What heart rate monitor are recommended?

Options
I'm thinking of getting a heart rate monitor to try and keep a more accurate track of calories and such, but don't know which ones work good! I've looked at a few online and some don't have great reveiws and then other ones are very expensive! Any recommendations would be gretlay appreciated!

Replies

• arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Curious to hear the answers on this post as well. I too am looking for one, but dont want to spend a fortune!
  • AnitoLauriello
    AnitoLauriello Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Sunnto Watch/HR Monitor with chest strap, works great.
  • Kreepy
    Kreepy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I bought a BHIP monitor about 4 years ago and love it. It isn't the prettiest monitor but it does the job. It comes with a heart strap which feels a bit uncomfortable at first but after a while you forget it is there. This also has a stop watch and a timer feature and other facilties such as alarm, maximum/minimum/average heart rate. You can programme in your age, weight and heart rates etc so that the calculation is more accurate.

At £39 it is quite cheap in comparison to some of the other monitors. The only thing that might prevent you from getting this is that I don't think it is compatible with the Gym machines - which suites me as I use mine horse riding, running and cycling.

I ordered mine from here http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/cardiosport_impulse_12.html

Hope this helps.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar F4. I've also heard great things about the Polar F7.
  • chrish1981
    Options
    I can tell you NOT to buy the Schwinn one that costs 35 bucks....it's HORRENDOUS. The calorie count is way off. I actually just take the number it gives me and divide it by two for a semi-accurate reading (it coincides with information that I read online, but it's a hassel).

I heard BodyBugg was good, and Polar also.

<
    can't afford either of them right now. :frown:
  • mable10
    mable10 Posts: 39
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 and love it. I know it can be expensive but well worth it in the long run.
  • girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you! i will look at all of those listed!
  • craignewell
    craignewell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    hiya!

I used and LOVED my Polar monitor for years. The chest strap was compatible with the LifeFitness machines at the gym which really helped a lot.

Now I use the HRM that is built into my Garmin Forerunner 305. I haven't tried to see if the band will work at the gym but I suspect it won't.

My advice is to get a HRM with a band as opposed to one that you need to touch for 5 seconds to get your rate. Just my $0.02.

Craig
  • SpazyK
    SpazyK Posts: 17
    Options
    I just got a heart rate monitor for Christmas and I LOVE it so far. It's called the Sportline 915 Women's Solo Heart Rate Watch and you don't have to wear a chest strap! Very easy to use and affordable (regularly $60, but on sale for $43 at Amazon). I love having a heart rate monitor mostly because it keeps track of calories burned during my workout. This has totally re-energized my workout - I'm able to see which exercises burn more calories than others.
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I got an inexpensive one (if you call $40 inexpensive) at Wal-Mart. Don't waste your money. It is just the watch type, but doesn't fit my wrist, even on the smallest setting it slides down. Also it is not picking up my heart rate correctly. Yesterday while I was wiping my counters, it beeped to tell me that I was in the High Zone. This morning while I was jogging at 6mph it beped to tell me that I was low.
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So do the HRM's display the calories burned, or do you have to work it out from the average heart rate during exercise?
  • kmvbear
    kmvbear Posts: 16
    Options
    Polar F7 rocks my world! Any Polar product is good in my book. So easy to use, accurate, and it syncs with the equipment at the gym. Once you decide, let us all know what you get! I love new gadgets.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I went to Polar's site and it isn't the best site, I couldn't tell if the FT7 comes with a chest strap or not, anyone know.
  • SpazyK
    SpazyK Posts: 17
    Options
    arbragg - the HRM's calculates the calories burned for you. You don't need to do anything :)