Help: Bad Sweet Tooth.

Options
I have the worse sweet tooth in the world, that is what causes most of my weight gain. I feel the need for something sweet after I eat. I want to eventually train my body to not want it as much. Any suggestions or healthy snacks that taste great and are good for you??

Replies

• NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm keeping an eye on this post cause I'm the same way!! I wake up in the morning wanting something sweet. I'm pretty good throughout the day but then the cravings back after dinner!!!
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I'm keeping an eye on this post cause I'm the same way!! I wake up in the morning wanting something sweet. I'm pretty good throughout the day but then the cravings back after dinner!!!
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Honey combs
    low fat 1g for 1 cup and low cals.
    Fibre one bars.....YUM!
  • AmyJopp
    AmyJopp Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Special K bars too......strawberry and they are sweet! I usually eat one for my snack in the am and fibre one bar in the afternoon as my snack!
  • Coramae09
    Coramae09 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    maybe try the weight watchers little chocolate candies or maybe make some "diet cupcakes" the can of diet soda and a box of cake mix....i understand what you are going through! I really try to weigh my choices before i grab for something sweet i try to remind myself of how hard i have to work out if i eat that! good luck to you and eventually the cravings should start to go away :)

oh the fiber one bars re really good too!
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    yogurt! I know it's not the same as homemade cookies or something (I also have a SEVERE sweet tooth), but I find that yogurt really helps satisfy a sweet tooth. Yoplait Light has tons of different flavors and all are delicious :)
  • monheim2
    Options
    A hot cup of decaf. tea with sweetener helps me. I usually like a fruit tea or peppermint tea!

Another great tip is frozen grapes!!! Makes you think your eating sorbet or some other frozen dessert!!
  • shushka136
    shushka136 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Me and you both! I go into "crazy" mode when I see something like chocolate or donuts, and I literally binge! Since I signed up 6 days ago, I only lost control ONCE! I still have the cravings, but I find that going for fruit, nuts, or chewing gum usually takes the edge off. I've also been told that a good thing to try is to set a timer for 15min, and try to do some busy work, and your craving should go away by the time the timer runs out. :) Try it, and let me know how it works for you.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    yogurt! I know it's not the same as homemade cookies or something (I also have a SEVERE sweet tooth), but I find that yogurt really helps satisfy a sweet tooth. Yoplait Light has tons of different flavors and all are delicious :)

I agree. Very Vanilla tastes like vanilla frosting to me. Add in some peaches (I don't even really like peaches) and it's so yum!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, all very good ideas. I will most def try the Fiber One bars, they have chocolate chip flavors. The cravings should decrease the less I give into eating sweets all the time.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Any dried fruit will be super concentrated in flavor and sweet. I especially like dried figs. Just watch the calories, as it's easy to forget that fruits have sugars and sugars = calories.

Not really nutritionally useful, but Cherry Coke Zero also really takes the edge off of my sweet cravings.

I'm also kind of addicted to licorice lately. I initially got into it because I have gastritis and licorice is supposed to help the stomach lining. There are these "Panda" brand soft licorice chews that are to die for. I also just ordered some Stash Licorice Spice tea, which had a great review as being a dessert tea with natural sweetness. I really like the Chai Spice tea by Stash, so I'm hoping the licorice flavor is good as well.
  • brownof4
    Options
    Something that helps me with my sweet tooth is to keep some sugar free jello pudding snack cups in the fridge (only 60 claories) I add between 2 and 4 tbsp of some fat free ready whipped cream on top (5 calories per 2 tbsp) and I'm in heaven. I love chocolate, so I get the chocolate pudding. They have several that are low calorie, including tapioca and a strawberry cheesecake, chocolate mouse and carmel something or other...but it's a great snack and takes care of that craving without the guilt. If I'm pressed for time, I eat a special K rasberry cheesecake granola bar for 90 calories.
  • hbrhonda
    Options
    I cut up a Premier Nutrition Protein bar into 8 pieces. I get them at Sam's club. Then if I feel the need for something sweet, usually once or twice a day, I eat one piece. I "cheat" but not really. :tongue: :happy:
  • ambobber
    Options
    Keebler snack packs have saved my life! you can even get chocolate covered pretzels and they are only 100 calrores a pack.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am using the yogurt suggestion already because I also crave sweets. I have been putting about half of mine in the freezer each time I buy them and eating them frozen. The last couple have been more "icy" than creamy, but I think that is just because my freezer is weird. The ones I put in the door of the freezer came out almost exactly like ice cream! Excellent way to kill off a craving.

Another one I found is the 100 calorie packs of brownies (or cookies). Those are enough to feel like I am getting a treat without breaking the calorie bank.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have the need for something sweet at the end of the day as well. Yougurt and blueberries always do the trick for me.
  • Rachelbab1230
    Options
    Me tooooooooo!!! Sugar for me is - Love It, Gotta Have It, Need It NOW!!!! I really ahve cut back but I could never give it up completely.
  • Rachelbab1230
    Options
    *have
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    I like dark chocolate and it's good for me, so I have one square a day usually. I also like the snack pack fat free puddings. I don't do artificial sweeteners. I love the new cinnabon cream of wheat in the morning. Even after adding 1% milk it's low calorie. Fruit is good too if you have a sweet tooth, I love fresh pineapple!
  • rhiannon1979
    rhiannon1979 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my absolute downfall! I have always eaten pretty well besides the desserts! What I have found, that helps me, is drinking decaf coffee with sweetner and flavored sugar-free creamer. I do this a lot in the evenings after dinner.