Overweight and Diagnosed with HYPERthyroidism

Options
Hello All!

I am new *waves* but I have been struggling with my weight loss journey for several years. I would lose 10-20lbs in a safe amount of time, but then would gain 20-30 back in a short period of time. Several months ago, I have noticed that I've been very sleepy (although I've been working out), achy joints, continued gaining weight (thought it was muscle), cycles have always been irregular, shaky hands and migraines. I did have some vision problems prior to my other symptoms and I went to see an Ophthalmologist (my vision was getting blurrier as the day went on). After several testings and several pokings on my eyeballs (lol) he mentioned to me that my eyelids would swell, hence why the blurry vision. I figured that I knew the reason as to why I was having these problems, so I kind of pushed them aside. Of course my joints went from just one ankle to two, then moved to both knees and now both sides of my hips. I made an appointment since a friend mentioned about thyroids. Blood work came back and I have Hyperthyroidism (no diabetes). Hmmmmmm, funny because as much as I (use to) workout and eating the right foods as well as portions, I shouldn't be weighing 200+. Another funny thing about my weight is that it will be all over the place. I would weigh 215, then the next day 200, then back up to 210, down 206, back up to 220, then down 190, down again to 186, then back up to 215 although I have NOT changed any eating habits.

Any advice?

Thanks

Replies

• Lizzey8282
    Lizzey8282 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism a couple of weeks ago. I had been feeling really unwell, in particular really anxious and nervous for no reason which is not like me. My throat was swollen and tight, and I had a temperature, shakes all over and migraines. I have since been on carbimazol which is bringing my T4 and T3 levels down and also beta blockers for the shakes and high heart rate.
    When I first started feeling unwell about 5 or 6 weeks ago I put on about 8lbs in a the space of a couple of weeks because I was so hungry all the time and was eating non-stop. But just before I was diagnosed and feeling at my worst, I started losing and have lost about 9lbs in the last few weeks so am now just under what I was at the beginning but still can’t stop eating.
    I am hoping this is going to change once my levels get back to normal, but my Dr has warned me that it will be hit and miss with the medication and I’ll find my levels go up and down, so my metabolism will go up and down and so will my hunger and my weight....
    My Dr has also warned me that exercise can be a bit of an issue whilst I'm still on the beta-blockers as this can cause an intolerence to exercise as my heart rate will not rise as it should do normally when you exercise.
    I'm hoping long term to just try to calorie count and adjust depending on how my weight reacts. Lots of people seem to say that once the levels come down more you just have to try to find what works for yourself.

Anyway - I hope you are feeling better? I just can't wait to start feeling normal again.
  • MamaPhyl1961
    Options
    Journey182 I have that problem too. Gaining and losing, up and down for three years now. It is all since I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. Everyone told me that I would start losing weight just by taking gluten out of my diet. But that is not the case so I have taken dairy, refined sugars, soy out of my diet still no luck losing. So I started MFP yesterday and it seems that healthy eating is still tricking. Even the fresh fruit that I thought was a good thing is not because it's still sugar. I went over my sugar allowance by 31 on my first day because of the healthy fresh fruits that I have on a daily basis. My son suggested to have one serving of fruit a day to keep the sugar intake to a minimal. And just a FYI all your symptoms that you talk about in your post are linked to Celiac Disease maybe that's something you should think about.

Good luck hope things turn around for you :)
  • kianacj
    kianacj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I'm looking for any help or suggestions for losing weight while on hyperthyroid meds. (methimazole) It's amazing but I can gain or lose 10 lbs in one day depending what type of mood my thyroid is in. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.