Do you have to eat the Calories from your exercise?

Options
I have been a member for 3 weeks now. I have been exercising and adding it to the log but not then eating extra calories in place of the ones gained from exercise. I am now wondering if this is ok as i have only lost 1.5lb since starting. I do not use the calories burned from exercsie i am only eating my 1,200 calories max a day.

I am also over my protein on a few occasions could this be a reason for low weight loss.

I know slow and gradual is good but it's still nice to see bigger results....help please!!!

Replies

• sexylonglegs
    Options
    you can't eat less than 1200.
    you must eat your exercise calories.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Being over on protein is typically a good thing.

Check your sodium and make sure you're drinking enough water.

If that's not working, then try eating your exercise calories for a couple of weeks and see if the stall is over. No one forces you to do anything here so you don't "have" to eat them, but since it helps a lot of people lose, there's a good chance that you'll "want" to.
  • CassieH818
    CassieH818 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Most people would say, Yes, eat your exercise calories, but see what works best for your body. Eat them one week and see how it affects you on the scale and go from there!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    1200 NET calories. (its a number listed on your homepage in the summary box to the right hand side)
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    Eating back my exercise calories has worked for me, and I'm at a larger calorie goal than you (1640) to begin with, so that means I'm consuming anywhere between 1600-1900 calories on a given day. I'm down 10.5 lbs so far since 1/3/11.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are!!!! I will say from experience that I am beginning to believe you do have to eat those extra calories. I eat only 1200 per day and they are 1200 VERY healthy calories. Last week I burned 2600 calories and I actually gained a pound!!! I am beginning to believe the ideas about your body going into starvation mode. It worked when I was younger, but as you get older and your metabolism changes it just insn't the same! I don't think, however, that I will eat ALL of the extra calories, but maybe change from 1200 per day to 1500. I don't know. . .just experiment and see what works best, but 1.5 pounds is a healhty amount to lose so keep up the good work!
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    answer = yes.
  • Tia76
    Tia76 Posts: 2
    Options
    You may want to eat a few more calories a day as a whole or at least your exercise cals. If you don't take in enough your body goes into shut down mode and wont let the weight go. It is also hard to keep up the lifestyle on too few cals. Thats just what I have read. Good Luck!!!:happy: :happy:
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I eat mine within 200 calories of my net calories and am down 9 lbs in 3 weeks so yes for me it works. I leave around 200 extra to make up for any miscalculations, I also do very intense exercise burning up to 1000 cals a day, 6 days/week leaving me some wiggle room. Everyone is different and it takes a while playing with the numbers to see what works for you. Good luck!!
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I personally only eat up to 200 of my exercise calories back. Since my BMR is 1500 and my intake is 1200, that 300 calorie deficit would only cause a 1/2 pound loss per week. Not eating them back has worked for me. I typically burn 1,000 calories per day 5x a week that way I can lose about 2 lbs per week.
  • Charlea1981
    Charlea1981 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back the calories that I gained from exercise! For me it would be impossible, for instance, I burned 945 calories last night and I returned home from the gym at 6.30pm, I then had my dinner. I could not consume all of those calories before bed, as this would result in weight gain! Alternatively, maybe you mean eat them at the end of the week?

I know with weight watchers you could earn points and then save them up but you had to eat them!! Weight watchers worked for me too!

Since joining MFP I lost 3lbs in the 1st week and I have only been losing 1lb a week since which is frustrating, 5lbs in total. I believe my problem is that I am not drinking enough water.

The questions I would ask myself is

Am I drinking enough water?
    Am I being completely honest about the things I eat?
    Am I logging everything I eat?
    Am I eating 1,200 a day and not less?
    Am I exercising enough?

Good luck with your next weigh in Hun I am sure you will be fine!!!
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    my biggest concern with eating exercise calories, like Charlea mentioned, are you using a digital food scale to weigh your food? Are you using a hrm to count your calories or do you use the numbers on mfp or on the machines at the gym? There is about a 10% error up or down on the machines. I try not to eat back every single calorie because you might be doing yourself an injustice if you have miscalculated somewhere either from the machines or from your food portions.
    I hope this helps.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can't address the "should you eat back your calories" without the "can we accurately estimate calories burned during activity and exercise" question.

Empirically, there is data that suggests that cutting net calories too severely can have a negative impact on fat loss, so the general rule of thumb is to "replace those exercise calories".

And, empirically, that might be true. But, in reality, most of us only have a rough approximation of what we are burning during activity and exercise. In addition, there are errors in calculating our energy intake. A lot of the accounts I see here of calories burned during exercise are greatly exaggerated.

A number of research studies have shown that when people reduce their calorie intake and/or start an exercise program, they decrease their overall daily activity.

So, if an individual overestimates calories burned during exercise, reduces total daily activity, and then consistently eats back all of their exercise calories.....well, I think you can see where this will lead.

Conversely, those who say they only eat back a portion of their workout calories are likely undercounting their activity.

So while someone might assert, with scientific evidence, that one MUST eat back all of their exercise calories, in reality, there is almost no way of keeping that accurate a measurement.

Which means that, in practical terms, there is no absolute answer. Whatever plan you use, you need to pay attention to the changes happening in your body and be flexible enough to change your "ideology" in the face of new facts.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    You can't address the "should you eat back your calories" without the "can we accurately estimate calories burned during activity and exercise" question.

Empirically, there is data that suggests that cutting net calories too severely can have a negative impact on fat loss, so the general rule of thumb is to "replace those exercise calories".

And, empirically, that might be true. But, in reality, most of us only have a rough approximation of what we are burning during activity and exercise. In addition, there are errors in calculating our energy intake. A lot of the accounts I see here of calories burned during exercise are greatly exaggerated.

A number of research studies have shown that when people reduce their calorie intake and/or start an exercise program, they decrease their overall daily activity.

So, if an individual overestimates calories burned during exercise, reduces total daily activity, and then consistently eats back all of their exercise calories.....well, I think you can see where this will lead.

Conversely, those who say they only eat back a portion of their workout calories are likely undercounting their activity.

So while someone might assert, with scientific evidence, that one MUST eat back all of their exercise calories, in reality, there is almost no way of keeping that accurate a measurement.

Which means that, in practical terms, there is no absolute answer. Whatever plan you use, you need to pay attention to the changes happening in your body and be flexible enough to change your "ideology" in the face of new facts.

Agreed. Plus, this might be helpful to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

Hope that helps!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options

Agreed. Plus, this might be helpful to you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/myth-or-fact-calories-in-versus-calories-out-3500-calories-one-pound-and-should-i-eat-my-exercise-calories-62012

Hope that helps!

I "third" this!! It's just not an exact science.

Then there is the often unaddressed issue of what does your diet REALLY look like? A lot of people are struggling to lose weight, yet their diets, while they may be better than what they were in terms of types of food and overall calories, are still lacking from a nutritional perspective. And your diet is the single most important aspect of weight loss!! Days I eat really well, I eat less caloriewise, and I am a lot more satisfied. Other days, when I don't eat so well, I can definitely tell in terms of my hunger level.

I gained some weight this past year and one of the things I started doing was eating my exercise calories. So I went back to my sweet spot of 1400-1600 cals, and the weight is coming back off.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Hope that helps!

Your blog is nicely written. I ran into Dr Hall's research about 18 mos ago and actually have one of his studies describing his model. I never got the time to go back and dissect it enough to write a cogent summary, but I have used the general theory ever since.

His research is another reason why I have problems with the gross overuse of the term (and concept of) "starvation mode".

IMO, the psychological reinforcement and motivation that an obese person might get from seeing more rapid weight loss can in some cases offset the transient negative effects of a lower-calorie diet. And those effects can usually be reversed. The concern is that such a person would need guidance to know when to change their strategy as their body composition changed.

I know in my case, one of the things that originally kept me from feeling motivated to start my program was the idea that it would take a year or more to come close to my goal. (Ultimately what got me going was some adverse blood lab results). As it turned out, I ended up losing an average of almost 4lb/wk for the first 8 weeks. (I didn't go super low calorie--more like 1400-1800/day, but I burned a high number of cals in exercise and activity--and did not eat much of that back). From what I could tell, there were no adverse metabolic effects, but, even if there were, I would gladly have traded that for the reinforcement of the more rapid weight loss. And, if there were, they resolved quickly after I switched to my "maintenance" plan.

As others have said, I think there are different approaches for different people and we should be careful about the casual use of fitness "cliches".
  • Charlea1981
    Charlea1981 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree Portion size maybe a cause for concern!!

But please measure yourself, again I was disheartened with my measly 5lbs over 3 weeks but I measured myself yesterday and I have lost 2 inches off my waist and stomach.
  • PE169
    PE169 Posts: 12
    Options
    ok guys thank you soooooo much for all of your advice. it seems everyone is different and i need to just assess my situation and try a different strategy and see what happens.

thank you for taking the time to answer my question and it is good to hear others opinions and advice.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You're doing your metabolism a great injustice by eating so few calories and then burning even more.