Foraging for fitness?

Options
So... I have a great degree of varied interests, one of which is suvivalism. And, granted, I'm no Les Stroud, I do have some knowledge of how to live off the land. This, combined with being fortunate enough to live way out in the rural Oregon, has made me think.

Coastal Oregon is a forest. The forest is full of natural, healthy foods. I want to eat natural and healthy. I should eat Oregon...Foraging.

Now, granted, this is a rare skill, and one which I have neglected. But does anyone have experience with this, or have any recommendations? Blackberries are just ending their season, and they (literally) grow right outside my door. But I also know that mushroom season will be starting soon. And, as it so happens, the route I like to hike has a hot spot for wild mushrooms. Chanterelle, Bolete, Hodgehog, Lobster, and a host of other edibles.

So, does anyone have experience with foraging within the frame of reference of fitness? Any edible plants that may live in my area that they are familiar with?

*NOTE*: If you are inspired to go pick wild mushrooms DO NOT!!! Unless you have an VERY good idea of what you are looking for. Wild mushrooms are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Literally, one misidentified mushroom can KILL YOU OUTRIGHT. If you are interested in trying to find ANY wild edible plant, SEEK A PROFESSIONAL to teach you what wont KILL YOU. As well as try to find a good book on the subject of foraging and edible plant identification. ESPECIALLY in the case of mushrooms, as they almost ALWAYS have DEADLY lookalikes.

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything but I just wanted to say that is Effing Awesome! I wish that I lived out there becasue I would totally go foraging with an experienced person. I read about this crazy fungus that is like orangish and it grows on trees and tastes kinda like chicken.

Anyway, that sounds like fun and I hope you find some good stuff. Since it's Oregon, you will probably find some cannabis too so be careful; you may end up in someones crop and I'm sure he has a gun. haha.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I love the idea of foraging and do a bit here in Norcal (so can't help you with specific plants). Try looking on Meetup.com for local foraging groups in your area. There also have to be some apps out there that would be helpful.
    Jealous of all of your mushrooms you have up there! Yum.
  • ChrisCross0
    Options
    I don't know anything but I just wanted to say that is Effing Awesome! I wish that I lived out there becasue I would totally go foraging with an experienced person. I read about this crazy fungus that is like orangish and it grows on trees and tastes kinda like chicken.

Anyway, that sounds like fun and I hope you find some good stuff. Since it's Oregon, you will probably find some cannabis too so be careful; you may end up in someones crop and I'm sure he has a gun. haha.

Yup. Forest Chicken, iirc. There is also "Witches Butter" which is supposed to be edible, though I have never tried it. I only really feel confidant being able to identify a handful of species. Though, you can get a license and be authorized to sell wild mushrooms. A certain rare type around here sells for nearly 500 USD a pound. I used to know a couple of people that made a few thousand every mushrooms season from selling edibles.

As for the pot crops, I know how to avoid them. And I used to work a very public job, so most people know my face... You be surprised the number of stoners come to me for hook-up, with no idea that I have been clean for years. I would be more worried about the damn tweakers in the area.
    I love the idea of foraging and do a bit here in Norcal (so can't help you with specific plants). Try looking on Meetup.com for local foraging groups in your area. There also have to be some apps out there that would be helpful.
    Jealous of all of your mushrooms you have up there! Yum.

Actually, Norcal should have most of the same edibles that I have here. Though, it bares repeating, learn your stuff before you go looking for them.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I live in the mid west, so somewhat different on the specific plants, but in general:

We're going into fall, so more root/storage plant parts right now. Basically you eat the part of the plant that is growing. In fall, many plants are storing up energy for the winter, so for your edibles you are going to be digging this time of year. In the spring you eat the new growth, shoots and greens. And be polite: always leave enough for the plant to come back. A good rule is take no more than a fourth of what is growing in an area.
  • SandyBVTN
    SandyBVTN Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful idea! I'm in the northwest too, but in Canada - we do have similar climates though. Mushrooms and berries are what comes to mind for me first as well. Also nettles. Do you have them in OR? Obviously forage carefully and research first as you don't want to be stung. Do you have wild ramps or fiddleheads as well? If you live near the coast, seaweed might be an option too.

Best of luck!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Being fall I second the idea that right now it is going to be mostly fungus and tubers/roots. You might be able to get some cat tails that would be a good starch. You can also start looking at what is falling out of the trees :) Over here on the east coast it is acorns, apples, and black walnuts.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I love foraging. If you're new to it, start collecting field guides. The Peterson's guides are all good. My favorites are the Wildflower one, Edible Plants, and Medicinal Plants. Another book you might find useful is "Botany in a Day." Just keep going out with your guides and identify as many plants as possible.

I live in south Georgia, where the winters are very mild, so there's always something growing near my house.

The wild grapes and purslane are done for the summer, but now it's time for greens here: green onions, plantain, wood sorrel, yellow dock and chickweed are my favorites. They go in my salads and soups all winter.

Websites I find useful for foraging information are
    http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/
    http://susunweed.com/

:smile:
  • ChrisCross0
    Options
    Yeah. I have no idea what kind of root plants grow around here, though that shouldn't be difficult information to find. Though I know we have Lambs Quarter, Fiddle Head, and rose in the area. I was told the rose hip (the fruiting body) is VERY high in vitamin C. My stepmother used to harvest some and made us eat them. They were pretty good iirc. I do live coastal, so I could investigate the seaweed angle, and I was told by some hippies that kelp was edible (I'm not sure of the difference between kelp and seaweed actually). Also the region I live is has a bit of fame for a type of wild bay that grows in the area.

Yeah, so I wanted to get a bit of time on the punching bag in. My bag (homemade) hangs from this tree in the backyard. Its nice and sheltered from the elements. The only problem is, I only ever workout barefoot and the tree produces this hard fruit that is annoying to step on. So, I started to rake up the area where the bag is hanging.

The rake slices open on of the fruits, and, to my utter surprise, there is a nut inside. I take out my knife, and peel the husk from around the nut... turns out its a walnut. I have been living here for a few years, and totally never noticed I have a fricken walnut tree outside. How did I miss that one?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I love foraging of all types.

I'm going to be bringing home a good amount of meat once the duck season opens. Something I've done in previous hunting seasons (can't do it where I live now) is to bring home fiddleheads with me in the spring. Cat tail roots are coming up to be edible now. We have a good number of mustards, lambsfoot, and berries. However, I'd not touch mushrooms. :)
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I have no idea what kind of root plants grow around here, though that shouldn't be difficult information to find. Though I know we have Lambs Quarter, Fiddle Head, and rose in the area. I was told the rose hip (the fruiting body) is VERY high in vitamin C. My stepmother used to harvest some and made us eat them. They were pretty good iirc. I do live coastal, so I could investigate the seaweed angle, and I was told by some hippies that kelp was edible (I'm not sure of the difference between kelp and seaweed actually). Also the region I live is has a bit of fame for a type of wild bay that grows in the area.

Yeah, so I wanted to get a bit of time on the punching bag in. My bag (homemade) hangs from this tree in the backyard. Its nice and sheltered from the elements. The only problem is, I only ever workout barefoot and the tree produces this hard fruit that is annoying to step on. So, I started to rake up the area where the bag is hanging.

The rake slices open on of the fruits, and, to my utter surprise, there is a nut inside. I take out my knife, and peel the husk from around the nut... turns out its a walnut. I have been living here for a few years, and totally never noticed I have a fricken walnut tree outside. How did I miss that one?

You're killing me with the walnut tree story! It's fun when you start realizing food is everywhere.

I tried to establish some lamb's quarters in my backyard (found it growing wild and plantnapped it -- I do that a lot), but I think my chickens found it. :grumble:

And kelp is seaweed. There's all different kinds of seaweed and almost all of it is awesome. I can never find enough on the beach here to make a meal, though.

Y'all are inspiring me. My job got cancelled today, so I think I need to put on some bug spray and head out the door this morning...

PS For anyone interested, here's what I take with me foraging:
    - field guides
    - small scissors
    - trowel
    - 5-10 plastic grocery bags
    - hand wipes