Just venting

Options
Last year I busted *kitten* and lost close to 30 lbs in just a few months. Due to life situations that arose, I've gained all of it back plus some. About a month ago, I decided that I need to be in control of my eating again and have been working out consistently 5-6 days a week. Mostly cardio but I do throw in a small amount of strength training every day (low weight high reps) and my muscles are definitely sore the next day so I know they are being worked. I've logged everything I've been eating and I know I below my calorie goal but I honestly CANNOT eat any more and I drink more than half of my body weight in water every day. Because everything is fruits, veggies, lean protein, and complex carbs (never for dinner) I find it difficult to meet my calories. As of today, I have yet to lose A SINGLE POUND and have only lost half an inch here and there. I appreciate any kind words or advice, and thanks for letting me vent my frustration…..the husband just doesn't understand.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    My guess is your eating more than you think. Most people's logging can do with some tightening up. Are you weighing all solid foods? Measuring all liquids? Picking accurate entries from the database?

The link below will help with double checking your logging and the link below that is the general MFP one with lost of useful advice Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    First of all, BREATHE. You've done this before, you can do it again. It's not a race, even though it feels like now that you've started things should be happening dang it! I know this feeling.

A few things:

1. Can you open your diary? If you're willing to do that, you can get more specific feedback on what you're eating and how accurately you're logging.

2. Speaking of accurate logging, is it possible that you need to tighten that up? If you're not using a food scale, it's possible you're overestimating your calories.

3. Do you have any medical issues (PCOS, hypothyroidism, diabetes) that could affect your progress?

4. Did you just start this exercise program? Do you eat a lot of sodium? These can cause you to retain several pounds of water.

Relax and take things slowly. You'll work this out and be on track before you know it. Remember this is a lifestyle change, not a race to get to a certain number. (Also, losing inches is much better than losing pounds)

:smile:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    My guess is your eating more than you think. Most people's logging can do with some tightening up. Are you weighing all solid foods? Measuring all liquids? Picking accurate entries from the database?

The link below will help with double checking your logging and the link below that is the general MFP one with lost of useful advice Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594

All of this. Your first line needs to be making sure you are eating and logging correctly. Because, unfortunately, no matter how great your training is - you will never outrun your diet.

Good luck.

ETA: Being on the yo yo of losing and gaining is a no win situation. Each time will get harder. Whatever changes you make to your diet and training have to be long term. Make that your first decision. To do this for your health is the only way you can make the changes stick.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    1) You aren't correctly counting the calories you are taking in
    2) Watch your sodium in take as a high sodium diet will cause you to retain water
    3) Be consistent and determined. Don't go out to eat because you CANNOT know what/how they prepare your food. (Ie, cooking with butter, oil, etc.) That all adds calories, etc.

Losing weight is extremely easy... Take in LESS calories than you burn and you will lose weight. So if you are not losing weight you are taking in as many or more calories than you burn. Plain and simple.

Good luck.
    Mark
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You're losing inches - this is more accurate than the scales. So you ARE losing. Don't give up hope, just make sure you weigh your food and drink plenty of water. A month is not a very long time to see any sort of result. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

3) Be consistent and determined. Don't go out to eat because you CANNOT know what/how they prepare your food. (Ie, cooking with butter, oil, etc.) That all adds calories, etc.

Going out to eat is not a reason for failure. You estimate as best you can. You budget your calories for the week. If you stop living a normal life by being so restrictive - you will fail. It may not be today - but no one can go their whole lives without going out to eat.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I go out to eat frequently, and haven't had an issue with losing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure no living organism needs that much water. You're probably carrying 10lbs of water at any given time.
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It can be easy to meet your calories while eating healthy foods. Add in some healthy fats to your cooking- cook or roast the veggies in olive oil, have avocado in an omelette or sandwich, have nuts as a snack, add cheese to a salad (goat, feta, blue), have peanut butter on a banana. Your body needs healthy fats, and you need to hit your calorie goals especially when exercising. (I know that eating back exercise calories is a hot topic here, I am not going to get in that fight - but if you are exercising you should be hitting your minimum calorie goals for the day.)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

If you're strict with your logging at home (weighing and measuring and entering everything), then a little estimation on a weekly night out probably won't hurt. It's really a matter of finding a balance that works, but if you're not losing then tighten it up. If you are losing, then enjoy. I think the problem falls into the what is a moderate estimate for one person is way off for another, and it takes time for most of us to learn portion control.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

But she is having an issue with it. She isn't losing. I go out to eat all the time. But I watch exactly what I eat, I ask how things are prepared and I am very careful if I gain not to make those same choices again. For someone starting over and struggling to lose the weight I recommend they start off knowing EXACTLY how many calories everything has. Once the weight starts falling off they can loosen up a little.

Wouldn't you agree?

Mark
  • paschkes
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I think the best thing for me to do is weigh everything just to be sure I'm counting calories correctly. Eating out isn't my problem since we rarely eat out and when we do I'm that crazy lady who asks how everything is cooked. :) My darling husband reminded me that when I lost weight last year, I had the same episode of sobbing over not losing weight right away (I must have blacked this out of my memory as I have NO recollection) and that because I kept to it, I eventually started losing. Therefore I WILL NOT give up hope and continue exercising 5-6 days a week, logging my food, and not beating myself up if I do have a cheat meal every so often. I'm so glad to have found this website and that it is filled with people who have been through the same situations that I struggle with and have helpful advice to lead me on the correct path. Thanks again!
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! When the scale isn't moving for me I try to set another short term goal, like 10 extra minutes on the treadmill.

At least I feel like I am doing something even though the scale isn't showing it yet.

My loss was slow in the beginning too.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Don't overdo the water, it can do harm if taken to extreme, 2 litres a day is enough.