Are squats combined with running too much?

Options
So I started running about 4 weeks ago, and I've been making good progress. After I finished my run last night, I decided to try adding in some weight lifting and did some squats, bench presses, and bent over barbell rows. Tonight I only made it to about 1/3 the distance I did last night before the pain and weakness in my legs forced me to stop.

Is this something that I would be able to work through eventually? I really don't want to slow down the progress I've made with running.

Edit: I should add that I've been on a deficit of about 1400 calories, and consume about 90g of protein per day...
Also, I have been running 6 nights a week.

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    watch your knees. i was running then started doing a class with a lot of squats and all that pressure on my knees at my weight... i couldnt run for a month because my knees got ruined, and i still cant squat, lunge, or climb a lot of stairs without pain after two months.

what i am saying is... the combo was too much for me, i dont know about you but if it starts to hurt your knees stop. burn is good, pain is not.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I usually do a 5k run before my lower body lifting, but I've taken a couple of years to get there and I would rest or swim the next day to recover.

Make sure you actively stretch and foam roll before, and stretch and foam roll after or your muscles will cause havock with your joints.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting since July but only fully committed for about a month.. I have also been running for about a month.. I always lift first, then stretch, then run and stretch again.. I have no problems doing this.. I'm consistently lifting more and my mile is improving. . The very first full nonstop was 19:10 and yesterday's was 11:54..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I started running about 4 weeks ago, and I've been making good progress. After I finished my run last night, I decided to try adding in some weight lifting and did some squats, bench presses, and bent over barbell rows. Tonight I only made it to about 1/3 the distance I did last night before the pain and weakness in my legs forced me to stop.

Personally I'd alternate running and resistance sessions, rather than combining, although I do regularly use a 5K run to the park as a warm up before resistance training.

It really depends on your distance and pace, but squats and similar are complementary to running as good injury prevention activities.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    It depends on your current conditioning level, how often you're lifting and running, and the distances involved. Generally speaking though it is absolutely fine to be both squatting and running, and frankly a good idea for a variety of reasons, including body composition and conditioning.

If you just started running and lifting, yes it's going to be hard for a while. Keep it up and increase distance, speed, and weights slowly.
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I do my leg workout on the off running day. Upper body running day, lower body next day. Gives your legs a chance to rest some.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do a 5k run on the days in-between stronglifts (which always includes squatting). I've found my running pace has really improved over the last 6 months. However, I ran less than 2k home from the gym today after lifting, and my legs felt completely dead. Not something that I'll be repeating! Perhaps alternate leg weights days with cardio days.
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you're new to running, 6 days/week is not a great idea. You probably should only be running a maximum of 4 days with a day of rest in between. It takes a while for your body to adjust to running and going almost daily is probably why your knees are bothering you, Just my 2 cents.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you're new to running, 6 days/week is not a great idea. You probably should only be running a maximum of 4 days with a day of rest in between. It takes a while for your body to adjust to running and going almost daily is probably why your knees are bothering you, Just my 2 cents.

I second this. There's a reason why intro running programs give you rest days between runs. You need to give your muscles and joints a chance to recover from the impact of running. It's hard to "just take a day off", I know, but you make progress when you allow your muscles a chance to repair and regroup for the next run.

watch your knees. i was running then started doing a class with a lot of squats and all that pressure on my knees at my weight... i couldnt run for a month because my knees got ruined, and i still cant squat, lunge, or climb a lot of stairs without pain after two months.

what i am saying is... the combo was too much for me, i dont know about you but if it starts to hurt your knees stop. burn is good, pain is not.

I had a lot of issues with my knees/quads in the spring of this year and ended up in physio for it. I can't remember the exact name of the condition off the top of my head but it was basically tendentious because I over did squats, lunges, and basically all of my other leg exercises. My physio therapist gave me some exercises to help balance out the weak muscles in my legs and when we saw improvement he gave me the okay to ease back into running again. I had to prove I could do 20 minutes on the incline with zero pain before I was allowed to even think of outside. As for the squats and other things, I've been focused on running all summer so I'm only getting back into them now. Again, working slowly back into it and trying really hard not to over do it this time. (Easier said then done. :laugh: ) So, I'm not saying this is your problem but an assessment might be something to consider if you haven't already.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Its really important for runners to have core and glute muscle strength. Those that don't get hurt all the time. Google "Iron Strength Workout" its a video. Strength training for runners by a sports medicine doctor.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options

Unfortunately most people that run into this issue from my experience, ended up having injury or pain from bad form for their squats. Hopefully you can get back to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    You could alternate your days: one day running, one day weights/squats/etc.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Squatting should not hurt your knees as it did one of the previous posters. That's a form issue. If it's just muscle soreness, I'd suggest an added rest day.

I've always thought running or exercising six days a week was excessive, but that's just me. Your body gets stronger not during the activity, but as you recover from it and build new muscle.
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I agree with alternate days for your run and weight training. Some people may handle it doing both but I know I sure can't, won't make the most of my workout. Also 6 days is quite excessive if youre hitting your legs hard as well, give them a day to rest so you can make repairs. Never underestimate the power of rest days, your workouts will improve!

Goodluck
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I had a lot of issues with my knees/quads in the spring of this year and ended up in physio for it. I can't remember the exact name of the condition off the top of my head but it was basically tendentious because I over did squats, lunges, and basically all of my other leg exercises. My physio therapist gave me some exercises to help balance out the weak muscles in my legs and when we saw improvement he gave me the okay to ease back into running again. I had to prove I could do 20 minutes on the incline with zero pain before I was allowed to even think of outside. As for the squats and other things, I've been focused on running all summer so I'm only getting back into them now. Again, working slowly back into it and trying really hard not to over do it this time. (Easier said then done. :laugh: ) So, I'm not saying this is your problem but an assessment might be something to consider if you haven't already.

^^ This, I had got extensor Tendonitis, and was out running for over 1 month, its finally better with no pain. Cause of injury was from an overuse I thought Id get into running and wanted to do it everyday with my strength t, careful with your training!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

This is more likely due to improper form...squats performed with proper form do not put a lot of strain or pressure on the knees.

As to the OP's question, it really depends on your current level of fitness and conditioning. People lift weight, including squats, and run all the time. My wife is a marathon runner and squats are a normal part of her lifting routine. I cycle (don't run) and squats are a normal part of my lifting routine.

More likely, you are not accustomed to lifting and thus are experiencing soreness. Those DOMS subside somewhat as you move along and your body acclimates to lifting. You might want to consider actually sitting down and analyzing your fitness regimen as a whole though to make sure you're also getting rest and recovery....which is where the magic actually happens.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of issues with my knees/quads in the spring of this year and ended up in physio for it. I can't remember the exact name of the condition off the top of my head but it was basically tendentious because I over did squats, lunges, and basically all of my other leg exercises. My physio therapist gave me some exercises to help balance out the weak muscles in my legs and when we saw improvement he gave me the okay to ease back into running again. I had to prove I could do 20 minutes on the incline with zero pain before I was allowed to even think of outside. As for the squats and other things, I've been focused on running all summer so I'm only getting back into them now. Again, working slowly back into it and trying really hard not to over do it this time. (Easier said then done. laugh ) So, I'm not saying this is your problem but an assessment might be something to consider if you haven't already.

This is also where understanding the value of rest days and recovery comes into play...as well as following a properly programmed routine rather than just doing your own thing. Programming your own routine without the requisite knowledge often leads to muscular imbalances and over-train injuries...this issue is exacerbated when people don't understand the value of rest and recovery and think they need to workout 6-7 days per week for hours.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I always do strength training first, then cardio, especially with more risky lifts like squats, where you really don't want fatigued legs in advance of lifting heavy weights.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I do heavy lifting and high intensity cardio... no issues doing both and usually do high intensity cardio right after lifting