Any "clean" or healthy snack recommendations?

Options
I have at least 4-5 cheat snacks a week, usually a donut, because that's all we usually have, and I'm pretty tired of it (always going over my daily sugar allowance). I don't like sugary stuff, and fruits just don't seem to satisfy my sweet tooth (which contradicts my dislike for sugary items) . Anyone have any clean or healthy snack recommendations such as nuts, protein bar, etc..?

Replies

• Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    my go to snack is a hardboiled egg. I try to keep them on hand at all times, I boil a dozen at a time.
  • jessicagrieshaber
    jessicagrieshaber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I normally go for a handful of mixed nuts. Super nutritious and easy!
  • Fitdoge
    Fitdoge Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I LOVE carrots. The crunchyness and the lovely snap they make, and they're flavourful enough by themselves without having to cook them or add dip...but a light ranch dressing is good with them, if you don't like carrots by themselves. For a more fun alternative, you can slice carrots into slivers, or get Baby carrots.
    I also love to eat vegetable salads...baby corn, carrots, celery, and other vegetables you might like chopped and mixed together and put in small tupperware in the fridge. Mmm.

For a sweeter healthy enough snack I like light natural Peanut Butter and apple slices. Just about two tablespoons for a whole apple is all that's needed, and it gives you a sweet taste without the junkyness of just eating a candy bar instead.

Otherwise, you can make your own trail mix snack by buying some dried fruits, granola from the bag (the chunkier stuff), and any nuts you may like. This is a lot easier to do with Winco around...they have bulk bins, which makes making your own trail mix a cinch.

Oh, and as for really sweet stuff, if I'm having a bad craving for sugar and I would go over my sugar allowance for the day if I ate any dessert, gum is a lifesaver. They have all kinds of sweet flavours and you can chew it for as long as you want - a canister of Bubble Tape is better than a pack of peanut butter cups or a Snickers bar (or two :/ )
  • littlejane91
    Options
    greek yoghurt or cottage cheese bowls with lots of toppings such as granola, cereal, dried fruits, nut butters.,. if you need more protein you can flavour the yoghurt with chocolate or vanilla protein powder. If you feel like being a bit naughty you can add in some choc chips or other fun things. So versatile and a great way to use up extra calories :)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I am not by any stretch a "clean" eater, but I like munching on raw veggies like baby carrots, sugar snap peas + snow peas, broccoli sometimes. I also like sweetened greek yogurt (either flavored / mixed fruit like Dannon Lit & Fit or plain greek to which I add a little jam). For non-sweet stuff I like spicy beef jerky and as mentioned above a hard-boiled egg is tasty. Nuts another good selection, though we tend to not have them around (and they are pretty calorie dense). A little bit of bread and some herbed or garlic cheese is a tasty and filling snack too.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Don't know if these qualify as "clean", but they look good to me! http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • HamptonPhoenix
    HamptonPhoenix Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I like baby carrots, grapes, or sometimes I do a turkey rollup with cheese. Low in calories, good protein, and fills you up! :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Xtra Cheddar Goldfish
  • aliciahiatt
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt with a little granola or cereal mixed in. High protein, sweet, crunch! :) I do the 100 calorie and budget for it!