White kidney bean extract may be working

Options
2»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    do you plan on taking these for the rest of your life?? taking carb blockers and similar diet pills puts your body into a state of turmoil, as it has to change the way it responds to the food you intake. When you eventually stop taking white kidney bean extract, the body no longer has the proper mechanisms it had before to break down carbohydrates, thus facilitating more weight gain.
    Citation?
  • mamadragon
    Options
    I also have thought of trying this out but i do NOT trust the so called dr oz. A co=worker's son (who is a doctor) does use it and has lost weight with it. He did say that you shouldn't stay on it week in and week out. You need to stop taking it for a couple of days because your heart does need the carbs. All the ones I have seen in the stores, require you take 4 tablets a day!!! Ugh .... any that don't require that many? thanks
  • Pynkklady
    Pynkklady Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, they do work, assuming you get what the label says. Kidney bean extracts contain Alpha Amylase inhibitors which block the absorption of carbohydrates. It is not recommended for anyone whose medical conditions or medications lower blood sugar. Long term safety has *not* been evaluated.

Oh, and white kidney beans are often known as navy beans.

So would you get the same effect adding white kidney/navy beans to your diet? Seems it would be more natural and you wouldn't have to take a supplement...?
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Whaaaaaaaaaa? You don't need to take pills to lose weight, block carbs etc. Don't over complicate it :smile: And don't waste your $$ . These posts are a wonderful source of information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Edited to add :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Dr. OZ:

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/~policylab/2013/06/14/pulling-back-the-curtain-on-dr-oz/

"Have you bowed down before the great and powerful Oz? No, I’m not referring to the fictional wizard from Dorothy’s magical land. I’m talking about mass-marketed medical guru and Oprah protégé, Dr. Oz. And while he may be powerful, the scientific community is not convinced that his recommendations are all that great."

^Exactly. He has never shown anyone anything miraculous and most of his stuff is common sense when he's NOT spouting nonsense. I can't stand him and never could.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Whaaaaaaaaaa? You don't need to take pills to lose weight, block carbs etc. Don't over complicate it :smile: And don't waste your $$ . These posts are a wonderful source of information!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Edited to add :
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

WHOOPS

Sorry, didn't realize you aren't a newbie *blush*

< Slowly backs up and runs outta the room >
  • mamadragon
    Options
    I really do not like eating navy beans ... never have .... this sounds more like it if I want the benefits of the beans. I will check out to see what else contain Alpha Amylase naturally
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    MFP QUIZ: What does July 18, 2011 and this thread have in common?
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Wow, I had no idea this thread had been resurrected. For those of you who think I'm looking for a "magic pill": suck it. I work hard, eat right, and have maintained a 50 lb. weight loss for over 3 years. I'm no Dr. Oz fanatic -- some things that he recommends are good, some aren't. I do the research and have the critical thinking skills to know which is which. (Dr. Oz also recommends drinking green tea. Would you not drink it just because Dr. Oz recommended it?) If you're someone who never, ever, ever, ever eats carbs, more power to you! I like to splurge occasionally. So does nutritionist JJ Virgin, who also takes and endorses white kidney bean extract capsules. Have you seen her abs? Does she look like someone who is takes the "easy way out?" FWIW, I don't even take these pills anymore, not because they didn't work but because I could never remember to take them a half hour before a high carb meal. Reading this old post has renewed my interest. I think I'll pop one tomorrow before my Thanksgiving meal. :-)
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    basschick wrote: »
    Wow, I had no idea this thread had been resurrected. For those of you who think I'm looking for a "magic pill": suck it. I work hard, eat right, and have maintained a 50 lb. weight loss for over 3 years. I'm no Dr. Oz fanatic -- some things that he recommends are good, some aren't. I do the research and have the critical thinking skills to know which is which. (Dr. Oz also recommends drinking green tea. Would you not drink it just because Dr. Oz recommended it?) If you're someone who never, ever, ever, ever eats carbs, more power to you! I like to splurge occasionally. So does nutritionist JJ Virgin, who also takes and endorses white kidney bean extract capsules. Have you seen her abs? Does she look like someone who is takes the "easy way out?" FWIW, I don't even take these pills anymore, not because they didn't work but because I could never remember to take them a half hour before a high carb meal. Reading this old post has renewed my interest. I think I'll pop one tomorrow before my Thanksgiving meal. :-)

nutritionistlol
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

yeah_sure_jon_hamm.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So wait you're trying to neutralize/ block carbs by eating carbs. Last I check beans were what's the word....carbs
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    There's an extract in white kidney beans that helps the body stop carbs from breaking down into sugars.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you plant the pills, will a giant beanstalk grow?

:D Lol

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    There's an extract in white kidney beans that helps the body stop carbs from breaking down into sugars.

Looks like in this study (which was done on a very small group) that the capsule didn't do anything. Have to take it as straight powder and has to be 3000mg.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2776021/

It also didn't "block" carbs, it lowered the GI of it. All of the studies done on whether it actually caused weight loss had a variety of flaws and there were zero studies that showed it blocked carbs from being digested.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I cut out the carbs and so carb blocking was required. :)

What is the point of eating something then try to block it from being digested. Just do not eat the flipping stuff so no blocking is required even if it does work.