Misto - oil mister

Options
Hi all,

I have an oil mister that I use in place of the storebought nonstick sprays (i.e., Pam). This is the brand I use: http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

I fill it with my own oil, usually California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I know the Pam serving size is 1/3 second spray and 2 calories, 0 fat. Honestly, who sprays Pam for 1/3 second and stops? Do people time themselves spraying oil? I argued with my mom about this, because I know she coats her pans really thoroughly but insists it doesn't add any calories or fat to her food. Arguing with her is pointless though, so I gave up.

I'd guess I spray 1-2 seconds on average, more if I'm coating a cookie sheet or loaf pan. I'm wondering how I'd calculate the serving size of the oil I spray with the mister, and the nutritional value of the spray? Any ideas/suggestions?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Does the manufacturer give you any hints? I had one from Pampered Chef and it said how much a spray was in the accompanying booklet. For baking, I usually use parchment paper instead of spray.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,974 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have an oil mister that I use in place of the storebought nonstick sprays (i.e., Pam). This is the brand I use: http://www.amazon.com/Misto-Brushed-Aluminum-Olive-Sprayer/dp/B00004SPZV

I fill it with my own oil, usually California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I know the Pam serving size is 1/3 second spray and 2 calories, 0 fat. Honestly, who sprays Pam for 1/3 second and stops? Do people time themselves spraying oil? I argued with my mom about this, because I know she coats her pans really thoroughly but insists it doesn't add any calories or fat to her food. Arguing with her is pointless though, so I gave up.

I'd guess I spray 1-2 seconds on average, more if I'm coating a cookie sheet or loaf pan. I'm wondering how I'd calculate the serving size of the oil I spray with the mister, and the nutritional value of the spray? Any ideas/suggestions?
    The average 0 calories spray container contains around 700-800 calories. If you use pam as a guideline then a 2 second spray would contain 12 calories.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Weigh it! You can weigh your misto before and after - the difference is how much oil you used.
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    you can also spray into a 1/4 cup measure for approximately the same amount of time you would when cooking then measure. I don't use anything at all when I saute as I have good quality non-stick pans and I preheat them. If I'm baking I brush on melted butter and use parchment but the butter is figured into the recipe and portion sizes - and if I'm baking it had better be a cheat day anyway.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The nutritional info should be the same as any other olive oil, and if you're just spraying a pan you cook on, the calories will be negligible. Though if you want, maybe log 1/4t of olive oil or something. A lot of it probably stays on the pan and you need to divide the .5t or so you use over all the servings.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weigh it! You can weigh your misto before and after - the difference is how much oil you used.

Yup! Or put your pan on the scale, tare it, and see how many grams of oil you're spraying on.
  • bohemian124
    bohemian124 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I think I'll try measuring the can before and after a few sprays. I know it will be negligible calories/fat, but I still want to be accurate if possible. :wink: