Funny supportive things people have said

Options
My partner Chris is very supportive of my weight loss even though he loves me just the way I am. He understands my need to feel better about myself and helps me in any way he can.

I see a lot of posts about unsupportive partners sabotaging weight loss efforts so I thought it would be nice to lighten it up a little bit. For every unsupportive, nasty comment made by partners, there has to be partners out there who are great supporters and motivators.
So here is my list of things that Chris has said to me that was meant to be supportive and helpful but came out sooooooo wrong, it made me laugh.

1. Snuggled up on the sofa watching TV, he rubs his hands up my arm and stops when he gets to my “bingo wings” and proceeds to tell me that my arms are getting tighter, they don’t jiggle about as much.

2. After seeing a program about people whose weight loss has ruined their relationships, he tells me that it will never happen to us because he is excited to see what I look like slimmer (I was overweight when we met 5 years ago).

3. I recently bought a jumpsuit for a party and when I was trying it on, he comes into the bedroom and says “Ohhhh that does not look silly at all” and when I laughed and jokingly said “OH THANKS!!” He said “Well some people do look silly in them and I thought I would tell you that you don’t because I know you and your confidence are not always friends!!”

4. We went walking a couple of weeks ago and in all we walked 10 miles up and down hills. After about 8 miles Chris looks at me and says “Your fitter than you used to be, last year you would be on the floor needing medical help by now!!”

Replies

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    We were running a 5k and whatsisface, my boyfriend, said "you're sprinting faster than you used to. I'm having a hard time trouncing you."
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    He said “Well some people do look silly in them and I thought I would tell you that you don’t because I know you and your confidence are not always friends!!”

No matter how wrong his words keep coming out, THIS right here is pure gold. He sounds like a great guy, and obviously is trying to build you up and strengthen your self-confidence. I like your guy :)

My husband supports me and teases me and I think waffles a bit on whether he's happy for me or not, since The Girls are shrinking too LOL So far, no nuggets of gold, but I will share if I think of any!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    my hubby slapped me in the rear (playfully) recently and commented " Your *kitten* is half the size it used to be! I have to aim now!"

um... thanks... I think. lol
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    "Wow, you are not nearly the fat *kitten* you used to be..."

I took that as motivational.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    Two days ago my boyfriend and I were moving a 120 gallon aquarium. A male acquaintance offered to take my side and my boyfriend blurted out "she's in the gym 3-4 times a week lifting weights. She's fitter than I am!" :bigsmile:

Maybe not all that funny, but I certainly appreciated it.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My hubby said "When you lose, I win" - meaning "you will be around longer if you are healthy" :-)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

3. I recently bought a jumpsuit for a party and when I was trying it on, he comes into the bedroom and says “Ohhhh that does not look silly at all” and when I laughed and jokingly said “OH THANKS!!” He said “Well some people do look silly in them..."

That totally sounds like my husband!!

He's super awesome & supportive and always tells me I look great, even when we met and I was about 100 lb heavier than I am now. He does admit to me that he thinks I always looked good and now I just look way smaller, and good. But he says that he doesn't really grasp what other people are saying when they freak out, don't recognize me, etc. For me it's nice to have someone else who says that because I feel the same way about myself...like I've just gotten a lot smaller but do not look freakishly different!

But I think the best so far (and kind of funny) was when I jokingly called myself fat and he said in this laughing and semi annoyed way, "Please, you're not even that fat.."...it sounds awful probably but you would have to know that I am NOT the kind of person to downtalk myself ever, even at my heaviest and I never made cracks at my own expense regarding weight...and my husband's the type to think fat = not a problem (VERY body positive for all people). So coming from him that was just so honest and funny.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is about four inches shorter and 80lbs lighter than I am currently, so sometimes I feel like a giant. But lately he's taken to hugging me from behind and over the weekend while lsightly tipsy, he jammed his hands into what is now a very defined curve and indent above my hips (which tickles like all get out) and said:
    "You're melting away!"

Uhhhhm. Thanks, hun. I hardly think I'm disappearing that quickly, but it felt nice to hear, even if it was weird haha.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    LOL, I can't think of examples right now, but my guy is just like that too. Trying to say something kind but it just comes out a little wrong. :) It's really sweet.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Many are probably inappropriate so I won't repeat but hubby has mentioned my muscles showing in my arms and legs, he never expected that. I still have my "bat wings" which you used to love jiggling, he told me a few weeks ago there isn't much to jiggle there anymore and now he's afraid if I throw a punch it might hurt. LOL
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    my hubby slapped me in the rear (playfully) recently and commented " Your *kitten* is half the size it used to be! I have to aim now!"

um... thanks... I think. lol

Lol. I would take this as a huge compliment =)
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Put on a new running top, one of the warmer ones that's fitted the other day and my 8 year old says " hey mom, you're not fat at all anymore!" Not my SO, but still significant and welcome:smile:
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Looking at my now-flat butt, my husband said, "Wow, you have literally worked your *kitten* off."
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Put on a new running top, one of the warmer ones that's fitted the other day and my 8 year old says " hey mom, you're not fat at all anymore!" Not my SO, but still significant and welcome:smile:

Well children do say it as they see it =)
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    Looking at my now-flat butt, my husband said, "Wow, you have literally worked your *kitten* off."

:happy:
  • DMRinehardt
    Options
    I was only 105 lbs when I met my hubby (size 2). I am now 13x ish and size 8. I told him that I hated the weight gain and he says, "Oh yeah, I should complain that you now have titties and an *kitten*! ooooooooo! No guy would complain!" LOL He supports my weight loss goals, but says he'll take my body either way. He is always reminding me that my current weight is NOT a problem for him. :)
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    My dad told me the other day "Wow, look at you! That back fat is almost all gone!"

My mom told me back in June "You're looking good and doing great with this. I honestly didn't think you could do this but look at you! Keep it up!"
  • Chezzie84
    Options
    I was only 105 lbs when I met my hubby (size 2). I am now 13x ish and size 8. I told him that I hated the weight gain and he says, "Oh yeah, I should complain that you now have titties and an *kitten*! ooooooooo! No guy would complain!" LOL He supports my weight loss goals, but says he'll take my body either way. He is always reminding me that my current weight is NOT a problem for him. :)

I agree he should be complaining lol
    All that extra fun =)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    One of my friends introduced me to a new coworker. My friend mentioned my weight loss and said "You should SEE the before pictures!" It made me laugh.
  • da_pingwin
    da_pingwin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some co-workers harassed me.. "WTF are you taking man? You're on something and we know it, just wtf are you taking cause we want it too!" Really it's just MFP and running :/