Every day my sugar goal is angry and red :(

Options
My 1200 calorie diet (5021kj) isn't that hard for me to maintain, I am continuously losing a healthy amount of weight per week on this calorie intake, however at the end of every day I seem to be seeing angry red numbers in my remaining sugars.

Now I eat a diet I believe is pretty healthy. On a normal day I would usually have oatmeal or a green smoothie for breakfast (with kale, banana, berries, fat free greek yogurt and chia seeds). Lunch is usually some kind of soup (either chicken broth with vegetables, or seaweed soup with rice noodles). Dinner is whatever and depends who I am eating with. Eating with other people it's usually meat and salad, but if I'm by myself I eat whatever I want basically. Usually fruit, or more soup, or canned tuna and avocado etc. I have two snacks throughout the day, 15g of almonds/20g of peanut butter and vegetables/steamed sweet potato.

Now, here's the thing. I know where the sugar is coming from. It's the fruit and the honey I use in cooking. I never use more than 15g of honey when adding it to things like smoothies or yogurt but all the sugar ends up adding up.

Is this really a problem, and should I cut down my honey and fruit intake? Because I need that volume to meet my daily calorie intake. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you~

Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just remove the sugar section from your diary.
    I never look at my sugar levels, because I know I'd be over everytime I have a fruit salad.
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine too, but I ignore it :P I just love fruit and deserts. Not giving up on them. I try to hit my protein goal and not to go above my calorie daily limit. This is it. And it works.
  • elinegri
    elinegri Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think deleting the section is a good idea. As long as I stay within my calorie intake, weight gain will not be a problem. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I asked an alcoholic how much it was ok to drink, a smoker how much I could smoke without issues, etc etc.

I'm guessing someone proposed the limits for a reason.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I asked an alcoholic how much it was ok to drink, a smoker how much I could smoke without issues, etc etc.

I'm guessing someone proposed the limits for a reason.
    Maybe because the vast majority of the population don't track their calories, an increasing proportion of the population eat too much and are getting fat, sugary items tend to have a high calorie load, it's an easy win for people to cut down without having to put much thought into their overall diet.

"Cut down sugar" is a nice simple message along the same lines as road safety campaigns that say "Speed Kills" - something you can get across in 30 seconds or on a poster. And similar to that message the more you look at it the less sense it makes (speed doesn't actually kill and sugar doesn't make you fat or unhealthy in sensible and appropriate amounts).

Personally I put more thought into my diet than the general population and don't track sugar at all. Completely pointless for me.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My fats are over almost everyday, mostly from olive and coconut oil, but I also am losing weight at a healthy rate, so I just ignore it.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If you take a look at my diary, I'm always under my sugar limit (unless I have a cheat day). I am rarely ever hungry (unless I exercise heavily that day), and the weight is falling off me despite my not really exercising much more than I normally do. Basically, now that I limit carbs, I really don't have to work too hard at losing weight!

If you want to prevent diabetes, I would limit ALL carbohydrates to no more than (as a general rule) what your body will actually burn in a given day (probably for you 150-200 g per day). Eating carbs causes insulin release which also causes both hunger and fat storage. I don't believe in the RDAs listed because they are based on old research, which tells us to limit fats and cholesterol for heart health (not supported by research). Natural fats and cholesterol are wonderful for healthy endocrine and neurological function. Check out this recent article I came across:

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-6-greatest-cholesterol-myths-debunked
  • Neritel
    Neritel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Eat your fruits, they are good for you. When it comes to diabetes, preventing and curing it, check out dr mcdougall and some of his colleagues who have shown that heat disease and diabetes are curable on a high carb (!) low fat plant based diet.

I do avoid processed carbs or processed food in general but fruits, vegetables and even unprocessed grains do not deserve being put on one level with processed carbs. I mean if i want to i can exceed my sugar limit given by mfp by default by eating a few bell peppers..
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your protein bell should be going off.....where is it?
  • laurenweird
    laurenweird Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a topic about this because it was starting to annoy me!

I've recently turned my lifestyle around and gone from never eating fruit and vegetables to aiming for my 5 a day (if not more) and currently, whilst I get used to it, I am blending fruits in to smoothie like drinks in the morning and this is maing me surpass my sugar levels each time - but surely this is a "good" sugar so it shouldn't matter too much? Same for calories, they actually account for a lot of my calories, but aren't they "good" calories? I always heard that calories in fruits and the like are unlimited?

So I've given up looking at the sugar. I know my diet has improved tremendously so it doesn't bother me too much, at least the sugar isn't coming from chocolate or something!