Gained 25 lbs in a few days

Hi, in August I went to a trip around Europe and basically didn't eat much, just salads mostly and after have lost about 15 lbs in 2-3 weeks. Well my school hasn't started yet so I said to myself that I will really use up this free time and do something with my body, so I started exercising 2 hours a day (mostly cardio) and I normally don't do any exercise... and eating just one protein bar for breakfast (I really didn't feel like eating anything after the exercise). After that week I was really exhausted so I stopped doing that and after just stayed at home, relaxing and eating. I always ate more but never really gained .. but this time I have gained 25 pounds in 5 days and kept it up for 2 weeks now, which I believe is not just a water retention .. even my family don't believe their eyes how quickly I gained it and how have I basically managed to put on so much in so little time and now I feel so bad, no clothes can fit me...
Does anybody know why I have gained so much weight in so little time? I feel so demotivated, I weigh 200lbs now I am 6'0 and I just feel so frustrated after this experience... Thank you for help :(

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Here's the deal, you CAN put on 25 lbs of fat in a few days. It's physically possible however EXTREMELY improbable. a pound of fat gain requires a caloric surplus of 3500 calories (3500 over maintenance). So 25 lbs of fat would be 87,500 calories over maintenance in the time 5 day period. That's an average of 17,500 calories over maintenance per day. You would know if you were doing that. I can't say even on my worst cheat day ever I ate close to that many calories, let alone kept doing it for 5 days in a row.

Here are some possible causes to why you had a 25 lb weight gain. I'll list them in the order I think is most likely to least likely. It's probably a combination of several of the factors listed below:

1. Your scale is broken. Was it the same scale you got all the reading from? If so, it's probably broken, if not, then you probably have a major discrepancy between scales and how much weight you actually gained is probably far less then you think.

2. You gained some water. While 25 lbs of water gain would probably cause some pitting edema (you can push you skin in and it stays indented for a while) 10 lbs of water gain would not. For the additional 15 lbs see point #1

3. You gained some fat. You can gain fat if you ate more then you burned. Probably nothing close to 25 lbs but it could be part of the problem. As for accounting for the rest of the gains see points 1 & 2.

4. You are making this up or exaggerating the numbers/time frame.

5. The laws of physics do not apply to your body.

Again I listed those in the likelihood that they are the cause of the problem.
  • marywalsh3718
    marywalsh3718 Posts: 18 Member
    VERY informative VISMAL!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    If you aren't lying, you should call the doctor immediately or go to the emergency room.

People don't gain weight like that by eating.
  • Thank you for your elaborate answer, Vismal
    I was weighed by a doctor and yes I had some serious feet swelling right after - that was the reason I went for a check up. But the edema has gone and I still weigh the same :( I just hope I hadnt massed up my body by this and could still lose weight normally. Today for instance I went on an elliptical but after 10 minutes I had to go down because I got tired so easily. I have heard it was because my body gets tired faster when it weighs more... And I am not adding up the numbers, unfortunately..
  • vismal
    Thank you for your elaborate answer, Vismal
    I was weighed by a doctor and yes I had some serious feet swelling right after - that was the reason I went for a check up. But the edema has gone and I still weigh the same :( I just hope I hadnt massed up my body by this and could still lose weight normally. Today for instance I went on an elliptical but after 10 minutes I had to go down because I got tired so easily. I have heard it was because my body gets tired faster when it weighs more... And I am not adding up the numbers, unfortunately..
    The doctor weighed you before and after the gains? Like you went to the doctor, got weighed, went back 5 days later and got weighed again? If not then you are comparing 2 weights from different scales. While I would hope your doctor's scale isn't broken, the other scale used very well might be.
  • No I have weighed myself at home and the number matches the doctors' measurement.. now as I think of it, I was taking these slim pills... think they might have some counter effect?
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Did the doctor have any explanation for the weight gain?
  • vismal
    No I have weighed myself at home and the number matches the doctors' measurement.. now as I think of it, I was taking these slim pills... think they might have some counter effect?
    What I'm saying is that your home scale could be broken. The before weight might not be accurate. I don't think weight loss pills made you gain 25 lbs..
  • Did the doctor have any explanation for the weight gain?

he said it is only water retention
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    I know this wasn't your original question, but I would highly highly encourage you to do some studying and learn about proper nutrition and caloric intake before you get back on the elliptical. It might be a contributor to why you are feeling so exhausted.

Also, about the slim pills... not knowing what you took, all I can say is that while slim pills don't generally cause people to gain weight, many are renowned for their side effects!!
  • Here's the deal, you CAN put on 25 lbs of fat in a few days. It's physically possible however EXTREMELY improbable. a pound of fat gain requires a caloric surplus of 3500 calories (3500 over maintenance). So 25 lbs of fat would be 87,500 calories over maintenance in the time 5 day period. That's an average of 17,500 calories over maintenance per day. You would know if you were doing that. I can't say even on my worst cheat day ever I ate close to that many calories, let alone kept doing it for 5 days in a row.

Here are some possible causes to why you had a 25 lb weight gain. I'll list them in the order I think is most likely to least likely. It's probably a combination of several of the factors listed below:

1. Your scale is broken. Was it the same scale you got all the reading from? If so, it's probably broken, if not, then you probably have a major discrepancy between scales and how much weight you actually gained is probably far less then you think.

2. You gained some water. While 25 lbs of water gain would probably cause some pitting edema (you can push you skin in and it stays indented for a while) 10 lbs of water gain would not. For the additional 15 lbs see point #1

3. You gained some fat. You can gain fat if you ate more then you burned. Probably nothing close to 25 lbs but it could be part of the problem. As for accounting for the rest of the gains see points 1 & 2.

4. You are making this up or exaggerating the numbers/time frame.

5. The laws of physics do not apply to your body.

Again I listed those in the likelihood that they are the cause of the problem.
    +1,000
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,916 Member
    Weight gain came from water, glycogen and fat storage. You ate in surplus of what your TDEE. If it's a 25lbs gain, then possibly you were eating/drinking way less calories than you needed to. Chalk it up to trial and error now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thank you for your elaborate answer, Vismal
    The doctor weighed you before and after the gains? Like you went to the doctor, got weighed, went back 5 days later and got weighed again? If not then you are comparing 2 weights from different scales. While I would hope your doctor's scale isn't broken, the other scale used very well might be.
    Did the dr weigh you in the same cloths as your weigh in 5 days prior? Cloths and shoes can easily add 5lbs to your weight.