Water Drinking Question

Options

Replies

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Since dining hall food is high in sodium, it's difficult to escape that. I guess I need to try drinking more water. I'll do my best to overcome the sick feeling.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Dehydration can cause low blood volume which causes your heart to work harder than needed to get the blood and oxygen around your body. Low blood volume often causes low blood pressure when you stand up. That drop In Blood pressure will cause dizziness and sometimes cause you to completely black out.

Thirst isn't the only sign you need water. I fact if you ignore that signal long enough your brain will stop recognizing it completely. Kinda like hunger cues in people with eating disorders.

Really?! If this is true it is the single most interesting thing I've learned on MFP. Although water doesn't make me feel "gross", I also hardly drink any during the day because I'm a) busy and b) not thirsty. I also have very low blood pressure and get dizzy when I stand up. I had no idea the two may be related. *off to research*
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    also sometimes your body gives the wrong signal. Sometimes when you feel hungry it's actually because you're thirsty. My doctor told me that a few years back and I've found it's true.
  • kangaroux92
    kangaroux92 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i also hate drinking liquids . everyone always makes fun of me because whenever i get any drink in drink like a quarter of it. i probably drink about 3-4 8oz cups on days i work out and 1-2 on days i dont. for me its enough i never really get thirsty and i dont have fainting spells or low blood pressure. i would say try to get at least 16 oz in a day and i think you'll be ok. before i started all this i could go all day without drinking a thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,949 Member
    Options
    I don't drink water very often, almost never and I'm still alive and functioning properly.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If your body works properly and you don't have any mental condition affecting intake, you can rely on your sense of thirst to tell you how much water to drink.

F you're passing out and have low blood pressure, it would indicate that something is off with your body, so you should consult a doctor.

Good luck.
  • RussellG67
    RussellG67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with dehydration my whole life, including several fainting spells and low blood pressure, but now I just avoid outdoor activities.

Am I getting this all wrong? Will drinking more water help me lose weight?

Based on your words you need more water. Hydration is important to your health.

Drinking water does fill you up so you are less hungry and more able to stick to proper food intake.

Also if you drink cold water you will burn calories to heat your body back up. If you do the 1/2 oz per day of body weight and the water is cold you will burn over a 100 calories extra a day for your body to try to heat itself back up. (of course that's based on a 200lb person so it could be more or less and this was an average thing. I saw that in an article but I can't recall the source sorry.

EDIT: And yes see a doctor if you are having those issues. could be other things going on.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I hate plain water. So I add no added sugar squash to it and have it hot.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Get your water through homemade popsicles. I had issues getting my youngest to stay hydrated during a stretch of about 6 months. I got water and flavored it with a little 100% fruit juice and made popsicles. I had him eat several a day to stay hydrated. All of the sudden, he started liking water again and I could lay off the frozen treats.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    People always say that your body will tell you when it needs water...

Yeah, that's why you have low blood pressure and fainting spells.

If you drank more water your blood pressure would increase to a normal level and you would not have those fainting spells.

Sheesh... shaking my head.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of vegetables and I HATE soup. So no, not really. People always say that your body will tell you when it needs water, but I'm never thirsty. When I do drink water, it just feels unpleasant.
    I have had issues with dehydration my whole life, including several fainting spells and low blood pressure,

Sounds like your body is telling you to drink more water.
  • elinegri
    elinegri Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with water consumption especially if you drink more than 2L (67oz) of water daily.
    Your personal water intake is always going to be personal and different to everybody else's.

Now I was like everybody else who thought drinking water everyday was healthy and my body needed it, but I found by only drinking 1L of extra water daily was making me feel weak, and I needed to constantly urinate. TMI I know but it was true. I went to the doctor and told her all of this and she even conducted a urine sample and her final conclusion was that I DIDN'T NEED TO BE DRINKING EXTRA WATER. Because I was never thirsty, I drank soup everyday and my main source of breakfast was a smoothie she says I saw drinking too much water and actually putting my kidneys in danger because of the overuse they had to endure.

All I can recommend is:
    - Only drink extra water when you are exercising or thirsty
    - Add all other sources of water (soups, smoothies, drinks) into your daily water intake
    - Dehydration is rare and usually only affects those who exercise often
  • elinegri
    Options
  • elinegri
    Options
    I don't eat a ton of vegetables and I HATE soup. So no, not really. People always say that your body will tell you when it needs water, but I'm never thirsty. When I do drink water, it just feels unpleasant.
    I have had issues with dehydration my whole life, including several fainting spells and low blood pressure,

Actually fainting spells and low blood pressure can also be a symptom of drinking TOO much water. I fainted and was taken to the hospital once, and they claimed I had drunk so much water I had diluted my salt stores too much to function. And all I had drank was 2L of water in a day.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Actually fainting spells and low blood pressure can also be a symptom of drinking TOO much water. I fainted and was taken to the hospital once, and they claimed I had drunk so much water I had diluted my salt stores too much to function. And all I had drank was 2L of water in a day.

OP says she's dehydrated.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    So you KNOW you're dehydrated, KNOW you pass out and your question is will water help you lose weight?? It will help lower your sodium, which makes you retain water.
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    If nothing else convinces you to drink water......maybe this will....

Picture yourself at 50. Look at the faces of 50 yo women (unchanged by surgery). You will see a wide variation of wrinkles, from almost none to very deep with sagging skin. The difference (when you take out special genetic exceptions) comes from who drank water and who didn't.

You may not care when you are in your 20s, but take my word for it....it will make a difference when you are in your 50s. :)
  • julieshul
    julieshul Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wasn't drinking enough water to lose weight, and then I heard about Count Me Healthy bracelets. They are pretty expensive, but look like regular, nice jewelry and have little beads that you move from one side to the other as you count whatever you're counting! I move a bead every time I finish my 22 oz. water bottle, and it's nice to not have to pull out my phone every time this happens.

I love it and totally recommend it. (You could do the same thing with a simple beaded bracelet for a lot less money, too...)
  • zyg65
    zyg65 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Its 2L of fluids a day and 20% of that is expected to come from food.
    It cna help with loss by supressing appetite, but im more bothered about assisting your bodies functions.

Apparently

1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids.
    2. Water Can Help Control Calories.
    3. Water Helps Energize Muscles
    4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good.
    5. Water Helps Your Kidneys.
    6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function.

I probably dont always drink 2l, but its 2l of fluid so tea and coffee count. Juices etc.

Btw MFP isnt just about weight loss, it also includes nutrition, fitness and a healthy lifestyle. You sure are coming up with some challenging questions. Like the reason to lift weights. Just look at the people who have done what you want to do and listen to how they got there.

This is the only advice I've seen in this thread that is worth listening to.

No, water isn't going to magically make you lose weight. It's not going to somehow stimulate you to pee out calories or fat or anything else. If you're peeing at all, you're removing the waste from your body well enough.

On the other hand - yes, passing out is not normal. Yes, you do need to drink more water.

The 8 cups a day recommendation on the tracker originally comes from a study done around the 40s where it was shown that 8 cups of fluid would be necessary to burn an average number of maintenance calories. However, people have since taken this study to mean you must drink 8 cups of water alone. What it actually means is fluid from all sources: food, coffee/tea, juice, soda, sports drinks... whatever. And a recent study found that, including all of these sources, the average American drinks 14 cups of fluid per day.

Next time, you should google things like this and find out for yourself. People on these forums have some very strange - even superstitious - ideas.

Losing weight isn't magic. There is no silver bullet. Calories out > calories in = lose weight.
  • Water does in fact help you lose weight, I normally drink a gallow a day, It helps keep me full, I add fruits and veggies to keep from having that bland taste and also because fruit infused waters aid in inch lose weight loss, digestion, skin purifiying, etc, because it is all natural. Drinking water is alot better than drinking sports drinks which contain alot of sugar.