Nike+ FuelBand SE or Jawbone UP or Garmin Vivofit ?

Options
Hello pals,

I'm considering getting one of these to have better control over weight loss (lost 19.1Kg - ~42lbs since early May, about 4kg - ~9lbs left to my ideal weight, so far I'm using MyFitnessPal along with Runtastic Pedometer Pro and Runtastic Sit-Ups free version to monitor my walking, trempoline, pool, .... and would like to have the better control over exercising level (even more that I started doing sit-ups and that I'm feeling ready for such intense activities) and calories burning measurements accuracy that the heart rate feature provides + not having to carry my Nexus 5 Android cell phone everywhere.
I have to say that I like the Nike+ but is isn't integrated yet to MFP and nobody is giving an ETA. The Jawbone UP seems to be the equivalent of the Nike+ but without the onboard display, the Garmin has the display but seems to be a level or two down compared to Nike and JawBone. So I'd like some advice and feedback from people that already have an activity tracker.

Replies

• SoarerGT72
    Options
    I read on the Jawbone & Nike websites that I can't take it in the pool, which is then eliminating the UP or UP24 & Nike+ FuelBand SE from my potential choices :( Which now means that my choices are the Garmin Vivofit or the Fitbit Flex.

Is there anyone using any of these and able to help with decision making?
  • scronen
    scronen Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping someone has some input as I'm looking at getting the Garmin vivofit. I do water aerobics and need something waterproof.
  • lizlashley2009
    lizlashley2009 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and I took it swimming shower and watermarks this summer and still works great
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Bump! Looking to get the jawbone up24, but still debating....
  • SoarerGT72
    Options
    The Nike and Jawbone are not waterproof, splash proof at the best.

The Flex is waterproof up to 10 meters deep, the VivoFit goes up to 50 meters (not making a big difference for most people, as not everyone does underwater activities), this is the screen that can make the difference. The heart monitor doesn't come built in even for packages including this feature, this is a belt (waterproof? I just asked Garmin support will let you know the answer when I have it). I heard that the VivoFit has some sync issue with MFP, I didn't read much on the subject yet, but Garmin support says that this can be fixed by making sure that your profile is the same (weight, height, age) bot on MFP and Garmin Connect. If the sync bug is just a few calories missing or over the real figure, this isn't such a big deal until a next update. If this that is syncs to MFP both calories burnt during activities and the calories that we burn sleeping, breathing,.... then this is a problem.

Feedback from Garmin owners would give a better clue.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I really like my vivofit. I already had a garmin connect account from using my forerunner, so that is why picked the vivofit. I don't seem to have issues with mfp syncing. Sometimes it syncs weird and gives me weird calories, but then takes them away, so in the end it balances out and is fine. I never had a fit bit or anything else, so I don't know what I am missing, I guess. :-) I don't use it in the water. I took it off for swimming. My main exercise is running.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Hello pals,

I'm considering getting one of these to have better control over weight loss (lost 19.1Kg - ~42lbs since early May, about 4kg - ~9lbs left to my ideal weight, so far I'm using MyFitnessPal along with Runtastic Pedometer Pro and Runtastic Sit-Ups free version to monitor my walking, trempoline, pool, .... and would like to have the better control over exercising level (even more that I started doing sit-ups and that I'm feeling ready for such intense activities) and calories burning measurements accuracy that the heart rate feature provides + not having to carry my Nexus 5 Android cell phone everywhere.
    I have to say that I like the Nike+ but is isn't integrated yet to MFP and nobody is giving an ETA. The Jawbone UP seems to be the equivalent of the Nike+ but without the onboard display, the Garmin has the display but seems to be a level or two down compared to Nike and JawBone. So I'd like some advice and feedback from people that already have an activity tracker.

I'm wondering why you think the Vivofit is a step or two down from the Nike and Jawbone? If it's just aesthetics, ok, after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder :smile:

But from a technical and functional perspective, the Viviofit is significantly more advanced than either of the other two.

For instance, neither the Nike or UP can be used with a HRM, making them essentially useless for any kind of exercise beyond walking.

Vivofit waterproof to 50m, the others, not so much.

Battery life: Nike = 3 days, UP = 7 days, Vivofit = 365 days This is important in that you are supposed to wear the devices 24/7 to track TDEE, sleep etc. Hard to do if you have to keep on taking them off to recharge or take a bath, go for a swim.

UP has no display, Nike has limited data displayed

Vivofit has good integration to MFP, Nike has none.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    if you use a HRM strap get the Vivofit.
    If you don't, get the Fitbit (although I prefer the One over the Flex) - slightly cheaper and autosync.
  • kccorey
    kccorey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been researching this for a while... personally, I'm waiting for the Basis Peak which is scheduled to be released by the end of the year. It's the only fitness tracker I could find that has all of the features I'm looking for. Jawbone UP was a close second and I have friends that rave about it, it also has a lot of pretty negative reviews.

Only drawback on the Peak is that the current Basis doesn't interface with MFP, I'm hoping that will change with the new model.
  • radimage
    Options
    The brand new Garmin Vivosmart is completely water proof, and has all kinds of bells and whistles. I love mine.
  • stephanie763
    stephanie763 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've had the Vivofit for a few months now as well and really love it. I haven't had any issues syncing to MFP at all, it only counts calories burned, not calories while sleeping, eating, etc.

I also really like all the displays on the band as well, you can get the steps for the day, remaining steps until goal, time, date, heart rate, etc, right on your wrist at any time, which I don't think the Fitbit can do. Just a small detail, but keeps me from wearing a watch AND the wrist band at all times.

Another big plus for me is that the battery lasts for a full year, minimum. I have enough to think about trying to make sure my cell phone is charged every night, there's no way I'd remember charging something else every night! I just put in on my wrist and it's good to go for a year, no need to worry about it whatsoever.

Also, the inactivity monitor is also really good on the vivofit. It's just a red line that shows up on the band if you haven't moved for over an hour. Only big enough for you to notice it, not everyone around you. I haven't had the Fitbit, so somebody else might be able to confirm, but I think it vibrates if you haven't moved for an hour and keeps vibrating every 15 minutes after that. I sit at my desk for 8 hours a day, and don't always get to move around every hour necessarily (trying! but sometimes have tight deadlines!), so something vibrating on my arm every so often would drive me crazy.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit and my wife uses a Fitbit. She had the fitbit for months before I got mine, I kinda used her as a demo to see if I would like it. First it is important to say that she likes hers. She only uses it for step tracking though.

I love the Vivofit! It just has so many features that the fitbit doesn't have.

1. The constant battery charging...that's really annoying!
    2. The heart rate monitor. I thought I might find the chest strap (which is water resistant btw) annoying to use but I really don't. I've never used one before so I wasn't sure if that would be annoying but I really don't mind it at all. That ones just a personal preference I guess.
    3. All of the info on the display: time, date, HR, steps, steps to and over goal, miles, and cals all one click away. Plus I actually found that the movement bar has really encouraged me to keep moving...and that is the point.
    4. I have heard some negative comments about the Garmin connect, but I actually like it. It has everything I need and sinks well with MFP.
    5. Water resistance...I never take it off. Makes it easy to use.

The only negative thing that I can think of that I would like is the GPS tracking capability, but that really isn't realistic with a one year battery. So I am willing to give that up for the convenience of never charging it.

So in conclusion I can recommend the Vivofit. I never thought I would be saying this, but I really enjoy wearing it!

Hope this helps,

Jonathan
  • SoarerGT72
    Options
    I'm wondering why you think the Vivofit is a step or two down from the Nike and Jawbone? If it's just aesthetics, ok, after all beauty is in the eye of the beholder :smile:

But from a technical and functional perspective, the Viviofit is significantly more advanced than either of the other two.

For instance, neither the Nike or UP can be used with a HRM, making them essentially useless for any kind of exercise beyond walking.

Vivofit waterproof to 50m, the others, not so much.

Battery life: Nike = 3 days, UP = 7 days, Vivofit = 365 days This is important in that you are supposed to wear the devices 24/7 to track TDEE, sleep etc. Hard to do if you have to keep on taking them off to recharge or take a bath, go for a swim.

UP has no display, Nike has limited data displayed

Vivofit has good integration to MFP, Nike has none.

I agree on all your statements, my references are only from what I have read here and on some reviews. After some researched and a few conversations with Garmin Support (I wrote to Jawbone support and confirmed that it is only splash resistant at the best and they stated 'firmly' that it will never be nor will ever support HRM).
    At this time BestBuy USA has the exclusivity for the VivoSmart, I'm not sure if it is able to monitor swimming unlike the VivoFit, Price tag is 169.99 (no HRM) to $199.99 (No HRM), I'm not sure I want to spend that much money for features that are for sure cool to have but not essential to me, also I will not get the HRM strap as it is not waterproof and that I'm not sure if I want to have it around my chest, I first thought it was built-in the bracelet. So it looks like I'll be getting the VivoFit as it is waterproof and has been manufactured by a well known experienced player.