When do you start buying new clothes?

Options

Replies

• BonjourChristina
    Options
    You can buy clothes from stores that carry the same designs through seasons. My friend found the same pants she bought 2 years ago still selling in her fav store. She now has 2 identical pair of trousers only one is 2 years old and shabby and 3 sizes to big. It's funny to compare them together. Hers were from J.Crew from their permanent "iconic" collection. Many brands do that.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If you are still going down. I say hit a thrift store. No use investing in expensive new clothes you'll be out of soon.

29509743.png
  • jen_mv
    jen_mv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Usually I buy new clothes when I feel particularly impulsive.
  • jchadden42
    Options
    I bought clothes at Goodwill and consignment shops along the way. They were my "temporary" wardrobe. I also got rid of the clothes that were too big. I figured that keeping them made it easy for me to slack off. If my "new" pants are tight, I can just fall back on my "fat" clothes. If my new pants are too tight, I need to do something to rectify that situation now.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I bought clothes at Goodwill and consignment shops along the way. They were my "temporary" wardrobe. I also got rid of the clothes that were too big. I figured that keeping them made it easy for me to slack off. If my "new" pants are tight, I can just fall back on my "fat" clothes. If my new pants are too tight, I need to do something to rectify that situation now.

^ THIS is great advice. I got rid of all my bigger clothes, except for one pair of shorts from my heaviest days that I am keeping around just for laughs. Wearing clothes that fit well makes me feel better about myself, and if I start gaining weight again, I'll notice.

Thrift stores are your friend. I also got a couple pairs of jeans from Old Navy while I was losing - they're cheaply made, but they hold up OK if you're not planning to keep them forever.
  • arrielle10
    Options
    I want to lose 80 total, I've lost 14 so far and I have pants in a range of sizes. Like 14-18. So I will probably be okay until I get pretty close to my goal weight.

If you are only halfway to your goal, I personally wouldn't want to spend a lot. Maybe hit up consignment shops or grab a belt.
  • beachykeen81
    beachykeen81 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love thrift stores for this! And now that I fit into stuff better (and look better in it) I must admit that I love shopping! When I go down a size it's an instant reward for my hard work. Instead of rewarding myself with a food treat, I buy new workout clothes. And as soon as something is too big, I get rid of it. Never going back so I don't need it!
  • heidispideymfp
    heidispideymfp Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I buy as soon as
    1: my old ones fall apart
    2: I fit into the size down
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    If you are still going down. I say hit a thrift store. No use investing in expensive new clothes you'll be out of soon.

29509743.png

I buy most of my stuff at the thrift store anyhow, so I second the idea.

I'm guilty of buying things I can't wear yet because I found them on a 50% off day. I'm not going to turn down a Mr. Bubbles t-shirt or a Sheldon Cooper for President t-shirt. Even if I still have like 10-15 pounds to go before I can actually wear them. :laugh:
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    As soon as they started to look like I was getting my clothes from a Tent Shop it was off to Goodwill with the old clothes.
    I mean you can only tighten the belt so much before it starts to look Really Bad so suck it up and go get a few things.
    I Picked up 3 new to me pants and golf shirts to muddle through to the next smaller size.
    Watched WalMart for a Jean/Shirt sale to get two pairs in my current size and one size down for the next stage.
    If it's not on sale I don't need it right then, I can wait a few weeks.

But I do try to keep one nice dress shirt/pants combination in my Wardrobe at all times as you never know when the Golden Opportunity of your life comes knocking on your door and you want something nice to wear so you can Dress to Impress.
    Even though I hate cloth shopping ( it's a guy thing if you can't do it in 5 minutes or less you are wasting time ) It still felt good to stand in front of the mirror and realize that Damm I Look GOOOOOD in this.

I have kept 1 old Sweater and old pants as a reminder of where I was and never want to go back to.
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options

^ THIS is great advice. I got rid of all my bigger clothes, except for one pair of shorts from my heaviest days that I am keeping around just for laughs. Wearing clothes that fit well makes me feel better about myself, and if I start gaining weight again, I'll notice.

Thrift stores are your friend. I also got a couple pairs of jeans from Old Navy while I was losing - they're cheaply made, but they hold up OK if you're not planning to keep them forever.

I've also done this. Bought some new clothes and gave away my old ones.
    There is no way I'm ever going back to a size 20.... EVER!!!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    "Fearing" you'll need them again or worrying that you'll jinx yourself is simply a form of self-sabotage. Don't do that to yourself! Have faith in yourself. Get rid of the too big clothes!

But in the meantime…until you get to your goal weight… thrift stores are your friend. And don't buy too much. Just a few basic pieces that will go with everything and be versatile enough for every occasion. And personally, I choose to buy something that is just a touch smaller than I would normally want to wear, because then it will last through more pounds lost (Not so small that I can't wear it comfortably… but just a touch tighter than I normally would go for).

Alterations might work well for you too. If you have to go down too much… it gets a little trickier (and may not be worth the trouble). But it can help buy you some time with your clothes.
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering this too. We are constantly losing that we kind of find it a waste to go buy new clothes. But I think its also awesome motivation to do so. Maybe not go crazy but a few new outfits its okay I think.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just go in your b-day suit. Can't be spending too much in this economy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    At the change of season pretty much. And I skipped shirts until I was close enough to my goal weight. This way the only clothes I bought but only wore for a few months were shorts last Summer (and bras, but you don't care about that :laugh: ).
  • Solar_Cat
    Solar_Cat Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've just one small point to add to the advice here. Folks talk about reaching goal weight as the point when it makes sense to invest in a new wardrobe. In my prior experience (been through this several times before), my body continues to remodel for a couple of months after reaching goal weight. So I'd say wait until you're solidly established in maintenance and you don't see further changes in measurements happening. Otherwise you may find that even your "goal weight" clothes are too large.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I second (and third) the suggestion of thrift stores. I just bought a pair of jeans in a smaller size this weekend. I don't think I'll wear them long. I hope to get the next size down soon!

Me too! I go every Sunday for the $1.29 sale. I even get jeans and shirts too small to use as motivation and mini goals. I am down only one size right now. I have 3 pairs of jeans to fit into and try them on every week to see how close to getting them buttoned or zipped.

I also shop clearance for things to just get me to the next size. I found 3 pair of shorts to work out in at Wal-Mart for $3 a piece. Works for me when I know they will fall off me in a few months.

But, I told my sister when I get down 2 or 2/12 sizes everything too big goes except my favorite t-shirts. (Sorry but it will too hard to give up my Dr. Who t-shirts...I will figure out how to modify them before I'll give them up.)

I've been pretty much the same size for around 15 years or more. I have an extensive closet..or two, plus totes full. On one side it will be hard to give up all of them. But, on the flip side - new me, new size, new clothes, more closet space! Even if I fluctuated weight some I never got rid of my clothes. I think I was fine growing back into them. No more of that!
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    I'm not buying new clothes until I hit my goal.
    I don't want to buy new clothes more than once. My belt is doing it for me.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm down almost 20lbs now (almost at the halfway point) and most of my clothes are a bit baggy on me now. My pants are now falling down on me if I don't wear a belt. My wife keeps telling me I need to go buy new ones, but for some reason I keep thinking that if I do I'll jinx myself.

It was rather scary for me to buy new clothes, but I did it anyway, and it felt good. I mostly buy used, so I'm not spending as much, at least. I actually enjoy trying on clothes now.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    every two sizes. but i only buy stuff on super clearance like from the macys clearance center... cause i dont want to be mad when stuff doesnt fit me again. and i buy stuff even if it isnt a size i am in yet if its close but only because i have been sticking with this long enough to have faith in my momentum. also its kind of motivating.