose weight, you need to consistently eat at a deficit. Meaning for an extended period of time, not give up after a few days or weeks. With a low amount to lose, .5 to 1 pounds per week is the appropriate target. But with a 250-500/day deficit: its easy to wipe out with inaccurate logging.

So use a food scale. Weigh everything solid. Use cups/spoons for liquid. Be 100% consistent/accountable for 8 weeks. If you need a day off, that is fine - but keep the big picture in mind. If you have a day where you eat 1500 over goal, then you're wiping out the deficit for much of that week. Instead aim for maintenance every now and then.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Looking at your food diary now.

For the homemade entries, are these your own recipes?

How did you determine the weight of the 1 cup cooked rice? Since you indicated no food scale, I'm assuming its an estimate based on cup size. That's highly inaccurate unfortunately and can be off by 20% or more. The same for otehr days when you've had pasta, etc. Things that are calorie dense end up being off by more. Obviously 20% for lettuce is insignificant. But for pasta, rice, meat, etc. - its a big deal.

Even judging fruit, veggies by size (small potato, large banana) is inaccurate because you don't know what someone else thinks is small/medium/large compared to your interpretation.
  • mommy2626
    That makes sense. yes I just use cups like for baking to judge how much I am eating.
    most of the homemade items were my own. Lately Its probably all been more of an estimate. I do feel like I am eating consistently less and healthier options. I guess I need to be much more accurate. I guess I thought my calories used were an estimate, so these could be too:) must be estimating incorrectly. Iwill do better with that and see how it goes. I have been consistent for several weeks and still back and forth, but now I can see that I am probably messing with the deficeit by eating too much in one day!!!