What about a monthly visitor?

Options
Does anyone else notice they are VERY hungry during a certain aunts visit? Do you eat or wait it out? I'm normally pretty good at ignoring a craving but during those few days its like I can't help myself. Also, do you weight yourself? I currently weight myself daily but don't during those days as well because I know it's not my true weight and frankly it depresses me.

*** if you're going to be a negative Nancy in your response, do the community a favour and keep it to yourself!

Replies

• Bluwaves1
    Bluwaves1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My Aunt only visits us once a year....
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What if I wanna be a Debbie Downer? Is that ok?
  • QAPmom
    QAPmom Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    So with you there! I got the Mirena now, so I rarely get my period and if I do its only for a couple hours every few months, BUT that being said, I am AWFUL the whole week before. No self control and everything is fair game. I didn't notice it so much before (well I did but not as bad because it was way too often) it's terrible!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    What if I wanna be a Debbie Downer? Is that ok?

Not without written permission from the OP. :tongue:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The only aunts I have are by marriage, but yeah before my menstruation I was starving make those your cheat days
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My Aunt is an awesome cook, but she only visits every year or so.

But if you would like to talk about when I menstruate, yes, I get hungrier. I also bloat for the first few days and because I weigh daily, I know that and don't let it bother me. I may not "check in" on my weigh in day, though because it isn't a real gain.
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I killed the Red Fairy and buried her in the back yard. I hated the b&#@h. But yes, I was always hungrier when her visit was imminent.
  • nicailyzee
    nicailyzee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I have seen other posts on this and the general consensus is that appetite does change. I think it differs much with exercise. A lot of people are still able to keep up their exercise routine unless they are in severe pain. I used to use it as an excuse no to exercise but now I do not unless I am extremely exhausted. I tend to crave sweet and salty food before and after mostly chocolate, chips, cheesy foods etc., I gain weight after and I don't usually count a week or so. It is tough but some months I can handle it more than others. I still try (try is the word to look at) to keep it within my calorie goals but I find that I will eat about 6-700 calories in junk and the rest in what I consider good healthy food. It is what it is!
  • tifftwoten
    tifftwoten Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    That is one of my main concerns. Not only am I hungrier when I'm bleeding, but I always crave JUNK food. I love eating healthier but when I am on my period, I want pizza, chocolate, queso and other such crap. I am hoping to satisfy my junk food craving eating less and with better quality food.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I get super hungry, AND I also get mega headaches (I have headaches daily anyway, but they can be treated). It's hard to ignore both thinking I'm "hungry" when I'm not and also wanting comfort food because I'm in pain.

I try not to weigh myself during my period because I notice the scale tends to show a 2+ pound difference that I know is the period's fault. My weight usually evens out a few days after I'm done.
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So with you there! I got the Mirena now, so I rarely get my period and if I do its only for a couple hours every few months, BUT that being said, I am AWFUL the whole week before. No self control and everything is fair game. I didn't notice it so much before (well I did but not as bad because it was way too often) it's terrible!

While thankfully 'shark week' is down to maybe a couple of days of spotting and eating about 10 painkillers a day to deal with cramping, the 7-10 days beforehand my chest is so tender it hurts to walk down/up stairs, I need about 10 hours sleep a night, I am viciously hungry, get spotty, really horribly depressed and hair trigger ANGRY.

I am also given to inhaling 1/2kg bags of pick n mix sweets.

I have tried not having stuff in the house but then I just binge on whatever IS there. :frown:

I have a Mirena too (my second) so I am not sure how or if that affects things. I last took the Pill over 5 years ago and recall it being so bad that I swore off any large amounts of non localized hormones. :grumble:

But yeah, the week before I try and go to bed as early as possible, on Monday I want to kill everyone, inhale sweets and cry but come Thursday I feel as if a cloud has been lifted.
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am always ravenous 2-3 days before, but then have decreased appetite for 2-3 days once it starts. I don't worry about either because it balances out :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Actually, wanting to put everything and anything in my mouth all day long is a sign that I'm to expect a visitor next day. It never fails, even when I happen to be "late" or "early". I just.. well.. put everything and anything in my mouth. It's only one day a month and making it more stressful than it needs to be is not worth it to me. I do however try to stock up on low calorie food when I know it's close.
  • krmthomas
    krmthomas Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't keep junk food in the house either but a fantastic grocery store is literally two block from the house. Bright side, they carry a ton of organic, GF and healthier versions of stuff so I end up with low calorie popcorn and super dark chocolate. However, at work if i have a hungry day I end up eating a bag of cheezies and a chocolate bar. At least I know I'm not the only one who notices the extreme hunger whilst paying my monthly bill.
  • sodeelish
    sodeelish Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My stomach turns into a black abyss few days before. It's actually amazing how much I could eat and not feel full. It's always a struggle every month. I remind myself my body isn't really that hungry and doesn't need it. I drink more water to feel satisfied after meals and try to grab good snacks if I'm feeling nibbly. Don't spend time in the kitchen thinking about things you want. Just notice you're hungry or want to eat, grab the healthiest thing you see and get mentally distracted from the junk you'd rather eat. It's all in your head!