Food Guilt...

Options
Recently, I have adopted a more "long-term" way of eating to work on hitting goal weight. I have switched from an 800-900 calorie diet of packets and shakes to eating the calories that MFP tells me that I need to lose 2 pounds per week, and am aiming for 40-30-30 (carbs, fat, protein) macros.

Today, I had a lovely breakfast (400 calories) of:
1 Light Whole Wheat English Muffin
1 Tbsp light whipped butter
1 organic egg
2 pieces organic nitrate free bacon
3/4 cup low carb high protein fat-free milk
coffee
2oz sliced strawberries
50g raspberries

It was delicious. Now, some 2 hours later...I sit at my desk totally full. Full in a way that I associate with being NOT on a diet. I am so used to feeling hungry, shaky, and grumpy b/c I am on a "diet"...that feeling full and satisfied and eating food I actually enjoy ( ie: CARBS) makes me feel SO bad about myself...as if I have thrown in the towel and given up.

I realize this probably makes me sound bonkers...and I hadn't quite realized until today that I so strongly felt this way about "good" and "bad" food.

Anyone else struggled with this? If so, what actions did you to take to begin allowing yourself permissions to enjoy your food, eat a varied diet ( including some healthy and non "healthy" carbs...:ie ice cream, chocolate or chips) as long as it was well tracked and accounted for?

In case it matters...
I am 5'9...have about 60ish more pounds to lose and am given 1500 calories per day in which I eat 3 main meals of 400 calories, and 2 150 calorie snacks. 40-30-30 macros.

My current goal is to burn 2000 calories per week and I do this with Zumba workouts ( twice per week) and 2-3 elliptical /treadmill sessions with about 20 minutes of VERY basic resistance training using the weight machines at the gym.

Replies

• fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump...?
  • Jade_Lee
    Options
    I can really relate to this....bread and potato used to be the enemy for me. In fact I went paleo for quite a while and cut out all diary, grains, alcohol and legumes.

I think once you become more accepting of who you are, the food guilt just drops away. I has porridge for breakfast with a little milk and blueberries and a chicken and pea pasta for lunch, I don't feel guilty at all. I go hard at work and even harder at the gym, my body needs these carbs to fuel me.

With 18lbs lost it obviously works, your evidence : )
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    You are right you have to enjoy what you're eating to sustain it long term! Congrats on your progress! If you are within healthy macros you should be able to enjoy treats in a reasonable way. Good luck on your goals. You can add me if you'd like.
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think it's difficult for everyone to get used to a new way of eating when you've been doing something different all along. I had something similar happen to me when I was working on my binge eating. Whenever I'd eat a healthy portion of a food I used to binge on like cheese and crackers or cereal, I'd still feel guilt and shame stemming from overeating even though I wasn't overeating. It just took time and repeating to myself that it's not the food that's harmful or bad, it's my lingering perceptions of that food being bad. I'd also feel guilty for feeling a normal fullness because I had a hard time distinquishing too full from just right.

I think it will just take time, sticking with it, and eventually seeing the results of your hard work.

Also, maybe since you were eating so few calories before, a goal of yours could be to slowly reach 1400. Start wtih 1200 and work your way up.
  • ChrisCross0
    Options
    I hope no one minds me chiming in.

Now, I am only starting down the this road of fitness, and so what ever I say should be taken with a pinch of salt and shot of tequila. But it seems to be that you have no reason to be guilty.

Granted, in the past couple of months, I have felt the same. There seems to me to be a satiation that comes with eating a 'proper' meal of decent quality foods. A fullness that one doesn't always expect.

When one goes on a “diet” there seems to be some switch in the head, which I think is induced by a cultural perception of unfed equates to healthy, that one must starve themselves of the vital requirements of the body. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. The goal, for some, is that one must restrict, instead of flourish.

This is one reason that I would never call my own journey a “diet”. Instead, I am simply trying to eat healthier. Trying to forge my body into my ideal. Trying to live fuller. “Diets” are temporary, and for, in my mind, those who are myopic. What I'm doing is investing in the future.

As for treating oneself? By all means. Most 'bad' foods do have some positive effects on the body, if simply to temporarily elevate the mood. Every one needs a little soul food every so often. The trick is not relying upon them. And trying to find healthier alternatives. Example: I LOVE bell peppers. There is nothing quite like that crisp juicy crunch and gentle cool flavor of fresh bell pepper. Seriously. I eat them like apples. Strawberries are another great mood food. Who can possibly feel bad after eating a fresh strawberry?

Guilt though... guilt is difficult. But it seems, to me, that guilt is no motivator. Instead, for me, in only inhibits. It makes me think, 'I screwed up. I failed. Why bother trying.'.

I wish I could tell you some trick to stop feeling guilty... but I don't know one, save maybe, this: Guilt is your enemy. Instead of allowing it to guide you, abolish it in its tracks. Instead of guilt, simply acknowledge room for growth. Instead of 'I screwed up.' tell yourself, 'I will do better.' And then find the area in which you need to improve.

To make a long story short (too late): Invest in the future, don't be too hard on yourself, and always strive to improve. You owe that to yourself.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Guilt has never helped me, but I did have it for a while. Switching over and attempting to maintain was where I got stuck. I had been netting 1200 and I only jumped up to netting 1460, but it led to confusion. At first, I was still losing weight and then I started to minorly binge about once a week. The binging would lead to serious guilt and attempts to compensate for the extra calories. I finally had to train myself into not being as concerned. I track things, but at times I'll do them a couple of days later (instead of searching through menus and pre-logging basically every single thing I ate). It put an end to the binges. Now, when I realize I've eaten way over my calories for the day, I shrug it off. If my clothes feel tight, I'll cut down a little for a couple of weeks until they're back on track. The guilt was going to lead me to just give up entirely. It was only in convincing myself that it wasn't a crime to indulge in a healthy way, that I was able to move on and maintain.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear that there are some out there that get it! I am daily trying to focus on compassion and approaching my day-to-day decisions ( including the things I allow myself to think about myself) from a place of love, and not fear. Sound hoaky and silly...but, it is slowly helping. I really do agree that there is something of an idea in culture that if didn't take "blood, sweat, and tears" it isn't working.
    So...when I eat within my calories and macronutrients for the day and enjoy every bite of food that I ate....and then attend a Zumba class where I burn 700 calories and I'm smiling and having fun the whole time-my brain tells me something is off about this. I'm finding it's ultimately about allowing myself to enjoy the journey and to love and accept myself where I am NOW vs living for the "dream" life I'll someday have once I'm thin.