52.5lbs in 92 days

Options
Just went to my general physician this morning, and I'm very excited. I lost a total of 52.5lbs since I've started using myfitnesspal to monitor my meals and exercise. I've tried other diets in the pasts, which have had limited success, but with this I feel good, (don't think I look any different), and have ease following this system.

I'm a larger guy, started off at 350 lbs and was very disappointed I let myself get over 300. Granted I'm 6'3" and built like a linebacker, but even the NFL has large guys that aren't the most "fit" (search Paul Soliai), but for being someone who isn't the most active 350lbs was larger than I wanted. With my frame, I want to get back down to 280lbs, and I'm nearly there.

I'm so glad to be where I'm at at this time in my new lifestyle. I really don't like the idea of weight-loss, so I've never been much for tracking my weight. I think people get too obsessed about the arbitrary number of their weight. As such I try to only weight myself every few weeks just to get an idea of my progress. I really wished I had discovered this app months ago.

My "diet" had been a relatively simple one. To begin with MFP recommended like 2650 kcal/day for me, which I thought was obscenely high, so I spent a week logging my food (without any adjustments) to see about how many calories I was consuming on a regular basis. I'm a vegetarian, so I generally eat healthier already, but still a veggie sub sandwich, can still blow out your nutrition goals for a day depending upon what's in it. After seeing my daily (I don't recall what it was) I decided 1900 kcal, was the goal to do. I generally stay to my goal, with a little more exercise on the days I go over, and a bit more to eat on the days I'm doing a lot of physical work.

I do need to improve upon my exercise plan though. I take my dogs on a 35-45min walk 2.5-3mph about 2 times a week, and really this has been my only exercise regiment. I fear that my weight loss is going to slow down if I don't pick this up. After all, I'm exercising without the extra 50lbs I was hauling when I started. For me, I've been trying to change how I eat most of all. I really don't enjoy "junk food" so it's been probably 6 months since my last candy bar, 3 years since I had ice cream or anything similar, and probably 7-9 months since I've had a cookie. That being said, I was consuming far too many carbs with bread. Bread has been the only thing I have really cut from my normal diet. I order Jimmy John's as an unwich, stop putting croutons on my salad, and do without toast at breakfast. Other than that I eat almost all of the same foods, just balanced now.

Everyone at the doctors office today was asking what I was doing, and I am very proud to say, I'm not doing any crazy no-fat, liquid-only, or pill assisted diet. Instead I tell them I've made a change to start eating healthier, and balancing my calories and nutrition each day. Since I am less concerned about my weight, and more concerned about how to eat healthier, and how to exercise moderately, I believe this is a lifestyle change I can continue for years to come.

Thank you, myfitnesspal!

Replies

• christhenix
    christhenix Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding. Well done. Keep up the good work. :smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great job!
    Keep up the good work!
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    That's great work you've done so far!
    Glad you are not too concerned with the numbers as I feel that is what stresses most people who are losing weight do.
    It's also great you're doing it to just be healthier, that's the best part of the entire post to me. Congrats on your success, and keep doing what you're doing!
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • crunchergirl
    crunchergirl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • brendasharp9801
    brendasharp9801 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good Job!!
  • altogethergrand
    Options
    Congrats!
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!! And I love your no stress attitude to losing weight. Something I could learn to do a bit better.

What a brilliant first post :)
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Great success :). You must feel wonderful! Congrats
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Such an awesome and inspiring read! GREAT JOB!
  • MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So inspirational!
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    awesome, blossom! Keep up the great work. I noticed that you have some goals outlined, too. Goals are so important in a good maintenance plan.
  • Jlamont2020
    Jlamont2020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I haven't really told anyone that I'm trying to get healthier and get a to a healthier weight, so I've been waiting for one of my friends from work to notice and say that they've been able to see a difference, since I really haven't yet. That being said, with watermelon season coming to an end, I'm not sure what I'm going to switch to to help boost my carb input each day. (Normally vegetarian meats foods are pretty high in protein and about 30% fat). I've been eating watermelon with my lunch as I can have a decent sized ring, for about 300 calories, and it'll give me a large percentage of the carbohydrates I need each day (I'm avoiding bread because I have little self control with bread). Any suggestions of a high carbohydrate, low calorie food like watermelon?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!