Starvation mode is a myth!

Options
12345679»

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Let's raise the discussion. Why SHOULD we eat breakfast?

I eat breakfast because I'm hungry. shrug.gif
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    zombie_bump.jpg

This thread is from May.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hey it's Steve from the University of One Textbook! I thought that Guyton was the only book for you?
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Hey it's Steve from the University of One Textbook! I thought that Guyton was the only book for you?

Hagan works off Guyton.

Nothing Hagan writes about is contrary to what Guyton states or implies.

You have to read Guyton to understand the subtle points in Hagan's book.

Guyton is very readable, by the way. The serious fitness buff or weight-control person shouold download a copy. It is not the most recent edition, however, but there are no major changes.

And remind me Steve, where did you go to school to gain all this vast knowledge again?
  • TheSheepFollower
    TheSheepFollower Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you eat less than 1200 calories a day will you magically store fat and not lose weight? No, is it healthiest way to do it? Maybe not,
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the OP about the actual starvation mode point.

However, when I was a stupid desperate fat girl about a year ago I ate about 700-800 calories per day thinking that if I kept it up for a few weeks I'd lose weight. I carried it on for about 3-4 weeks before I gave up due to being starving (excuse the pun). I "lost" 7 or 8 lbs (seems a little steep and suspicious for just 3 or 4 weeks no?)hut I looked no different (I wasn't actually properly fat, just getting a little chubby at 145 lbs, so that little weight on me should have shown somewhere). I started eating normally again, and normally being 1400 calories or so per day so nothing excessive, and within about 4 days those 8 lbs had come right back on again.

I'm no expert, but I'd say 2 lbs weight gain per day with eating maximum 1400 calories means I obviously never lost any real weight in the first place. Obviously if people don't eat much for long periods of time they lose weight, just because…they do. Holocaust victims hardly got food and were stick thin, anorexia sufferers don't eat much/at all and they can get dangerously skinny. THATS real starvation. That's like 200 calories.

When I started eating 1200-1300 to lose some weight in June this year, I lost 8 lbs within a few weeks yet again. This time, I'd lost fat and you could see it in my face, my arms, my legs and my stomach and I started receiving compliments from people who were noticing.

I genuinely just think my body was just losing some water weight, maybe about 1 lb of fat, and as soon as I got some food in me it clung for dear life onto each and every bite. Either way, I'm no diet expert and I don't know the science behind it, but I just know it did not work for me.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    The orriginal post actually makes me feel a bit better. My Doctor put me on a 1000cal diet and I was concerned because of all of the hype I read about 1200 minimum. It is difficult and I try to keep it around 1000-1200 a day, but I've actually started to lose a little bit of weight.

Good luck with that. I think I would shoot myself (or others) on 1000 cals/day...I'm at 1600 and wake up REALLY hungry and have to fight the munchies at night. I'm trying to start "retraining" myself to make my meals a bit smaller and add in more healthy snacks between meals...keep my blood sugar at a more consistent rate...to see if that helps with the hunger pangs. I'm never losing more than 2 pounds a week (at most) so I don't think my target is too low...but my losing has slowed down as of late (although this week was almost 2 again so maybe it was just a temporary plateau....)
  • ell_23
    ell_23 Posts: 103
    Options
    Double posted by accident
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I bet your dad works for general mills.

Let's raise the discussion. Why SHOULD we eat breakfast?

Start up the metabolic machinery, perhaps?

It's easy to be a hater.

Show us what you believe.
    My dad works for general mills? What's wrong with you?

Not sure where I claimed you should eat breakfast. I say eat it if you want. You claim in your book eating breakfast makes us fat and we can't lose weight if we eat breakfast, which is absurd.

Do you realize how pathetic you look promoting your book every post, with your picture on your profile but refusing to admit it's you.

Well, clearly you are on this board for fitness reasons.

And that's OK.

But most are here because of weight issues. They are here because they have not gotten any answers that make sense to them anywhere else, or that are insulting to them, or assumes that gaining weight is their fault.

Most have failed program after program.

That is who I am posting for.

Maybe you are pushing your own approach to weight loss. If so, let's hear it.

Otherwise, instead of crypto-ad hominem attacks on me, show me the EVIDENCE to prove me, and Hagan, wrong.

Have some respect for those who read these boards looking for information.
    My own approach? Caloric deficit, target macros, exercise, lose weight. No book needed.

I'm showing them respect by letting them know your book isn't necessary and neither is the whole skip breakfast or else you can't lose weight nonsense.

There is a book on How to lose weight. I never heard of this book. It must not work.
  • RommelMathew
    RommelMathew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The weight loss from VLCD is not from losing fat but actually muscle tissue loss which is very bad for the body. Good point on the water retention part though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    The weight loss from VLCD is not from losing fat but actually muscle tissue loss which is very bad for the body. Good point on the water retention part though.
    Weight loss is primarily from body fat because it's easy for the body, and that's the way nature intended it to be.....easy. With very low body fat, nature says, hey you idiot, can't you hunt properly and preserves the last of your body fat so you can survive another day because fat is essential to do that, and lean mass conversion to energy helps maintain those low levels of body fat. That's starvation mode, which is never the case when someone is overweight or obese, never. :bigsmile:
  • moulding55
    moulding55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As the OP, I am blown away by the responses and have learned so much from all of them! I so appreciate the support! Thank you!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    moulding55 wrote: »
    As the OP, I am blown away by the responses and have learned so much from all of them! I so appreciate the support! Thank you!!

Wait, what, @moulding55? Did you mean to post on this thread, or on your thread here, where this one was linked:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10914059/calorie-deficit-vs-starvation-mode

I'm not sure the OP of this thread, @vismal (male), is around here any more.

I 100% understand that this software environment can be very confusing. (BoyOhBoy, do I!) If you really are vismal, it's great that you're back. But if you meant to post as an update on that other thread, I'm sure people who comment there would appreciate your very kind comment if they see it. :flowerforyou: