Just diagnosed HYPERTHYROIDISM

Options
Just totally scared to death right now. I had gained a few lbs to be exact 15 prior to diagnoses. I have lost 11 or those lbs and just found out on Monday I am hyperthyroid I am so scared to death of the meds not knowing what is happening. Everything I read is that the treatment for hypers gain weight. I have always battled the weight but finally lost weight 6 years ago and had been able to maintain until now........

Replies

• rhina23
    rhina23 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism few years back.
    I lost around 30-35 lbs ,even if I was a voracious eater.
    My eyes bulged and was trembling and sweaty.

So i had went on a treatment, continued even after 2 years.
    Then i started gaining weight.

The doctor said, i was over treated with the hyper.
    But after all the blood tests, my T3T4 ,etc were normal.

Although i have all the symptoms of hypo, my blood tests are not telling I am.
    I am now at my biggest( i was 221.9 lbs and lost 12 in 2 months) , my dr only told me to log my food and exercise 30 mins a day.

Just follow what your dr says. But be aware that you might get over treated, so maybe you could discuss that with him.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

If you take your meds & eat at maintenance, you will not gain weight.
  • kianacj
    kianacj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello there.

Just learning my way around the boards. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease in March, 2013. I had horrible hyperthyroidism and was losing my hair, trembling everything.

I lost my insurance, couldn't take my meds, and miraculously my Graves Disease went into remission. I still have hyperthyroidism symptoms and just started taking meds yesterday. I'm doing my fitness pal to keep from gaining weight while I'm on medication.
  • charlotte3679
    charlotte3679 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Is there a new Hyperthyroidism / Overactive Thyroid or Graves Disease board?
  • Jenni4w
    Jenni4w Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @charlotte3679 let me know if you’ve heard please as I’m a grave’s disease warrior and battle with my AIP Paleo plan.