I thought I knew what I was doing but....

Options
Ok, let me repeat this back to you so you can tell me if I'm correct. I can use MFP in two ways.

A. I can put into the settings that I don't work out and actually log my work outs when I do. My settings would say that I work out 0 times per week, and then when I do, I log it using MFP.

B. I can put into the settings that I DO work out say 3 times per week. With this setting I DO NOT log any work outs because MFP has already accounted for them with this setting.

I have been using MFP for a year and didn't realize that I was setting MFP for 3 workouts a week, logging my workouts, AND THEN eating it all back. Dumb me. I know that there is a lot of talk about this in the forums, so don't throw darts at me for this topic. (hey, who threw that...). I just need clarification that I am NOW finally on the right path.

Have a great weekend!!!!:drinker:

Replies

• higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to workout 5 days a week for 30 minutes and I still log them.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yes that is correct that is the 2 ways of logging, but honestly if the current way your using it works stick with it!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Telling MFP how often you will exercise doesn't change your calorie goal...
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Ok, let me repeat this back to you so you can tell me if I'm correct. I can use MFP in two ways.

A. I can put into the settings that I don't work out and actually log my work outs when I do. My settings would say that I work out 0 times per week, and then when I do, I log it using MFP.

B. I can put into the settings that I DO work out say 3 times per week. With this setting I DO NOT log any work outs because MFP has already accounted for them with this setting.

I have been using MFP for a year and didn't realize that I was setting MFP for 3 workouts a week, logging my workouts, AND THEN eating it all back. Dumb me. I know that there is a lot of talk about this in the forums, so don't throw darts at me for this topic. (hey, who threw that...). I just need clarification that I am NOW finally on the right path.

Have a great weekend!!!!:drinker:

No, this is not actually correct. Many food trackers do work that way, but not MFP.

If you enter a higher activity level because of your workouts (or if you get your calorie goal elsewhere where you took them into account), THEN you would not enter or track them back. But the 3x/week goal for workouts doesn't change your calories. (try it -- set your goals with 0 times a week and then set them with 7 times a week and see).
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    MFP ignores the planned exercise you list when it figures your calorie goals. You can tell it you'll work out 5x a week or 0 and it will spit out the same calorie goal. Your stats, weight loss/gain goal, and activity level are what MFP uses to figure your calories. You'd have to adjust those to get a different number.
  • Cheyenelikewyoming
    Options
    Ok, So, I'm a teacher for 4 days a week and for 3 days a week I'm a housewife. Is this sedentary, or lightly active????
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ok, So, I'm a teacher for 4 days a week and for 3 days a week I'm a housewife. Is this sedentary, or lightly active????

I would say you're at least lightly active.